4K Matte on SAGER NP8657 and NP8658 (CLEVO P650-RG)

I am having the damnedest time finding reviews on the MATTE version of this 4K G-Sync screen (Samsung LTN156FL02-101).  The glossy version has at least one great review (HTWingnut) which I would prefer, however, it is no longer an option. I've heard a rumor that matte coverings can ruin hi PPI screens. Does anybody know how I could get my eyeballs on one of these to see for myself? Thanks folks.

http://www.xoticpc.com/shared_product/index/configure/id/10290/

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 1.46.30 AM.png

2 hours ago, Hung Start said:

I am having the damnedest time finding reviews on the MATTE version of this 4K G-Sync screen (Samsung LTN156FL02-101).  The glossy version has at least one great review (HTWingnut) which I would prefer, however, it is no longer an option. I've heard a rumor that matte coverings can ruin hi PPI screens. Does anybody know how I could get my eyeballs on one of these to see for myself? Thanks folks.

http://www.xoticpc.com/shared_product/index/configure/id/10290/

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 1.46.30 AM.png

Glossy= light reflection

Matte= little to no light reflection

The glossy screen will look more vibrant, but will be a pain in the ass to use if you use it anywhere there is light that can reflect on the screen.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

34 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Glossy= light reflection

Matte= little to no light reflection

The glossy screen will look more vibrant, but will be a pain in the ass to use if you use it anywhere there is light that can reflect on the screen.

Not the question but thanks for trying.

I'm interested in reviews of the specific model. So far very limited reviews for the glossy are available and none for the matte. 

2 minutes ago, Hung Start said:

Not the question but thanks for trying.

I'm interested in reviews of the specific model. So far very limited reviews for the glossy are available and none for the matte. 

that is because there isn't any reviews yet and let me just say that the matte version will look good, since it is IPS.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Why would you want to get 4K on a laptop in the first place? 1080p should be more than enough on a laptop.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Daily web browsing, Netflix 4K. Even on 15.6" screens I see a huge improvement in sharpness. 

Gaming: Mid to high settings with 4K generally looks better to me than Ultra 1080p. If I want the Ultra then I can still run the 4K at 1080p. Totally worth the hassle of switching back and forth in my opinion. And it's only a $125 upgrade. 

1440p is the sweet spot but not many laptops with that option. 

1 minute ago, Hung Start said:

Daily web browsing, Netflix 4K. Even on 15.6" screens I see a huge improvement in sharpness. 

Gaming: Mid to high settings with 4K generally looks better to me than Ultra 1080p. If I want the Ultra then I can still run the 4K at 1080p. Totally worth the hassle of switching back and forth in my opinion. And it's only a $125 upgrade. 

1440p is the sweet spot but not many laptops with that option. 

You do know that a 980m is a little less powerfull than a gtx 970, so you wont really be able to game at 4k, so if that was your plan you should wait for the new mobile GPUs.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You do know that a 980m is a little less powerfull than a gtx 970, so you wont really be able to game at 4k, so if that was your plan you should wait for the new mobile GPUs.

What is it with you people? Read the OP. 

We are telling you it is not really worth it.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

1 minute ago, exercutor5 said:

We are telling you it is not really worth it.

I don't care what you think is worth it... read the OP.

4 minutes ago, Hung Start said:

You said that you wanted to play 4k mid setting and that is not going to happen with a 980m even a desktop with a GTX 980 ti can't run most games on mid setting 4k. 

If you did not read this yet " that is because there isn't any reviews yet and let me just say that the matte version will look good, since it is IPS. "

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You said that you wanted to play 4k mid setting and that is not going to happen with a 980m even a desktop with a GTX 980 ti can't run most games on mid setting 4k. 

If you did not read this yet " that is because there isn't any reviews yet and let me just say that the matte version will look good, since it is IPS. "

Simply being IPS says nothing about a screen's quality nor does it determine the type of anti glare coating they use. If you have nothing more to add then please stop. Thank you for trying.

If anyone owns this laptop or knows somebody that does. Please let me know. Thanks!

Simply being IPS says nothing about a screen's quality nor does it determine the type of anti glare coating they use. If you have nothing more to add then please stop. Thank you for trying.

If anyone owns this laptop or knows somebody that does. Please let me know. Thanks!

