Why do Xbox's suck up so much bandwidth?

live in an apartment with 2 other people and I've noticed that whenever my roommates use the xbox 360 with the internet, particularly in our apartment that the internet is pretty much unusable on any other computer in the apartment. I know it's possible to fix this by setting a limit to the Xbox's IP's bandwidth usage or give priority to other computers.

I just don't understand why the Xbox is so bad about hogging bandwidth. We can have every computer in the apartment streaming music, Netflix, surfing the net, or gaming and not have a problem, but the second the Xbox enters the equation everyone else's bandwidth goes bad and you can't load YouTube at 420p fast enough to avoid buffering on one other computer.

I just don't understand what is happening that slows down the connection so much. I wonder if streaming off chrome cast would be a better solution?

What's your internet plan's speed?

If you have decent speed, I'd blame your router. Why not try limiting the Xbox's bandwidth just to test it?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

5 minutes ago, tinverse said:

live in an apartment with 2 other people and I've noticed that whenever my roommates use the xbox 360 with the internet, particularly in our apartment that the internet is pretty much unusable on any other computer in the apartment. I know it's possible to fix this by setting a limit to the Xbox's IP's bandwidth usage or give priority to other computers.

I just don't understand why the Xbox is so bad about hogging bandwidth. We can have every computer in the apartment streaming music, Netflix, surfing the net, or gaming and not have a problem, but the second the Xbox enters the equation everyone else's bandwidth goes bad and you can't load YouTube at 420p fast enough to avoid buffering on one other computer.

I just don't understand what is happening that slows down the connection so much. I wonder if streaming off chrome cast would be a better solution?

That sounds like it could be the xbox's issue, or your modem hitting it's connections limits. I've never had issues running 2-3 xbox's and youtube and things

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

speedtest.net: 1.7/0.60 Mbps ping: 21

speedof.me: 90/40 kbps

without Netflix:

Speedtest.net: 18/11 Mbps ping: 18

speedof.me: 13/7.54 Mbps

I understand there will be an impact...but that seems like more than it should be right?

Some ISP modems are shit, especially if you gave those 2-in-1 modem/router.

Usually changing the DNS to Google and using your own router helps improve things.

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Some ISP modems are shit, especially if you gave those 2-in-1 modem/router.

Usually changing the DNS to Google and using your own router helps improve things.

How would I go about changing the DNS to google?

18 hours ago, tinverse said:

How would I go about changing the DNS to google?

Change the settings on your gateway. Google's primary is 8.8.8.8 and secondary is 8.8.7.7.