2.5inch vs 3.5inch HDD

PingKueh

Hi guys,

Would like to ask you guys about this. I came across at my local computer store that they display a 2.5inch WD Blue HDD. I have been using the usual 3.5inch HDD.

The point is, are there difference between the 2.5inch vs 3.5inch WD HDD? assume that both are same tech specs. 

[Music]

~Westone 4R(Reshelled) ~AKG K3003 ~AudioEngine A2+/White

[PC]

~Intel i5 6600K ~MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ~Sapphire Nitro R9 380X ~G.Skill RIPJAWS 8GB ~Seasonic G Series 650W ~CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Plus ~NZXT H440/White

11 minutes ago, PingKueh said:

Hi guys,

Would like to ask you guys about this. I came across at my local computer store that they display a 2.5inch WD Blue HDD. I have been using the usual 3.5inch HDD.

The point is, are there difference between the 2.5inch vs 3.5inch WD HDD? assume that both are same tech specs. 

2,5" hdd are normally 5400rpm against the 7200rpm of the most 3,5" hdd's

they are just ment for laptops and small formfactor builds.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

alrighty. Thanks for the help

[Music]

~Westone 4R(Reshelled) ~AKG K3003 ~AudioEngine A2+/White

[PC]

~Intel i5 6600K ~MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ~Sapphire Nitro R9 380X ~G.Skill RIPJAWS 8GB ~Seasonic G Series 650W ~CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Plus ~NZXT H440/White

14 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

2,5" hdd are normally 5400rpm against the 7200rpm of the most 3,5" hdd's

they are just ment for laptops and small formfactor builds.

Yeah well there are also 7200 / 10000 and even 15000 rpm 2.5inch drives for that matter.

Like WD Veloci Raptor, Scorpio blacks, Seagate Savvio´s, Hitachi Ultra stars etc.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah well there are also 7200 / 10000 and even 15000 rpm 2.5inch drives for that matter.

yes but they are very expensive. you can buy 1tb ssd's for that price.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

5 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

yes but they are very expensive. you can buy 1tb ssd's for that price.

Yeah wenn it comes to those 10 000 rpm and up storage drives, those are realy expensive.

Some 7200 rpm 2.5inch drives can still be found for a reasonable price.

But indeed for a desktop pc, i wouldnt even bother with 2.5inch drive anyway, unless you got a case without a hard drive cage.

But then i would just spend a bit more for an SSD.

Since SSD's are also starting to be become more affordable nowdays.

5400RPM isn't necessarily a bad thing for 2.5". The way hard drives work a smaller area to cover offsets a slower rotation speed, depending on where the data lives. There were tests done on 3.5" drives to firmware level prevent the drive from using the outer edges and found that they had better performance. Also the last of the Raptor drives were technically a 2.5" drive, but fitted in a 3.5" enclosure and had more platters than a typical 2.5" drive.

But say you have a 7200RPM 2.5" and 3.5" drive of the same capacity. The 2.5" drive is going to perform better because it's also denser.