Best Cherry Mx Switch for gaming

Hi guys, 

Im currently in the market for a new keyboard, ive have membrane keyboard for ages and my brother has just bought a corsair K95 RGB and I love the feel of it. He says its not the best for gaming as he has the brown switches. What switch would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Herbz

the corsair new silver switch. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

8 minutes ago, Herbz said:

Hi guys, 

Im currently in the market for a new keyboard, ive have membrane keyboard for ages and my brother has just bought a corsair K95 RGB and I love the feel of it. He says its not the best for gaming as he has the brown switches. What switch would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Herbz

Whatever switch you like the best.

I prefer browns, others reds, and some blues. A lot of people argue that the lightweight linear switch on the reds makes them superior for gaming. It's all subjective though.

Generally, people seem to like the linear switches the best for gaming cause they are easier to press multiple times due to there being nothing resisting the keypress. The lighter-weight linear ones would be Reds, while the heavier-weight linear ones would be Blacks. But like @MrBucket101 said, it's all subjective. I personally think Browns are a happy medium cause it still provides a little tactical bump, but not the full heavy click that the Blues provide. I would recommend trying your brother's K95 for a bit and see how you like those switches. If you feel you would like something lighter and more linear, then maybe go for Reds. If you need something with a more satisfying click, then try Blues.

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man

I vote either the new Cherry MX Speeds (Corsair limited exclusive) or Cherry MX Browns with o-rings.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

if you are going for linear switches id get the new corsair ones with cherry mx speeds (silvers). (K65/70). imo there is not a single reason to get the old linear switches now that they release superior ones. the old linear switches being black and red.

i have been using a keyboard with blue switches for 5 years now and got myself the new corsair. im not sure which i prefer i am still getting used to the new silvers and i misstype alot atm but i think itll get better. as said before in this thread it really is just preference. theoretically the silvers should actually be the best for gaming since the actuation distance is lower than any other switch, which means the commands you send through your keyboards should be faster than anyone else not using the same keyboard which COULD give you an edge in games. this is all just theory and in the end the most important thing is that you like the feel of the switches. they always said that blues and browns are the best for typing. and they certainly feel great. but typing on this new keyboard with the non tactile silvers feels pretty good as well. what ever you decide for get o- rings. they dampen the sound (if that is important to you) and they reduce the key traveldistance which means you can take your finger off of the key faster for typing or keyboard use in general.

MOBO MSI X99s Gaming 7 - CPU i7-5820K - RAM 16gb ddr4 Ram - GPU Zotac 980GTX Amp! Edition - CASE NZXT H440 - STORAGE 2 Crucial 256gb SSD (Raid 0) 6tb WD Green - PSU Corsair 850W - COOLER Be Quiet Dark Rock 3