First time overclocking, need tips.

Hi,
I've been doing few research about overclocking the past year but i never done overclocking yet. This week i'm getting my new PC, Intel i5 6600k, Asus z170-a, 16 GB Corsair 3000Mhz Ram, Corsair CX600w Bronze Plus, NZXT Kraken X61 and temporary i will be using my GTX 960 until 1070 comes out. My Asus motherboard will have 5 way optimization, which will allow me to auto overclock. Would you guys recommend it for someone newbie like me? What the best result can i hit with my water cooler but low tier PSU? I don't want to kill my new CPU, i was thinking if i could hit max 4.5GHz if not 4.4 with this build with out decrease the life of me CPU?

3 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Never EVER Use auto overclocking software, do 1.35V 4.5, then increase multiplier until it crashes under load (Cinebench R15 Or aida 64)

^This

First, I would look at your BIOS and look at your settings. Get familiar with all it can do. Do things manually. Increase little by little. Remember, stability is the key. One could say they hit 5.0GHz and be able to boot it, but if it can't run anything intense without crashing, then it's not a good overclock.

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case

4 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

get a better psu before you oc tho

Which one would you recommmend? I may go for 1070 SLI in the future so might as well get one that can run them as well.

1 minute ago, MentalBlank said:

Which one would you recommmend? I may go for 1070 SLI in the future so might as well get one that can run them as well.

I wouldn't dream of doing an SLI config with your psu 

2 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

I wouldn't dream of doing an SLI config with your psu 

We know, he's asking what PSU to get

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, MentalBlank said:

dont SLI the 1070 just get a 1080, SLI is glitchy and not a a lot of games support it, get an PSU by EVGA cant go wrong with them 

1 minute ago, Neverender said:

^This

First, I would look at your BIOS and look at your settings. Get familiar with all it can do. Do things manually. Increase little by little. Remember, stability is the key. One could say they hit 5.0GHz and be able to boot it, but if it can't run anything intense without crashing, then it's not a good overclock.

Ok got it, i will wait to next month until i get my GTX 1070 and a good PSU.

Thank you all for the tips.

6 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

not well and that was my point

Except almost every game does support it well, and normally when it doesn't, it is because it is so old it would run fine on a GTX 280.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Except almost every game does support it well, and normally when it doesn't, it is because it is so old it would run fine on a GTX 280.

okay you tell him to waste more money then he needs to. thats not my problem 

30 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

As for overclocking, use Aida64 and prime95. Both programs will notify you of hardware errors (aida will stop the stress test altogether) so you may notice an instability before you crash the system.

Also, overclock your RAM as well! If your RAM has some good heat spreaders you can push the voltage a bit (I wouldn't go over 1.65V with DDR4, and I'm not sure if there's a utility that shows RAM temps but you'll be safe as long as the heat spreader isn't too hot to touch under stress). Additional bandwidth has impact on the performance of many new games (witcher 3, GTA V for example). You can also play with memory timings if you have a good chunk of tweaking time.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, MentalBlank said:

I would go for a 850 watt. Something from a reliable brand. Should be plenty enough. The 1070 is a pretty efficient card. http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator <-- Just put your system specs in there and it will tell you the power draw.

EDIT: I would go for a single 1080 since one better card is always better than a sli setup. also it shoulb be a bit cheaper. 1070 sli 379$x2=758$. 1080 600$.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

25 minutes ago, Energycore said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

As for overclocking, use Aida64 and prime95. Both programs will notify you of hardware errors (aida will stop the stress test altogether) so you may notice an instability before you crash the system.

Also, overclock your RAM as well! If your RAM has some good heat spreaders you can push the voltage a bit (I wouldn't go over 1.65V with DDR4, and I'm not sure if there's a utility that shows RAM temps but you'll be safe as long as the heat spreader isn't too hot to touch under stress). Additional bandwidth has impact on the performance of many new games (witcher 3, GTA V for example). You can also play with memory timings if you have a good chunk of tweaking time.

You shouldn't use Prime95.. the older versions are fine but the new ones are too tough on your cpu and may damage it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

Just now, JH275 said:

You shouldn't use Prime95.. the older versions are fine but the new ones are too tough on your cpu and may damage it.

Interesting. I still stand by AIDA64.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

A lot of people have said about that. Even linus in some of his oc guides.

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Interesting. I still stand by AIDA64.

AIDA64 is the bees knees. I like it because it can stress everything (CPU, GPU, RAM, hell, even your disks) at the same time and you can monitor temps all in the same program.

I understand why people are saying not to use the auto-overclocking features, but the Asus implementation isn't that bad. For someone who has never overclocked, it's not a bad idea to do the 5-way optimization thing and see what it thinks your 'best' OC will be. That will give you a decent starting point for overclocking any further. The changes Asus' software makes is mirrored in the BIOS, and any modifications you do in the BIOS will be reflected in the software. I personally got rid of all of Asus's software once I got my OC done, as it's pretty annoying (and it kept borking my GPU overclock), but as a starting point it's worth a shot.

1 hour ago, MentalBlank said:

I've been doing few research about overclocking the past year but i never done overclocking yet.  Would you guys recommend it for someone newbie like me?

At the risk of being blasphemous, I'd suggest you don't even bother. Unless you really think you might be interested in overclocking, water cooling, etc, the benefits of overclocking are not worth the bother or cost. (it's probably too late now, but you could save money by getting a non-K i5-6600, an H170 based board and a basic air cooler.)

If you're the type of person who just wants to OC and then forget about it, just remember that later on down the line, your OC may degrade and become unstable.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

15 minutes ago, Quaker said:

At the risk of being blasphemous, I'd suggest you don't even bother. Unless you really think you might be interested in overclocking, water cooling, etc, the benefits of overclocking are not worth the bother or cost. (it's probably too late now, but you could save money by getting a non-K i5-6600, an H170 based board and a basic air cooler.)

If you're the type of person who just wants to OC and then forget about it, just remember that later on down the line, your OC may degrade and become unstable.

I had enough nightmares with bad CPU's like my FX-8320, this time i'm going overkill even tho i only play League Of Legends and few moba games. I was going to buy Intel i7 6700k but i saw the benchmark and didn't see any different when it comes to gaming.