What is going on?!?!

EJOE
Go to solution Solved by Omon_Ra,
4 hours ago, EJOE said:

OK thanks for your help

Sure thing. Glad you got it sorted without having to buy a new PSU or any other hardware! (You still may want to consider replacing that PSU though)

Hello I just built a new PC about a month old. I played on it for awhile ,and it started getting quick but bad lag spikes. I checked my usuages and my ssd and hard drive depending on which one I was using was at 100% my memory was at 96 to 100% no matter what I was doing. I ignored and it went away but usuages stayed the same it came back. But worse. I checked my processes nothing is heavy everything is okay except the usuages. I played blacklight retribution which wasn't laggy before it was very smooth. And I logged into a server and it was super laggy. And I couldn't end it with task manager, so I restarted my PC with the button on the side and switched to my HDD. At this point im logged in but a program pops up with a black screen behind it this program was the Asus GPU tweaker. After windows gave me an error message saying that your computer has ran into some errors it will restart soon. Please hit OK and get ready for restart. I waited and it came up with checking for disk errors for my HDD and it ended up trying to fix it. It restarted again (assuming it boot to my hdd) and did the same thing except kinda diffrent now its on the windows 10 screen before you login and stuck on a loop. Idk what is happening this is sorcery

PC partpicker build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/EJOE123451/saved/csYMnQ

My ram is an 8gb crucial 

And my ssd is a 480 GB pny

1 hour ago, EJOE said:

Hello I just buols a new PC about a month old. I played on it for awhile ,and it started getting quick but bad lag spikes. I I checked my usuages and my ssd and hard drive depending in which one I was using was at 100% my memory was at 96 100% no matter what I was doing. I ignored and it went away but usuages stayed the same it came back. But worse. I checked my processes nothing is heavy everything is okay except the usuages. I played blacklight retribution which wasn't laggy before it was very smooth. And I logged into a server and it was super laggy. And I couldn't end it with task manager, so I restarted my PC with the button on the side and switched to my HDD. At this point a program pops up with a black screen behind it this program was the Asus GPU tweaker. After windows gave me an error message saying that your computer has ran into some errors it will restart soon. Please hit OK and get ready for restart. I waited and it came up with checking for disk errors for my HDD and it ended up trying to fix it. It restarted again (assuming it boot to my hdd) and did the same thing except now its on the windows 10 screen before you login and stuck on a loop. Idk what is happening this is sorcery

My ram is an 8gb crucial 

the psu is hideous

that might be it

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

the psu is hideous

that might be it

How do I know for sure? And should I turn off my PC?

6 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Hello I just built a new PC about a month old. I played on it for awhile ,and it started getting quick but bad lag spikes. I checked my usuages and my ssd and hard drive depending on which one I was using was at 100% my memory was at 96 to 100% no matter what I was doing. I ignored and it went away but usuages stayed the same it came back. But worse. I checked my processes nothing is heavy everything is okay except the usuages. I played blacklight retribution which wasn't laggy before it was very smooth. And I logged into a server and it was super laggy. And I couldn't end it with task manager, so I restarted my PC with the button on the side and switched to my HDD. At this point im logged in but a program pops up with a black screen behind it this program was the Asus GPU tweaker. After windows gave me an error message saying that your computer has ran into some errors it will restart soon. Please hit OK and get ready for restart. I waited and it came up with checking for disk errors for my HDD and it ended up trying to fix it. It restarted again (assuming it boot to my hdd) and did the same thing except kinda diffrent now its on the windows 10 screen before you login and stuck on a loop. Idk what is happening this is sorcery

My ram is an 8gb crucial 

EWWWWW that PSUn get another one fast

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

EWWWWW that PSUn get another one fast

OK should I turn my PC off or let it keep going?

Just now, EJOE said:

OK should I turn my PC off or let it keep going?

well I don't suggect opening the PSU so yeah, turn it off for now, only turn it back on when your testing for diagnosis.

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

well I don't suggect opening the PSU so yeah, turn it off for now, only turn it back on when your testing for diagnosis.

Alright I'll see if I can get a new one ? what if I get a new one and that's not it?

