Oculus rift

EcDarkSky

So guys after the question that Luke madr on twitter there was like 76% that refered the HTC vive to the oculus rift and i am still asking why so i would like you to tell me why HTC vive.

My personal thoughts why i think the oculus should be considered in a better way. First a lot of people say HTC got the controller but i disagree maybe you got a few games where thet are awesome but i still think that even gaming real games where you move around gonna be played without remote controller and racing games or Eve valkyrie should be played with a joystick or à stearing weal. And oculus gonna bring theyre controller to the market but they still gonna be offering a kit without them at a much more interesting privé point.

Si that my point of view. I would (and maybe i am gonna) buy à oculus because of the price and if i see nah i need the controller i am still gonna be able to do it.

Previously I would've bought a Rift too but now I'm leaning more towards the HTC Vive.

Both HMDs require you to sign shady agreements, Oculus is still owned by Facebook and I bet Facebook want's to take advantage of you buying the Rift (other than profit from selling), also if possible I don't wanna give Facebook money in any way.

Already said but I'll say it again, HTC Vive got the better controllers so if the game/VR experience uses motion controlls Vive will be the better bet. If you think you don't need that part of the VR experience, fine, but I think there's gotta be some change in how you control ego perspective video games in VR, it gotta be strange strange that the movement of your head is independent of your aiming/pointing. Games where you're stationary in a vehicle or similar wouldn't be a problem though.

If you're looking at the display capabilities themselves, they're practically even, same resolution, refresh rate, display technology (OLED) but slightly different covered field of view and latency, I read a test that when comparing the developer versions of both HMDs, the Rift had better latencys.

The HTC Vive uses OpenVR, which is a standard developers can just develop for and other HMD manufacturers could implement, Oculus Rift on the other hand depends on exclusive deals with video game developers, kinda creating a walled garden. If not 'Modders already breaking Oculus Rift exclusivity'.

'Modders already breaking Oculus Rift exclusivity': it's likely that in future most PC VR games will support both HMDs if they don't already. When used as a seated experience there really isn't much difference between the two and they even have the same resolution.

"It works by reimplementing functions from the Oculus Runtime and translating them to OpenVR calls," the page states. "Unfortunately Oculus has implemented a Code Signing check on the Runtime DLLs, therefore the Revive DLLs cannot be used unless the application is patched."

... oculus games will not be able to play all Vive games. But the Vive will be able to play most oculus games

... proof of concept program on GitHub that allows Rift exclusives Lucky's Tale andOculus Dreamdeck to play on the Vive

Also Oculus seems to be struggling with  fulfill demand, disappoints backers by delaying their product and reserving units for BestBuy instead (Discussed in last WAN show). When I still wanted to buy the Rift I got repulsed by the even higher price it would cost in my country, some stupid included games I don't need and including that shitbox controller. I just wanted the HMD itself.

As a company I kinda trust HTC more at this point being able to satisfy expectations and bringing VR Reality in the right light in the public.

At the end, go ahead and buy what you want (or not) but until it's broadly available without having to pre-order or fight in a BestBuy (or similar shop) the market between current HMDs can still change, available content could highly influence our decision. Just as with consoles you usually go for the ones that has the exclusives you want although I still hope HMDs don't change the market to a situation like with the consoles where it even depends on the peripheral on what game you can play and what experience you get offered.