Want to move HDD to optical drive bay, need help with the cable

hsjj3

Ok, I've never done this before, but I need to dismantle my HDD drive cage in my pre-built PC to make space to install an intake fan.

Now, I need help in terms of the cables. Based on the image below, there is a blue SATA cable to my HDD. There is also an Orange cable to my Disk Drive. The Blue cable is too short. Is it OK if I use the orange cable instead and connect it to my HDD when I move it to the empty drive bay? I don't need the optical drive anyway so I don't care if it doesn't have a cable going to it.

Also, in doing this, will I be able to load up my PC like normal, or will things get reset/HDD get wiped etc?

And finally, how do I make sure the HDD doesn't accidentally pop out if someone presses the disk drive "open" button (that brings out the disk tray) at the front of the PC?

Thanks!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2144k5i.jpg

The orange/blue cables are both sata cables. So either will work. Also, the HDD won't pop out lmao, the open button opens the disk drive, not the entire bay

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Long as the cable fits it should be fine, it wont be that secure though nothing will be lost.

2 minutes ago, Goldensapling said:

The orange/blue cables are both sata cables. So either will work. Also, the HDD won't pop out lmao, the open button opens the disk drive, not the entire bay

True

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Will I need to switch the positioning of the orange and blue cables on the motherboard, or does the configuration not matter?

30 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

Will I need to switch the positioning of the orange and blue cables on the motherboard, or does the configuration not matter?

take no chance, plug back the hdd in the same spot using the other cable.

If you want  to use the dvd, just buy a new sata cable, that's cheap and you can use both.

If your are not using the dvd at all, you can unplug the power, so the eject button will not work

To secure the hdd in place, you should look for a bracket to fit the hdd in the second dvd bay.

22 minutes ago, Alice in game said:

take no chance, plug back the hdd in the same spot using the other cable.

If you want  to use the dvd, just buy a new sata cable, that's cheap and you can use both.

If your are not using the dvd at all, you can unplug the power, so the eject button will not work

To secure the hdd in place, you should look for a bracket to fit the hdd in the second dvd bay.

Ok, and if I do this, the moment I turn on my PC it should boot up as per normal right? I won't need to play around with BIOS settings or anything would I?

9 hours ago, hsjj3 said:

Ok, and if I do this, the moment I turn on my PC it should boot up as per normal right? I won't need to play around with BIOS settings or anything would I?

No need to do anything in the bios.