PWM fan help

12jdlovins

Hello all, I'm going to be attempting to do the kraken g10 mod on my 980 ti in the upcoming month and just gathering information to make sure I understand everything. After watching a few videos such as this it seems most people recommend to purchase a fan adapter to control the speed of the fan via the GPU it self when using an after market 92mm fan. if the aftermarket fan is 4pin and the gpu fan header is 4pin why is an adapter needed?

Is it because the 4pin header on the gpu is meant for a different kind of fan?

Thanks!

edit: oh i think i understand why now, it just wouldn't fit because the header is shaped weirdly. 

9 hours ago, 12jdlovins said:

edit: oh i think i understand why now, it just wouldn't fit because the header is shaped weirdly. 

Yeah, it wouldn't fit otherwise. Another note though. You could control that cooler with mobo headers using Speedfan. But it would need lot more to do than using GPUs header and MSI Afterburner.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yeah, it wouldn't fit otherwise. Another note though. You could control that cooler with mobo headers using Speedfan. But it would need lot more to do than using GPUs header and MSI Afterburner.

Eh ill just pay the couple bucks for one to use the gpu header. Thanks for the reply!