A IPS screen is better than a TN so yeah it says something about the quality.. I think you should do your own research then, I know this screen I have worked with it, but since you act like this I wont say anything more bye.

IPS vs TN is an opinion not a level of quality. 

I'm not trying to be an ass, just separating the facts from the opinions and trying to stay on topic. 

IPS vs TN is an opinion not a level of quality. 

It is a lvl of quality since a IPS screen has better color repoduction and viewing angels so yeah it is a lvl of quality.

I understand what you are saying. I also prefer IPS. I'm interested in how well the screen was implemented. Bleed, nits, matte coating affect on color, dead or stuck pixels, etc. 

38 minutes ago, Hung Start said:

I understand what you are saying. I also prefer IPS. I'm interested in how well the screen was implemented. Bleed, nits, matte coating affect on color, dead or stuck pixels, etc. 

It is a good screen, there was a little amount of bleed on the screen I bought (I fix laptops) and the brightness is good

2 hours ago, Hung Start said:

You know, you could buy the machine, check it, and return it if you dislike it. There is a 30-day return period no questions asked. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

4 hours ago, D2ultima said:

You know, you could buy the machine, check it, and return it if you dislike it. There is a 30-day return period no questions asked. 

Yea I might just have to go that route.

I was hoping to avoid this since they deduct shipping both ways, make you pay for return shipping insurance (or accept the risk), and deduct any promotional items that came with the laptop (i.e. free game deducted $60 instead of allowing you to return it unopened). So the cost could easily push $200 depending on promotions. 

8 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I have a 980ti and it can run games in medium at 4K even some on high with exceptions, on high games seem to run in late 40s to mid 50s which is acceptable, but in medium it defiantly runs at 60fps 

1 minute ago, Wiggyweir said:

I have a 980ti and it can run games in medium at 4K even some on high with exceptions, on high games seem to run in late 40s to mid 50s which is acceptable, but in medium it defiantly runs at 60fps 

What games? Because a 980ti in BF 4 has a average of about 44fps and drops down to about 30fps that is not nice to look at and 980 ti in sli can run Shadow of Mordor at about 55fps in 4k... A GTX 980 ti can't run 4k when it comes to demanding games, it can run less demanding games, but not games like BF4, Shadow of Mordor, crysis 3 and metro 2033.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

What games? Because a 980ti in BF 4 has a average of about 44fps and drops down to about 30fps that is not nice to look at and 980 ti in sli can run Shadow of Mordor at about 55fps in 4k... A GTX 980 ti can't run 4k when it comes to demanding games, it can run less demanding games, but not games like BF4, Shadow of Mordor, crysis 3 and metro 2033.

How about the games that people actually PLAY? Hell, Linus himself did a video on this, I figured you people would have seen that given you all probably follow the guy. :P $1,000 gaming desktop can run 4K no problem. No one really plays the latest Battlefield exclusively. It's not THAT great of a game. Try games like LoL and DOTA2, how about StarCraft 2 and WoW? Oh how about World of Tanks or War Thunder... or Armored Warfare?

The are PLENTY of games that you can easily enjoy maxed out on mid-range desktop and high-end mobile hardware. Just because you can't run a game at 60 FPS does NOT mean it's a worthless waste of time. That demographic needs to disappear. 60 FPS isn't even high end anymore; 144hz monitors are the new thing, so... if you can't do 144 FPS, then you're officially not high end. :P

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

6 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

How about the games that people actually PLAY? Hell, Linus himself did a video on this, I figured you people would have seen that given you all probably follow the guy. :P $1,000 gaming desktop can run 4K no problem. No one really plays the latest Battlefield exclusively. It's not THAT great of a game. Try games like LoL and DOTA2, how about StarCraft 2 and WoW? Oh how about World of Tanks or War Thunder... or Armored Warfare?

The are PLENTY of games that you can easily enjoy maxed out on mid-range desktop and high-end mobile hardware. Just because you can't run a game at 60 FPS does NOT mean it's a worthless waste of time. That demographic needs to disappear. 60 FPS isn't even high end anymore; 144hz monitors are the new thing, so... if you can't do 144 FPS, then you're officially not high end. :P

people play bf4 and all the other high end games. It is true that you don't need 60fps for a game to be play able, but 60fps really helps out to have in FPS games