Cooling my CPU

pluppy

Even after weeks of research an forum articles i am still not shure what type of cooler to use... Here's my build: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/YqmWYJ

Here are my pros and cons so far:

Water

• looks nice (+)
  • costs more (-)

Air (would buy the Nh-D15)

• costs less (+)
  • less noise (+)

I am not sure which cooling method is more efficient, please help me out and give me tips!

Yours pluppy

NOTE: YES I'LL WAIT FOR THE 1080!

WAIT!

Wait for the GTX 1080 you fool!

Also, watercooling is cooling efficient, aircooling is price efficient, with that I7, you clearly don't care too much about your wallet, get an AiO with a 24mm+ size rad.

5 minutes ago, pluppy said:

Even after weeks of research an forum articles i am still not shure what type of cooler to use... Here's my build: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/YqmWYJ

Here are my pros and cons so far:

Water

• looks nice (+)
  • costs more (-)

Air (would buy the Nh-D15)

• costs less (+)
  • less noise (+)

I am not sure which cooling method is more efficient, please help me out and give me tips!

Yours pluppy

noctua ftw

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Go with an air cooler, don't have to deal with pump noise and failure as well as it will be cheaper and often perform the same

As another member said, hold off on purchasing that GPU for at least another week for the 1080 reviews to come out.

1 minute ago, roughavoc said:

As another member said, hold off on purchasing that GPU for at least another week for the 1080 reviews to come out.

Or just get a 1080, even if it doesn't perform that much better than the 980ti, it's still less expensive.

2 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Or just get a 1080, even if it doesn't perform that much better than the 980ti, it's still less expensive.

no no no! You've forgot that i am not in the US! German prices:  980Ti ~650€ | 1080 min 700€

Water coolers can be quiet as well, especially if you stick some NF-F12s on them (although raising the cost even further). The only concern is pump noise but that's never been a problem for either of the coolers I've used (H100i and TD02-LITE).

I personally prefer AIOs for build aesthetics, ease of install, and more common case compatibility (well, versus the NH-D15), but I'm a bit more of a "form over function" kind of guy. Either way you go is purely preference, the NH-D15 is a very solid air cooler, matching high-end AIOs, but as far as aesthetics, AIO has that contest hands down.

1 minute ago, pluppy said:

no no no! 980Ti ~650€ | 1080 min 700€

If not the 1080, then the GTX 1070 is supposed to outperform the GTX 980 Ti and almost half the retail cost and significantly lower power consumption. That leaves you with money to save for SLI or to pour into the remainder of the build, such as getting a couple 3TB HDDs for redundant storage.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Watercooling adds point of failure. Go for Air cooling with fans in push-pull configuration... Even if one fan fails it will still operate at near peak efficiency!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Watercooling adds point of failure. Go for Air cooling with fans in push-pull configuration... Even if one fan fails it will still operate at near peak efficiency!

Noctua of course!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

46 minutes ago, pluppy said:

no no no! You've forgot that i am not in the US! German prices:  980Ti ~650€ | 1080 min 700€

980ti=$650

1080=$600

Not sure where you got that price for the 1080. Also, see next multi-quote.

42 minutes ago, Suika said:

If not the 1080, then the GTX 1070 is supposed to outperform the GTX 980 Ti and almost half the retail cost and significantly lower power consumption. That leaves you with money to save for SLI or to pour into the remainder of the build, such as getting a couple 3TB HDDs for redundant storage.

This.

36 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

More points of failure, yes, but it only really matters if you get an AiO from an unreliable company. Corsair, the Kraken x61, the new EK AiO's, etc., all highly reliable with bulletproof review's, and outstanding customer-support.

Just now, positivePXL said:

980ti=$650

1080=$600

This.

More points of failure, yes, but it only really matters if you get an AiO from an unreliable company. Corsair, the Kraken x61, the new EK AiO's, etc., all highly reliable with bulletproof review's, and outstanding customer-support.

Definitely but if you want the UTMOST in reliability air cooling is the way to go

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Definitely but if you want the UTMOST in reliability air cooling is the way to go

Example one:

You are using an air-cooler, you have an overclocked i7-6700k, you're gaming, your cpu is running at 80-85 C^o. 

