Linux help

I am running Ubuntu on a 10 year old PC, I never thought for one second that the OS would run well but I didn't know it would run this badly. I can't open much at all without the computer taking a complete dumb. The PC is an ancient Dell Dimension 8400. Is there any way I can make it run better without upgrading the computer as the computer is really hard to upgrade.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Short answer, no. You're trying to run an OS (even though it's small) on a computer that's 10 years old. Trash that thing.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

You could try lubuntu

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

You should try an old version of ubuntu (if you aren't already) some other distro or try some light linux distro, like arch linux for example.

Signatures are stupid.

Ubuntu is actually pretty demanding these days, what with the new Unity interface. As others have suggested, you'll want to try a light-weight version of Linux. Avoid any distros that are using the Gnome front-end as well. You'll also need to say good-bye to memory-intensive applications like LibreOffice and Firefox/Chrome, unless you have at least 512 MB of RAM.

Todays linux distros need pretty good hardware to run smoothly if you whan't good looking system,

but try xubuntu or lubuntu, those might work better with older hardware.

I remember running puppy linux on an old 500mhz system.

ran fine for what I was doing at the time.

if you have more power, I really like xubuntu.

lightweight but doesn't feel like the "portable" os that puppy felt like.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac