Question about SLI

comdude2
Go to solution Solved by megaant4,

No, they just have to have the same amount of VRAM. Other than that any ther 980TI will work fine :) But why not wait and just grab a 1080? or two?

So I currently own this 980ti: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YMIJP6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I recently made the jump to 4K and my frames suffer a bit, the card is always maxed on GPU usage and I want to buy another 980ti and use SLI

The thing is, amazon no longer sells that 980ti, so I'm wondering, does it matter if i buy a different 980ti and use SLI? Does it need to be the same manufacturer etc?

Specs: Intel i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black edition, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury, Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti + Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti, Corsair 900D, 240GB Kingston SSD (Primary), 2 x 500GB Samsung 840 Evo, 2TB Toshiba HDD, 3TB Seagate HDD, Corsair 1000W RM 80+ Gold Ultra Quiet, 2 x AOC 1080p Monitors, Corsair H100i, Razer Deathstalker Ultimate, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 10 Pro, Gigabit LAN

No, they just have to have the same amount of VRAM. Other than that any ther 980TI will work fine :) But why not wait and just grab a 1080? or two?

as far as they are not on different pcb designs it should be fine. For example, you can's sli with the G1 version from gigabyte, but you can with this.

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

Thanks for the responses, will order it, if it doesn't work I can always return it I guess :P

Specs: Intel i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black edition, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury, Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti + Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti, Corsair 900D, 240GB Kingston SSD (Primary), 2 x 500GB Samsung 840 Evo, 2TB Toshiba HDD, 3TB Seagate HDD, Corsair 1000W RM 80+ Gold Ultra Quiet, 2 x AOC 1080p Monitors, Corsair H100i, Razer Deathstalker Ultimate, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 10 Pro, Gigabit LAN

3 minutes ago, costacis21 said:

as far as they are not on different pcb designs it should be fine. For example, you can's sli with the G1 version from gigabyte, but you can with this.

You can use different versions of the 980 Ti together in SLI, even if the boards are completely different because they are ultimately 980 Ti's. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

as far as i know, if they are on different PCB designs, it might lead to issues. For example, you can't sli a reference pcb with a non-reference pcb.

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

as far as i know, if they are on different PCB designs, it might lead to issues. For example, you can't sli a reference pcb with a non-reference pcb.

Why not? The SLI fingers are in the exact same spot? The only issue that is wrong with two different GPU is the VRAM?

5 minutes ago, costacis21 said:

You can SLI Them no problem. Please do not say stuff without knowing the facts, you only confuse those who dont know. See Linus video from their massive LG giveaway, one was a  reference card, the other was custom pcb. The only factor in what can and cannot SLI is Chipset, and all 980ti are the same chipset, just different binnings and coolers.

I am not an expert and you might be correct, but even if the SLI fingers are in the same spot, their wiring might be different.

9 minutes ago, costacis21 said:

For example, you can't sli a reference pcb with a non-reference pcb.

Yes you can.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, costacis21 said:

I am not an expert and you might be correct, but even if the SLI fingers are in the same spot, their wiring might be different.

It's not. The pin functions are the same. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's not. The pin functions are the same. 

Because you are a moderator, i will drop my case since your probably know more. However, i said "might" so don't quote me on saying that the fingers are not identical.

Just now, costacis21 said:

Because you are a moderator, i will drop my case since your probably know more. However, i said "might" so don't quote me on saying that the fingers are not identical.

Being a moderator doesn't make me right. Realistically, I could know very little about technology and still be a moderator. I've also been wrong on numerous occasions, so don't let my authority get in the way. Discussion is also good anyways. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Being a moderator doesn't make me right. Realistically, I could know very little about technology and still be a moderator. I've also been wrong on numerous occasions, so don't let my authority get in the way. Discussion is also good anyways. 

For some ungodly reason I thought you being a mod might have actually tested this :P Anws, I remember hearing about SLI requiring identical PCB designs, but i can't find anything online supporting that! 

For some ungodly reason I thought you being a mod might have actually tested this :P Anws, I remember hearing about SLI requiring identical PCB designs, but i can't find anything online supporting that! 

I haven't tested it, but NVIDIA standardizes the SLI fingers for their products so they all use the same design, unless otherwise specified. 

And to drive my point home, here's NVIDIA's response on the matter:

Spoiler

5555.JPG

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c3

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I haven't tested it, but NVIDIA standardizes the SLI fingers for their products so they all use the same design, unless otherwise specified. 

And to drive my point home, here's NVIDIA's response on the matter:

Reveal hidden contents

5555.JPG

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c3

I stumbled on that FAQ while trying to find from where I read that they must have identical PCB designs, but I didn't realize by "Manufacturer" they also meant different PCB designs. Thanks for clearing that up!