In this example, your cpu dies in a few years, maybe even a few months if it gets hotter, but hey, at least your air cooler was reliable!

Example two:

You are using a water AiO cooler, same overclocked i7-6700k, you're gaming, your cpu is running at 60-65 C^o.

In this example, your cpu runs long enough that your cpu lasts almost a decade and is still running strong when you hand it down to your son/daughter before he/she breaks it in the first month of service, aren't they cute? Somewhere along the line, one of the fans on your Corsair H100i GTX radiator stops spinning, you noticed it when you turned on your computer one day and didn't see it spinning. You had to replace the fan, oh well.

1 hour ago, positivePXL said:

Example one:

You are using an air-cooler, you have an overclocked i7-6700k, you're gaming, your cpu is running at 80-85 C^o. 

In this example, your cpu dies in a few years, maybe even a few months if it gets hotter, but hey, at least your air cooler was reliable!

Example two:

You are using a water AiO cooler, same overclocked i7-6700k, you're gaming, your cpu is running at 60-65 C^o.

In this example, your cpu runs long enough that your cpu lasts almost a decade and is still running strong when you hand it down to your son/daughter before he/she breaks it in the first month of service, aren't they cute? Somewhere along the line, one of the fans on your Corsair H100i GTX radiator stops spinning, you noticed it when you turned on your computer one day and didn't see it spinning. You had to replace the fan, oh well.

You're right, air coolers are just decent for stock speeds and nothing more...

4 hours ago, positivePXL said:

with that I7, you clearly don't care too much about your wallet

Post = over

Credibility = very zero

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

15 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Post = over

Credibility = very zero

It's not like he was trying to save a few buckets by going with a 6700, a 6600k, a 6600, or even a 6500. He allotted for an i7 6700k, the most expensive Skylake chip on the market. I refuse to see how my credibility is very zero all things considered. If you really want to take care of your system, and you still want to overclock, liquid cooling is the most efficient manner by which to do so, I'm sorry if you see it otherwise.

18 hours ago, positivePXL said:

980ti=$650

1080=$600

My prices are right since i am NOT from the USA! I am in Germany and here the founders edition is released at May the 27th for over 700€ due to the taxes etc. 1 or 2 months there may will be some reference models out for over 600€.

6 minutes ago, pluppy said:

My prices are right since i am NOT from the USA! I am in Germany and here the founders edition is released at May the 27th for over 700€ due to the taxes etc. 1 or 2 months there may will be some reference models out for over 600€.

You might only be looking at "Founders Edition" Cards, otherwise, the 980ti has fallen a lot more in price in Germany than it has in the US, otherwise, all parties considered, the 980ti is more expensive than the 1080.

19 hours ago, positivePXL said:

Example one:

Example two:

Get a high end cooler and that won't happen lol

17 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You're right, air coolers are just decent for stock speeds and nothing more...

Really, hope it is sarcasm

3 hours ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Really, hope it is sarcasm

Of course it is! If you buy one of sufficient quality (e.g. Noctua) it will definitely outperform a lower-end water cooler,but not a custom loop. AND if your PUMP and not your fans fail you ain't gonna notice anything and end up killing your hardware... AiO liquid coolers have a very short lifespan btw...

54 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Of course it is! If you buy one of sufficient quality (e.g. Noctua) it will definitely outperform a lower-end water cooler,but not a custom loop. AND if your PUMP and not your fans fail you ain't gonna notice anything and end up killing your hardware... AiO liquid coolers have a very short lifespan btw...

Only if it is not a quality OEM, such as Corsair or NZXT. 

14 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Only if it is not a quality OEM, such as Corsair or NZXT. 

Well... Depends... If you are going to spend $100-200+ on an AiO Liquid Cooler, it shouldn't fail (unless defective). But the cheap, 50-70 dollar-ish, ones are NOT as reliable as an Air Cooler of the same price...

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well... Depends... If you are going to spend $100-200+ on an AiO Liquid Cooler, it shouldn't fail (unless defective). But the cheap, 50-70 dollar-ish, ones are NOT as reliable as an Air Cooler of the same price...

Not to mention that they might even have worse performance!