GPU running hot and Fans loud

So, I just finished moving my pc into a new case.  It was very loud previously, and now it is loud is not louder.  I just moved my build into a CM Storm Trooper, and I love the case ascetically, and it is very spacious.  But after moving all of my components, and moving two fans from my other case, (CM red led) a buzzing started.  I have a feeling that one is defective.  The motherboard fan controller won't change their speeds, probably because there is a fan splitter, but that hadn't stopped me from changing the speed before.  Also,  the gpu was running at 60C in idle,  I ramped up the GPU fan speed to bring the temp down and I was successful.  Currently it is running 39C but 50% fan speed.  Before it idled around 35C with no fans on (It's an ASUS Strix 970), what could be the cause and how can I get it to run like it used to?

How many case fans do you have total? How are they arranged (intake,exhaust)?

60 C isn't great for an idle temp but it is very far from the max of 92 ish C, so there's no reason to ramp up the fan speed just to bring down the temps

What's your ambient temperature?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

the strix is optimized for noise not temps

what is important is load temps

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

6 case fans total,  one 200mm, four 140mm.  The bottom two however  I disconnected because there was a buzzing, they were exhaust.  One in the back is intake, two on the hdd cages are exhaust.  GPU running 50C at idle has never happened before, so something had to change.  Ambient Temperature is 77F.

11 minutes ago, Baron623 said:

I disconnected because there was a buzzing, they were exhaust.  Ambient Temperature is 77F.

Those two could cause it. The fans on the bottom of the case draw cool air from the ground up out the top of the case.

And 77 F is pretty warm to begin with.

Also, it seems like you have negative pressure, I'd make the two at the front intake and the one at the back exhaust.

That'll also keep your CPU slightly cooler by drawing hot air away faster

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I moved to a single fan because the splitter was not allowing me to change the speed, so it was running full blast all the time.. I have changed the orientation of the fan multiple times and am still getting a buzzing from the bottom fan.  It only gets worse when I put on the other side panel.  It is not grinding against and cables, however, I may be in contact with the bottom of the case.  It is much better with one, so I am going to stop tinkering with it.  GPU is still incredibly hot, 65C at idle

Reinstalling GPU drivers, hoping for the best.

my 970 is running way under base clock also.  Started playing a game, and am not getting usual frame rates.  In afterburner, it shows my base and boost clock, and 898MHz is pretty far below 1100 base and 1253 boost

With my strix OC3 card I disable silent mode to keep a fan running. Keeping the card cool before load definitely helps things. I also made a custom fan curve that was more agressive 

• 3 weeks later...

I have discovered that the fans were not functioning correctly and the heat spreader was covered in dust.  I sent the card in to get repaired and all is well now.