Programming in Windows (coming from Linux/OSX)

Background: Alright so I'm an avid programmer and I'm so used to working in Linux and/or OSX.  I use sublime text 2 as my text editor because it is AMAZING!  :D seriously check it out, if you haven't. And I just use the terminal to compile or do whatever else I need to do. I mostly work in C, C++, Ruby, and Python.  I'm also using github for some projects.

Questions: How do you compile or get things done without a terminal!?! With a terminal I can compile, run, and test programs AND do all my git actions. 

I have install msysgit on my pc along with github, so I can use git bash to do all my git actions but I still can't compile using gcc. 

Now I'm currently installing cygwin so I can compile, but will I still be able to use git commands?

gonna have to get an IDE to compile.... they will compile and run the code. There are different IDE's for different languages

thats why windows is meh

ps. I use vim

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

gonna have to get an IDE to compile.... they will compile and run the code. There are different IDE's for different languages

thats why windows is meh

ps. I use vim

All of the above!

We have a saying in Portuguese that applies to you case: "Passaste de cavalo para burro!"

Yeah I used to use vim in terminal. Ehhh I don't want an IDE...

All of the above!

We have a saying in Portuguese that applies to you case: "Passaste de cavalo para burro!"

Haha!! that quote is perfect!

I'm still developing in OSX on my macbook but I would like to program on Windows too since I love typing on my mechanical keyboard at my desk. 

Haha!! that quote is perfect!

I'm still developing in OSX on my macbook but I would like to program on Windows too since I love typing on my mechanical keyboard at my desk. 

Well, I'm typing on a mechanical keyboard on my desk and running Linux!  :)

Maybe you can have the eclipse c++ plugin use microsoft's c++ compilers...? That would make it a 2-in-1.

But yeah, every time I needed to program in a new language I had to get a different IDE. Python, Scheme, Lisp, Prolog, C#, Java... all different pieces of software.

Well, I'm typing on a mechanical keyboard on my desk and running Linux!  :)

Maybe you can have the eclipse c++ plugin use microsoft's c++ compilers...? That would make it a 2-in-1.

But yeah, every time I needed to program in a new language I had to get a different IDE. Python, Scheme, Lisp, Prolog, C#, Java... all different pieces of software.

True but the main OS on my desktop is Windows because of gaming. See that's exactly what I don't want. 

Linux Virtual machine? I use Oracle's virtual box when I need a quick not windows OS fix. Another option is if you have another machine with linux is using Putty to SSH into it and work from there, I've done a little playing around in vim through ssh on my raspberry pi.

And while I'm not certain I know you can use git in windows but I'm not sure if the commands carry straight across. That will have to be looked into.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Good luck. You're gonna have to learn how to use Visual Studio for C/C++, because using MinGW (GCC etc for Windows) is abysmal and far too slow to compile. Hopefully when Clang is out and good for Windows it will be better, but for now you're in a tough situation.

What I wound up doing was writing my apps in Qt and developing on Linux / Mac, then cross-compiling for Windows.