Overclocking my new Laptop

So I am expecting my new laptop to come in tomorrow and it has a 6820HK processor and 980m GPU with 8GB VRAM and 16GB of DDR4 RAM.  all powered by a 220W power block.  I have never overclocked a computer before and have several questions.

1. if power/temperature becomes an issue, what do you guys recommend as the order of importance between the processor and GPU (obviously the RAM is least important)

2. which programs should I use to test stability of each component as I apply the OC

3.  What do you guys use as a general rule of thumb for the OV value on each of these components

thanks

Edit:  I have gotten a lot of responses about whether or not I should overclock at all, but not many have answered the actual questions I posed... particularly the programs I should use to test stability.

Edited by jab136

yah, but the processor I bought is actually unlocked.  I wasn't planning on a drastic OC but a bit of an improvement would be nice.

Step 1. Don't. Not worth it. Enjoy your new laptop and leave it alone.

No don't do it, unless you want to void warranty and pay them a lot of money to fix your laptop again, because a OC will wear down the CPU.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 minutes ago, jab136 said:

yah, but the processor I bought is actually unlocked.  I wasn't planning on a drastic OC but a bit of an improvement would be nice.

Since it's a laptop it's not made for extra heat. Most big gaming laptops even have giant copper heat pipes to keep the heat down. If you want to probably kill your laptop faster then OC it, unless you take it apart and custom cool it

13 minutes ago, jab136 said:

Unless you one the silicon lottery big time and have a super efficient chip i wouldn't even bother not worth it 

unlocked yes.. so you can downclock so your laptop wont melt xD

If temps allow it, oc the gpu first, before bothering with the cpu. Odds are that the gpu is the limiting factor in most games.

The process itself is the same as desktops, and the only difference is that you wont have any power target/ voltage sliders. Use programs like unigen heaven/ valley to make sure temps dont go over the mid-high 80c under a gaming load on both the laptop and desktop.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

23 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Since it's a laptop it's not made for extra heat. Most big gaming laptops even have giant copper heat pipes to keep the heat down. If you want to probably kill your laptop faster then OC it, unless you take it apart and custom cool it

Unless you install custom vbios' that allow for higher volts, the laptop will handle the heat fine (unless it has heat problems to begin with, in which case the op would not be overclocking). I'm speaking out of experience with my old Samsung gaming laptop...

Laptops dont run on magic and pixie dust. If temps are under control, and you dont crank the volts, they behave the same as a desktop part, therefore overclocking wont drastically reduce the life of the chip (as long as it isnt overheating, which it should not)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

5 minutes ago, Lord_Karango17 said:

Unless you install custom vbios' that allow for higher volts, the laptop will handle the heat fine (unless it has heat problems to begin with, in which case the op would not be overclocking). I'm speaking out of experience with my old Samsung gaming laptop...

Laptops dont run on magic and pixie dust. If temps are under control, and you dont crank the volts, they behave the same as a desktop part, therefore overclocking wont drastically reduce the life of the chip (as long as it isnt overheating, which it should not)

Laptops have terrible airflow 

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

Laptops have terrible airflow 

As I reiterated in my previous post, the OP should keep an eye on temps. if the laptop is running at an acceptable temp before overclocking, it will continue to do the same after the OC.

To test how far I can overclock the GPU in my Clevo, I just tried a few different settings while running the games that I play. It will take a bit of experimenting to find the highest stable clock rate. If you want to overclock, I recommend applying IC diamond thermal paste. Make sure it's a really thin layer. That way, and thanks to the good Clevo design, my GPU doesn't exceed 70°C when overclocked. Without OC, it reaches 65°C under full load.

they already put IC diamond on it (both CPU and GPU), it is a Sager NP8678-S

11 minutes ago, Hamako said:

To test how far I can overclock the GPU in my Clevo, I just tried a few different settings while running the games that I play. It will take a bit of experimenting to find the highest stable clock rate. If you want to overclock, I recommend applying IC diamond thermal paste. Make sure it's a really thin layer. That way, and thanks to the good Clevo design, my GPU doesn't exceed 70°C when overclocked. Without OC, it reaches 65°C under full load.

Edit: sorry for the double post, I didn't realize I couldn't delete previous posts

Edited by jab136

It's more about how you put it on, not if it's on already. That Clevo is one of the newer thin models. I don't recommend overclocking that.

6 minutes ago, Hamako said:

It's more about how you put it on, not if it's on already. That Clevo is one of the newer thin models. I don't recommend overclocking that.

not to be that guy, but...  And I still haven't gotten suggestions on stability testing software for CPU and GPU

17 minutes ago, Hamako said:

That Clevo is one of the newer thin models. I don't recommend overclocking that.

Pffftt who doesn't want a live fire on their table.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

21 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Pffftt who doesn't want a live fire on their table.

Yeah, but only in winter.

31 minutes ago, jab136 said:

not to be that guy, but...  And I still haven't gotten suggestions on stability testing software for CPU and GPU

That's for desktops.

Like I said, just run the game that you want to play. As long as that runs stable, there's no need to worry.

1 minute ago, Hamako said:

Like I said, just run the game that you want to play. As long as that runs stable, there's no need to worry.

this computer isn't only for gaming, I am currently working on my Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering and I want the bet performance possible in engineering programs such as Solidworks, and FEA/CFD programs

24 minutes ago, jab136 said:

this computer isn't only for gaming, I am currently working on my Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering and I want the bet performance possible in engineering programs such as Solidworks, and FEA/CFD programs

Why did you not get a laptop with a Quadro then?

because that wasn't the sole purpose,  I also want to be able to play games on it,  and it seemed like this would be the best compromise for the time.  In the future I intend to build a desktop with better compute power, but that is going to be quite a few months if not a year away.

I am replacing my multipurpose laptop that I have been using for the last 5 years which was a macbook pro running windows 7

1 hour ago, jab136 said:

Pfffttt, it should be fine to overclock. Just press Fn + 1 and leave it there and overclock what you want. Then the next step is to put on some headphones.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap