Help needed with choosing a screen and some extra advice

Madnessqq

Hey, I'm interested in some advice about how to research a monitor for specific usage.
I am a student a uni and I'm studying computer graphics, animation in engineering to be exact and I was wondering on how should I choose a display?
I am mostly learning Maya and 3ds Max in addition we are learning Adobe  PR AE PS aside from programming.
So feel free to give as much advice as you can. I'm not going to buy a screen right now I'm just interested about this topic. 
Some final questions:
1. What would be a recommended working environment to which I should aim for?
2. When do diminishing returns come into play*related to cost)? 
3. How many screens?
4. Size? Resolution etc

Again any advice would be awesome about the things i mentioned 
Tnx for reading and soz for my sucky english :P

I got a GTX 650 2GB edition. Would be upgrading in the future to some workstation card but currently it is not necessary.

Probably a screen from asus's proart range as they are made specifically for graphic design work with high resolution and truer colour production

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

Depends on what you're doing exactly!

If you don't really care about picture and color precision because you mainly do animation or modeling, or because you're doing engineering project with no real need for pretty pictures, you won't need an expensive, high color fidelity IPS monitor. You'd probably be better with anything else with a low response time to avoid pixel soup when reviewing your animation. I'd also tell you to stay away from 120hz, since you will be doing work presentation or simple showings on classic 60hz monitors. 120hz would display too much useless details.

If you mainly work with 3DSM/Maya/AE, you WILL want at least 2 monitors ( two monitors side by side beat a high res monitor any day when it comes to graphic work, telling from experience ), no need for a higher res than 1080p/1200p and 24''.

Maybe you could try to take one monitor with good response times that will host Maya's viewports and everything interactive-related ( disregarding what I said earlier, maybe a 120hz display can be nice there ) with a good IPS on which you will display the render frame, AE's viewers, etc. Only issue would be that two different monitor models are near impossible to calibrate to match each other's colors, so you may have a slightly blue one and a slightly red one. Appart from the obvious fact that one picture won't look the same on each screen, you may strain your eyes.

If you're often lead to work on large picture on PS or Illustrator, though, a high res monitor will give you more working space.

Oh, don't change your GPU, those don't really matter so much when doing actual rendering. it all boils down to the render engine you're using, but the most common ( V-ray, Mental Ray, Arnold ) mostly depends on CPU and RAM. My workplace got some GTX 560ti and it's enough to do the job. Render farms don't even have GPUs unless they are using a GPU-base rendering solution. I don't really know anyone sadly.

I can't really recommend anything else, as I'm currently trying to find my own monitors. I'm going more the gaming route as I don't really work from home ( I'm a CG artist, animation, entertainment, advertising, etc ), but I wish you good luck.

you should get two monitors, one is just not enough and, for me at least, 3 is just too much.

What kind of work are you doing? will you need extremely accurate colors?(asus proArt) are you interested in more space per screen?(1440p)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE