Console in a PC case?

GTB_Greedy

Anyone got any knowledge on putting say a PS4 in a PC case?

i was wondering if it was possible to do so, as to make it look good you would probably have to build a case from scratch or do some serious modding to make it look any good.

i would want to use all the original PS4 parts and strip the console down and put the power supply at the back of the case so it would look just like a pc, then get hdmi + the other rear ports extension leads so they would all also be at the back of the case too. for the front i would again want a extension lead for the two usb so it would look normal and disc tray up front like a normal pc. i assume i would have to wire the case power button up to the PS4 motherboard.with it being in the case i could install a all in one liquid cooler with would make it run cooler and quieter and would look sick. this would probaly be easier with a xbox one with the external power pack and could use a keyboard and mouse on xbox (dont think u can on PS4) but its not as good of a console. 

before anyone says why dont i just get a pc... i have one but most people i play with use PS4, i cant play PS4 exclusive games on PC and it would just be cool.

2 minutes ago, GTB_Greedy said:

Anyone got any knowledge on putting say a PS4 in a PC case?

i was wondering if it was possible to do so, as to make it look good you would probably have to build a case from scratch or do some serious modding to make it look any good.

i would want to use all the original PS4 parts and strip the console down and put the power supply at the back of the case so it would look just like a pc, then get hdmi + the other rear ports extension leads so they would all also be at the back of the case too. for the front i would again want a extension lead for the two usb so it would look normal and disc tray up front like a normal pc. i assume i would have to wire the case power button up to the PS4 motherboard.with it being in the case i could install a all in one liquid cooler with would make it run cooler and quieter and would look sick. this would probaly be easier with a xbox one with the external power pack and could use a keyboard and mouse on xbox (dont think u can on PS4) but its not as good of a console. 

before anyone says why dont i just get a pc... i have one but most people i play with use PS4, i cant play PS4 exclusive games on PC and it would just be cool.

Get a huge case. Stuff the whole thing inside. Profit.

Never heard of such a thing. The rear IO would not match up with the case. A watercooler would not be easily mountable on the cpu as there are no mounting holes. TBH its not even a very pretty board. There is also the issue of very few to no holes in the board to mount from.

Its automatic, just press this button!

With enough time, money and resources, anything is possible.

I'd like to see a watercooled console, even though the logistics of doing that might be a bit... odd to add up.

I'm seeing a lot of custom work needed

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Well. if you have the skills to adjust a case or build one from scratch to fit the ps4´s components (nothiing is in pc case compatible format except for the hard drive)I see no reason why it wouldn´t work. You will have to watch out though as most connections between the mobo and the other components are ribbon cables which are just long enough to fit the ps4 case, as well as fan connectors. You would also have to adjust for decent airflow.

If you care about the looks of it (for example putting in a window to see the mobo) you will probably have to build a custom heatsink as the standard one covers the complete pcb, and the mobo itself also isn´t a thing of beauty.

If you can do it, have fun but i would advise to do the measurements and testfitting with a dead ps4 as the repair cost is insanely high and you will void your warranty to the point where its not even funny anymore.

4 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Never heard of such a thing. The rear IO would not match up with the case. A watercooler would not be easily mountable on the cpu as there are no mounting holes. TBH its not even a very pretty board. There is also the issue of very few to no holes in the board to mount from.

if i got a custom case made i could get the IO to match it would just be a wide case i would only use the power, hdmi and Ethernet so the others could be covered and it wouldn't matter that much. for mounting the board a custom case would have holes to match but if not i could build some sort of frame.

I think the reverse of this would be cooler.
Putting a PC inside of a PS4. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I mean you can buy any ATX or MATX case and put a PS4 inside it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

2 minutes ago, BerserkBear404 said:

Well. if you have the skills to adjust a case or build one from scratch to fit the ps4´s components (nothiing is in pc case compatible format except for the hard drive)I see no reason why it wouldn´t work. You will have to watch out though as most connections between the mobo and the other components are ribbon cables which are just long enough to fit the ps4 case, as well as fan connectors. You would also have to adjust for decent airflow.

If you care about the looks of it (for example putting in a window to see the mobo) you will probably have to build a custom heatsink as the standard one covers the complete pcb, and the mobo itself also isn´t a thing of beauty.

If you can do it, have fun but i would advise to do the measurements and testfitting with a dead ps4 as the repair cost is insanely high and you will void your warranty to the point where its not even funny anymore.

i wouldnt have a window it would probaly look nasty 

6 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

I'd like to see a watercooled console, even though the logistics of doing that might be a bit... odd to add up.

look on youtube watercooled consoles have been done but they look bad stick out of the small console cases 

1 minute ago, InsanelySecretD said:

Now, that's one way of approaching the concept...

maxresdefault.jpg

That looks horrible.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

This guy did it with 360 and ps3 in the same case. Would just take a bit of planning and modding.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, GTB_Greedy said:

i wouldnt have a window it would probaly look nasty 

I would think so. Here´s a video of a teardown so you can see what kind of work awaits you:

1 minute ago, BerserkBear404 said:

I would think so. Here´s a video of a teardown so you can see what kind of work awaits you:

i have already torn mine down before to clean it because it was getting really hot and loud thats when i came up with the idea 

3 minutes ago, GTB_Greedy said:

look on youtube watercooled consoles have been done but they look bad stick out of the small console cases 

This is PCMR we're talking about. We can make it work and look amazing.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

2 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Back in the day, some of the more "powerful" G5 macs that ran on the PowerPC architecture were water cooled as a standard.  Blew my mind to find one when tearing it down.  Then it clicked when Xbox360 kept having RRoD.  They used the same PowerPC processors and could probably have benefited from water cooling.  Water cooling has come a long ways.

On 5/23/2016 at 9:00 AM, revsilverspine said:

It's been done. Xbox 360 was a common enough mod, koolance even made a kit.

Black XB360 Internal Loop

Fully internal Blue XB360 (original thread was on the xbox-scene forums, unfortunately I think they're down now)

There are more examples but I don't have time to find them. Was one I remember really liking that had a red theme and these big external passive rads. Anyhow, google has more examples should you choose to search

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

My main testing/gaming system "Bitlo" is an upgraded HP Pavilion p6710f:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

Stock AMD cooler- with the undervolt that's all I actually need

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Every day carry: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150. Pentium P6200 @2.13GHz, 4GB RAM.

Black themed workstation I'm working on:

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

16GB (2x8) Adata XPG DDR3

Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB HDD

Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower case

• 2 years later...