upgrading to an ssd and windows 10

So I got an ssd a while ago (kingston sv3 120gb) and I installed into my system and left it there for a while. Now I want to put it to use by putting windows 10 onto it via free upgrade. I know I need to initialize and format it first (I need help with that), then I don't know where to go after that. I feel pretty dumb right now and I hoped you guys know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Boot with a USB drive containing the operating system.

Clear all drives as appropriate on the custom installation screen, just click on the SSD and proceed to install.

Diasporic Kurd

2 minutes ago, Captive said:

Boot with a USB drive containing the operating system.

Clear all drives as appropriate on the custom installation screen, just click on the SSD and proceed to install.

I want the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8.1, so I don't have a physical copy on windows 10.

use microsofts tool to put windows 10 on a USB drivev

then follow the steps

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, GentleHawk34 said:

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What he said.

You cannot use the free upgrade tool as you'll leave loads of unformatted drives/partitions.

When you are actually booted into the USB OS installation, remember to press custom installation and then proceed to format all the drives, otherwise you'll probably get the OS back onto your HDD (if you click upgrade) which isn't what you want.

Diasporic Kurd

one question. Probably a dumb one. Should I make a system backup before I do all this or will it be fine not to? 

Just now, GentleHawk34 said:

one question. Probably a dumb one. Should I make a system backup before I do all this or will it be fine not to? 

I personally wouldn't do it as it'd be huge. Save any files you really want to keep on external storage.

It's really a lot easier than you think.

Once you're done, just reinstall drivers and you are set.

Diasporic Kurd

Just now, Captive said:

I personally wouldn't do it as it'd be huge. Save any files you really want to keep on external storage.

It's really a lot easier than you think.

Once you're done, just reinstall drivers and you are set.

cool. thanks for the info

2 minutes ago, GentleHawk34 said:

cool. thanks for the info

No problem.

I assume you have a phone? Find a USB Windows installation video and you could follow that through.

Diasporic Kurd

1 minute ago, Captive said:

No problem.

I assume you have a phone? Find a USB Windows installation video and you could follow that through.

will do

Okay, as far as the ssd and formatting it, does it need to be formatted to install windows on it? Right now it says all of the data is unallocated .