Beech PC scratch build

Pictures to follow along with --->https://imgur.com/a/a759D

About a 2 weeks ago I decided that My current setup was decent, but it could be better.  So I hopped into sketch up and started designing myself a new case that would take form, function, and durability all into account. I purposefully made this case smaller than my current case as I only have a ssd and I hdd, and the wasted space in hard drive cages could be removed. With this in mind I opted for a square case I had designed with rounded corners, and black reflective acrylic on either side. 

Once the design phase was done and I had made sure that there would be adaquite clearence for both the graphics card cooler and for my motherboard. I then set off to find lumber. The wood that I picked for this project was actually hand cut beech wood from my great grandfather's property. I chose this due to its lighter color that would contrast with the black side panel nicely. 

After obtaining this I went out to my shop and started preparing the wood. Dimensions were drawn on and io panels were planned. Once I had the majority of my initial boards laid out I took it to the table saw and sabre saw to cut them to spec. The hardest part of this step was cutting the io and power supply holes as they needed to be very exact for my old case-back to fit snugly, this required alot of sanding. 

Following the cutting of the 4 outside boards I cut a 16×16 inch board to mount the motherboard onto. This was placed in channels that were cut into the side boards aswell as the top and bottom in order to give the case some structural rigidity. When cutting these channels for the mother board mounting panel, I also cut the groves for my two pieces of acrylic to slide into (which turned out to be the exact width of my table saw blade!). 

Now that the main structural part of the case had been cut I moved on the the curves. From some of the left over beech I had, I cut 8, two inch radius curves to be placed on the inside corners of the side and top boards. This took hours as I wanted them to be exactly the same all the way arround. 

That was the majority of all the boards that were needing cut and I am now waiting for the glue to dry so I can continue to round off the outside edges and start mounting hardware! 

This us also my first post to the forms, I thought that it was quite apt considering Luke's recent video regarding reclaiming old cases to be used again... I will be updating as I go with more pictures and information, I forsee that it should be finished within 2 to 3 weeks considering the ammount of sanding that must go into this project. 

Also just a side note the upload functionality didn't seem to work for my pictures so I made a imgur album. 

1 hour ago, subtot said:

-snip-

DAMN SON / DANIEL!!!

Seriously though, tha looks great. I'm not seriously considering doing something like this.

Ive got a project for my workshop final this year that ive been scouting for ideas on (it has to be useful to use, and not just decorational).

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Thats pretty sweet. I'd love a custom wood case.
All you can find is wood patterned painted cases.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Nice job man :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.