Ping From Address

Judahnator

I am trying to troubleshoot a connectivity issue between my server and one of my clients servers.

I can ping the remote server, but my server cannot. I think it might be because my servers main IP address might be blocked, but i cant really test this. Is there a way to ping from another address assigned to that box?

~Judah

Is the box on the same network? I would check and make sure that the local ip is not the same, I had a similar problem with my server because Dhcp was setup for both computers with the same ip.

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

if they are located in different networks you might need to add a route to the routingtable

with route -p add source mask broadcast gateway

like route -p add 192.168.10.1 mask 255.255.255.255 10.56.70.1

traceroute is also a way to see where the connection has the last "hop"

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 minute ago, Kobrastachka said:

Is the box on the same network? I would check and make sure that the local ip is not the same, I had a similar problem with my server because Dhcp was setup for both computers with the same ip.

It is not.

My box is with OVH and the remote box is with DotBlock.

Long story short, I am hosting a website for someone and they are using a product made by one of my ex-employers. I believe they have blacklisted my servers main IP address because nothing can get through (email, web, ping, etc). This normally isnt a problem, but this seems like a special case.

I talked to this company and they said it had to be a problem on my end (they dont like me much).

5 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Try running traceroute.

It goes all the way to their datacenter then times out.

~Judah

4 minutes ago, Judahnator said:

I talked to this company and they said it had to be a problem on my end (they dont like me much).

Unless your system has been compromised and are used for malicious activities without your knowledge and has been blocked for that reason, the traceroute should serve as proof that there's likely nothing wrong on your end.

2 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Unless your system has been compromised and are used for malicious activities without your knowledge and has been blocked for that reason, the traceroute should serve as proof that there's likely nothing wrong on your end.

They are just buthurt.

After I left them I asked if I could setup a small hosting company (this way I was not breaking non-compete agreements), and they laughed and said it would never work out but I was welcome to try my best. Very shortly after there was a mass-exodus of their clients onto my platform because I charged $80/month less then them for basic wordpress hosting.

This is why I am trying to test sending data from a different address, maybe one they dont know belongs to me. This way I can keep make the client happy and be able to get their product to work again

~Judah

Well, if they won't listen to you, maybe they'll listen to the customers? Tell your customer that you've done some research that revealed issues with the other company's servers. Just don't say they're doing it deliberately, to keep them from getting more butthurt and escalating the issue.

13 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Well, if they won't listen to you, maybe they'll listen to the customers? Tell your customer that you've done some research that revealed issues with the other company's servers. Just don't say they're doing it deliberately, to keep them from getting more butthurt and escalating the issue.

I guess that is the smarter thing to do.

Damn you logic, why must you win every time!

~Judah