Haswell vs Skylake

Skylake is about 10% faster than Haswell.

But also 10% more expencive xD 

I would suggest you to get Skylake for future proof upgrades.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

32 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Skylake is about 10% faster than Haswell.

But also 10% more expencive xD 

I would suggest you to get Skylake for future proof upgrades.

+DDR4... That adds to the overall cost... (With Haswell you keep your DDR3 RAM) As for futureproofing... Kaby lake will be slightly faster than Skylake and thus not worth upgrading to (Just like Haswell and Broadwell) ;-)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Well, my situation was a little different than yours as I already had a Z87 MOBO I got for free from my uncle, an extra 650w seasonic psu i bought off ebay for $25(well, it came in a case so it was pretty much free since i needed the case anyway), a 270X from the same uncle, and 24gb of 1600mhz ram from craigslist for $20. So I had basically an entire build minus storage/cpu/OS.  I've had a G3258 in it as a place holder for months waiting for the upgrade. Haswell was the easy, obvious choice since the gains aren't that great. So, naturally, I went with Skylake (it was an anniversary present).  

Truly, it's because the bundles at Microcenter are extremely good deals.  It cost my wife ~450 for a z170 gaming 5, a 6700K, and 16gb Crucial Ballistix 2666 DDR4. The 4790K was $318 out the door with tax, so it cost me ~130 more for it.  I'm extremely happy, but the idea of letting the other stuff go to waste didn't sit right with me either. I mean, i have been waiting for that upgrade for EVER!!! So, I ordered a 4770K off ebay for $170.  And now I have my new skylake PC, and my wife has a badass photoshop rig, and I get to play with both!  

So, what I'm saying is scour craigslist and ebay, go to microcenter, and get both!  :D  Oh, and having an awesome uncle wouldn't hurt either. 

22 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

Well, my situation was a little different than yours as I already had a Z87 MOBO I got for free from my uncle, an extra 650w seasonic psu i bought off ebay for $25(well, it came in a case so it was pretty much free since i needed the case anyway), a 270X from the same uncle, and 24gb of 1600mhz ram from craigslist for $20. So I had basically an entire build minus storage/cpu/OS.  I've had a G3258 in it as a place holder for months waiting for the upgrade. Haswell was the easy, obvious choice since the gains aren't that great. So, naturally, I went with Skylake (it was an anniversary present).  

Truly, it's because the bundles at Microcenter are extremely good deals.  It cost my wife ~450 for a z170 gaming 5, a 6700K, and 16gb Crucial Ballistix 2666 DDR4. The 4790K was $318 out the door with tax, so it cost me ~130 more for it.  I'm extremely happy, but the idea of letting the other stuff go to waste didn't sit right with me either. I mean, i have been waiting for that upgrade for EVER!!! So, I ordered a 4770K off ebay for $170.  And now I have my new skylake PC, and my wife has a badass photoshop rig, and I get to play with both!  

So, what I'm saying is scour craigslist and ebay, go to microcenter, and get both!  :D  Oh, and having an awesome uncle wouldn't hurt either. 

sadly my uncle is not a baller like your's lol, but ill try ebay and microcenter!

On 28 May 2016 at 4:32 PM, JonathanH said:

So is the biggest change from Haswell to Skylake the ability to use DDR4?

If you're interested in gaming.

Difference between i7 4790k and 6700k is around 5% (in gaming). If you buy new go with Skylake (because of DDR 4 and Z170.

If you can find a good 2nd hand deal on an Haswell i7 I'd go for that so you can spend more on a GPU. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Vode said:

If you're interested in gaming.

Difference between i7 4790k and 6700k is around 5% (in gaming). If you buy new go with Skylake (because of DDR 4 and Z170.

If you can find a good 2nd hand deal on an Haswell i7 I'd go for that so you can spend more on a GPU. 

I'm currently not looking for a GPU, maybe in the future when the 1070 drops in price :P 

Well if you plan to upgrade, then in my opinnion go for Skylake.

The reason is very simple, Haswell is pretty much a dead platform.

Not only is the platform itself EOL, also DDR3 is EOL and on its way out.

This will mean that at the moment DDR3 is still widly availeble, but this will change in the near future.

Upgrading your ram will endup to become more costly, since DDR3 wont get produced anymore.

Next to that same counts for socket 1150 motherboards.

You still can pick them up, but we allready start to see them fase out.

Prices for replacement parts will only rise over time.

Next to that Skylake platform does ofc offer some very nice additional feutures wenn it comes to connectivity arround the board.

For example native nvme support, and usb3.1

But next to that the platform itself also has some nice benefits over Haswell.

Like a dmi3.0 bus instead of dmi2.0 on Haswell.

And 20 additional pcie 3.0 lanes on the pch on Z170, instead of only 8 lanes on Z97.

Also DDR4 cost just as much as DDR3 atm.

My advice go Skylake, or wait for Kabylake on Z270.

Or maybe even AMD ZEN.

Investing in an dead platform that Haswell basicly is, doesnt realy make a whole lot of sense to me.

Another option might also be something like a Skylake Xeon E3-1230-V5 or similar on a C232 or C236 chipset board.

If you realy like to have 4 cores 8 threads, and dont care about overclocking.

alot of mixed opinions in here but to be honest it all depends on you're own budget and also what you wish to replace from you're current rig alot of people say go skylake because of the percentage gains over haswell yet im still waiting to see some actual gains from skylake over haswell and this is from my experience with it. I have a couple of rigs built 1 is x99 and the others are skylake and z97 yes i dont use them all right now but when i do use them for what they are needed for IN MY EXPERIENCE my z97 that is overclocked to 4.7 and the same goes for my skylake i still say my z97 beats the skylake but each has there own opinion.

What you should do is go and do some research properly on haswell (if you are considering it) and the same for skylake work out which you prefer  or think you would benefit more from and go from there that is my opinion for you :) but everyone has there own views and opinions

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew