Media Machine Build

I am planning on making a media machine for a buddy moving out.  He would like a discreet machine so I planned on using a mini itx board.  Any recommendations?  Its been a hot minute since I have built a machine but here is what I got that's spare going into the machine. There is a Microcenter down the street from me (Mayfield Hts, Ohio). So any more parts will odds are come from there.  If you guys could give me some ideas that would rock.

Currently have:
500 watt power supply

4gb ddr3 ram

GTX 440

SSD

Peripherals (Keyboard, mouse, monitor)

Currently need:

Processor

Mother Board

SSD

Case

and odds are better power supply.  

UPDATE:
Got a GTX 440 to replace the 770

What do you mean by media machine? Like an HTPC? Is this just for video playback, or couch gaming, etc?

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

1 minute ago, tk421 said:

What do you mean by media machine? Like an HTPC? Is this just for video playback, or couch gaming, etc?

Attatched to a TV most of its life, light gaming such as Duck Game or Dolphin Emulation.  Would be hooked up to a network server that stores all ripped media.

Not sure on the budget so I made you this. This PC cannot use the 770 because of the PSU I chose. If it is just for streaming 1080p vids, I think you'll be fine with this setup. The PSU is a bit unconventional but will work just fine for the parts I gave and will fit in such a small case. If you need the GPU, I would just find a larger ITX case and use the 500w PSU you have.

Case - Antec ISK 300-150 ITX (http://goo.gl/dcrKNk)

Processor - AMD A6-6400K (http://goo.gl/SL8v3t)

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (http://goo.gl/OJoqeS)

SSD - Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow (http://goo.gl/8ksCR5)

PSU - Mini Box PicoPSU-150-XT (http://goo.gl/pKJQkx)

PSU Cord - 10A 120W AC to DC (http://goo.gl/H99roi)

something like this?

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HXmmf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HXmmf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.65 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $461.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 23:23 EDT-0400

though i recommend you get about 8gb ram if you plan to game on it, even if its light games

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Negamatt said:

Attatched to a TV most of its life, light gaming such as Duck Game or Dolphin Emulation.  Would be hooked up to a network server that stores all ripped media.

Could you get some other use for the GTX770 other than this? Because media PCs don't need anywhere near that kind of a GPU.

Basically, I'm telling you to use or recycle that GTX770 for something else. Or does the GPU have absolutely no use at all for you?

My recommendations will change based on this information, so yeah, let me know. ;)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:25 PM, Shahnewaz said:

Could you get some other use for the GTX770 other than this? Because media PCs don't need anywhere near that kind of a GPU.

Basically, I'm telling you to use or recycle that GTX770 for something else. Or does the GPU have absolutely no use at all for you?

My recommendations will change based on this information, so yeah, let me know. ;)

Its really the only other spare GPU I have that is just collecting dust.  I may change out/not use it depending on what happens.  I intend to upgrade my own rig later this year and build out a PC from my brother, and that GPU will go to him. I also have a GTX 440 that I recently found.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:24 PM, CUDA_Cores said:

Question 1: Where do you live (guessing US)

Question 2: what is your budget for the PC?

Question 3: If you budget is under $600, do you mind buying used PC parts?

Ohio, USA

$500

Depends on the Parts.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:23 PM, Moonzy said:

something like this?

Hide contents

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

though i recommend you get about 8gb ram if you plan to game on it, even if its light games

This looks amazing thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Negamatt said:

Its really the only other spare GPU I have that is just collecting dust.  I may change out/not use it depending on what happens.  I intend to upgrade my own rig later this year and build out a PC from my brother, and that GPU will go to him. I also have a GTX 440 that I recently found.

We can use the GT 440.

Do you have an SSD and need an HDD, or the other way around? Your original post says you have an SSD and need an SSD. xD

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

51 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

We can use the GT 440.

Do you have an SSD and need an HDD, or the other way around? Your original post says you have an SSD and need an SSD. xD

Sorry bout the confusion, got a SSD for OS, and a HDD for storage 

Sorry bout the confusion, got a SSD for OS, and a HDD for storage 

Okay, so you need neither.

This build should be a good one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI A68HI AC Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $186.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 14:26 EDT-0400

Or this.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $165.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 14:24 EDT-0400

I picked motherboards with built-in WiFi for convenience. If you don't want it, you can opt for cheaper boards.

You can also pick this for the case too: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sg05bblite

Edited by Shahnewaz
Forgot you wanted a Mini-ITX Build.

20 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Okay, so you need neither.

This build should be a good one.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI A68HI AC Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $186.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 14:26 EDT-0400

Or this.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $165.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 14:24 EDT-0400

I picked motherboards with built-in WiFi for convenience. If you don't want it, you can opt for cheaper boards.

You can also pick this for the case too: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sg05bblite

On 5/11/2016 at 11:23 PM, Moonzy said:

something like this?

Reveal hidden contents

Here is what he pulled together with parts that he can get from microcenter (Computer parts store near us)  

Thoughts? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qXB9jX

Here is what he pulled together with parts that he can get from microcenter (Computer parts store near us)  

why a z170 motherboard? nothing wrong but you can get a cheaper motherboard with other chipset `-`

since you're not overclocking anyway

and i recommend a mid tower or something larger and use a larger heatsink, stock heatsink in a confined space might ramp up and become audible, and that's not pleasant for a media pc

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

why a z170 motherboard? nothing wrong but you can get a cheaper motherboard with other chipset `-`

since you're not overclocking anyway

and i recommend a mid tower or something larger and use a larger heatsink, stock heatsink in a confined space might ramp up and become audible, and that's not pleasant for a media pc

I think he is trying to not buy online hence why that's the one available at a local PC Parts store, Microcenter. Case is only cosmetic so I can just talk him out of it

1 minute ago, Negamatt said:

I think he is trying to not buy online hence why that's the one available at a local PC Parts store, Microcenter. Case is only cosmetic so I can just talk him out of it

that case is small and confined, so the things might run hotter unles he configure the air flow properly

and hotter = fans ramping more = more audible, especially if you're using a stock cooler

Just now, Moonzy said:

that case is small and confined, so the things might run hotter unles he configure the air flow properly

and hotter = fans ramping more = more audible, especially if you're using a stock cooler

Yup, Ill make him get a non stock cooler

2 minutes ago, Negamatt said:

Yup, Ill make him get a non stock cooler

and he might not even need a gpu btw

and that case he's using might not fit much aftermarket cooler, so i still suggest changing a case :P

This is waaaaay overkill for an HTPC build.

With that kind of build you're approaching an actual gaming desktop territory. An HTPC doesn't need anywhere near that much processing power.

4 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

This is waaaaay overkill for an HTPC build.

With that kind of build you're approaching an actual gaming desktop territory. An HTPC doesn't need anywhere near that much processing power.

With Final Fantasy X/X-2 out on steam he now wants to play it on the machine in the living room.  I sense him wanting to play more games so I just think why not go midway between both.

1 minute ago, Negamatt said:

With Final Fantasy X/X-2 out on steam he now wants to play it on the machine in the living room.  I sense him wanting to play more games so I just think why not go midway between both.

Well, I thought you're gonna use Steam In-Home streaming for that. You have that option too, if you already have a gaming desktop lying around. So think about it, and let me know. :)

14 minutes ago, Negamatt said:

wew FFX fan :D

then maybe u'll need a gpu if he wanna game

not sure whats the min spec for the game though

or use stream if he have a gaming pc like the other guy said

4 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Well, I thought you're gonna use Steam In-Home streaming for that. You have that option too, if you already have a gaming desktop lying around. So think about it, and let me know. :)

He doesnt have a gaming pc which is why this machine is a mis match of gaming and HTPC

30 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

wew FFX fan :D

then maybe u'll need a gpu if he wanna game

not sure whats the min spec for the game though

or use stream if he have a gaming pc like the other guy said

A better way to put this build would be small gaming, mostly netflix