Will my 4790K @ 4.6GHz bottleneck 2x GTX 1080 in SLI?

GrizzlyBear

Would really like to go all out with my GPU upgrade once the aftermarket models hit the market. But not sure if my CPU can handle them.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

You'll be fine. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

You won't have any issues. See my sig :)

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

5 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear said:

Would really like to go all out with my GPU upgrade out once the aftermarket models hit the market. But not sure if my CPU can handle them.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

It's one of the top CPUs out there.

I'll leave you at that to wonder if it'll handle those GPUs or not...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

You won't have any issues. See my sig :)

Thanks! And that's a sweet rig. ;)

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

Your CPU is really powerful enough to run these cards in SLI, you should not have any issues.
I was planning to go SLI 1070 or 1080 myself, and i only have 6600k non O/C.

12 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

Same CPU, same clock speed. What GPU are you running?

Currently running the almighty and infinitely powerful Intel HD4600 B|

Sold my 980Ti a while ago when the rumors of Pascal's nearing announcement kept getting more frequent.

2 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear said:

Sold my 980Ti a while ago when the rumors of Pascal's nearing announcement kept getting more frequent.

Smart :D Sell while it's still expensive.
You should be fine though. 4790k is stupid powerful so it'll handle 2 1080s without any issues.

16 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear said:

I want to upgrade to 1080 from my 780 Ti, but it's very expensive here in Europe. I'll wait to see the custom 1080's and also if the R9 (490X?) is a worthwhile alternative.

6 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

I want to upgrade to 1080 from my 780 Ti, but it's very expensive here in Europe. I'll wait to see the custom 1080's and also if the R9 (490X?) is a worthwhile alternative.

I live in Finland so I know the pain. I'll probably order mine from Germany though and save 100-150€ because of lower VAT and more competition pushing prices down etc.

By the way, I don't really want to create another topic for this but has there been any more information regarding that new HB SLI bridge and how it's supposed to improve SLI experience?

1 hour ago, GrizzlyBear said:

I live in Finland so I know the pain. I'll probably order mine from Germany though and save 100-150€ because of lower VAT and more competition pushing prices down etc.

By the way, I don't really want to create another topic for this but has there been any more information regarding that new HB SLI bridge and how it's supposed to improve SLI experience?

Improve? What do they mean? Like better frametimes? That's a big bold claim if that's true. Improving frametimes in multi GPU setups is a killer deal. If it's just "better bandwidth" "more rigid" probably just marketing gimmick.