Just now, EJOE said:

Alright I'll see if I can get a new one ? what if I get a new one and that's not it?

Well keep the new one when you know it's working, then you've got some dignosis to do. Have you checked you sata connection to both your drives?

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

Well keep the new one when you know it's working, then you've got some dignosis to do. Have you checked you sata connection to both your drives?

No what should I check for?

1 minute ago, EJOE said:

I know that sound stupid but I did that once, connected a sata data cable on the wong side. not on my actual PC, on a old box I had laying around, but nonetheless the sata cable socket was damaged

1 minute ago, EJOE said:

I don't know why it would be a PSU. Seems like failing HDD or virus eating OS. As flower said check your sata confections and try fresh windows install. My bet is on faulty OS.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

22 minutes ago, Flowey said:

17 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

I don't know why it would be a PSU. Seems like failing HDD or virus eating OS. As flower said check your sata confections and try fresh windows install. My bet is on faulty OS.

On both of them, how?

2 minutes ago, EJOE said:

On both of them, how?

OMG my bad, checked you post, thought you mentionned an SSD as well.

20 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Yeah...a bad PSU would likely result in instability and crashes even not under load. The fact your CPU and RAM was running at nearly 100% and not insta-crashing makes me think it's more OS/HDD than PSU. Load up a Linux build on a USB thumb drive and see if the CPU/RAM usage is the same when running off of that. If it's fine, reformat and reinstall Windows. If the usage is still pegged, then I'd start going through your hardware.

3 minutes ago, Flowey said:

OMG my bad, checked you post, thought you mentionned an SSD as well.

3 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Yeah...a bad PSU would likely result in instability and crashes even not under load. The fact your CPU and RAM was running at nearly 100% and not insta-crashing makes me think it's more OS/HDD than PSU. Load up a Linux build on a USB thumb drive and see if the CPU/RAM usage is the same when running off of that. If it's fine, reformat and reinstall Windows. If the usage is still pegged, then I'd start going through your hardware.

How do I do this (not very smart when it comes to hardware stuff) and yeah I have an ssd and HDD 

5 minutes ago, EJOE said:

How do I do this (not very smart when it comes to hardware stuff) and yeah I have an ssd and HDD 

You can skip the Linux part then. Just backup what you can/need from your OS drive and then reinstall Windows fresh. If it still is running at near 100% after the reinstall then report back here. Don't get too far ahead of yourself in your troubleshooting, see what happens after the reinstall then go from there.

2 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

You can skip the Linux part then. Just backup what you can/need from your OS drive and then reinstall Windows fresh. If it still is running at near 100% after the reinstall then report back here. Don't get too far ahead of yourself in your troubleshooting, see what happens after the reinstall then go from there.

Should I take out my HDD and use my ssd or take out my ssd and use my hdd or do both 1 by 1

3 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Should I take out my HDD and use my ssd or take out my ssd and use my hdd

You don't need to take anything out, just unplug the sata cable from your main OS drive (C: drive) backup up your data and do a fresh Windows install. Then boot it up and see if your still struggling with storage.

12 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Should I take out my HDD and use my ssd or take out my ssd and use my hdd or do both 1 by 1

I would unplug the HDD and install windows to the SSD. As @Flowey said, all you need to do is disconnect the SATA cable.

Wow the amount of people who suggested a PSU would cause high RAM and CPU usage....that's freaking hilarious lol.

They're right that it's a shoddy PSU but it won't cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

I'd suggest doing a full scan of Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner, you can google both, to rule out maleware being the culprit.

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Wow the amount of people who suggested a PSU would cause high RAM and CPU usage....that's freaking hilarious lol.

They're right that it's a shoddy PSU but it won't cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

I'd suggest doing a full scan of Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner, you can google both, to rule out maleware being the culprit.

Alright shall I clear each storage device one by one? Also I need to reinstall windows how should I do that? Lastly, could it be how I put in the parts? Finally, I've used the ssd model twice I returned the first one cause I deleted the proportions xD. So I don't think it could be the sata

2 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

I would unplug the HDD and install windows to the SSD. As @Flowey said, all you need to do is disconnect the SATA cable.

6 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Alright shall I clear each storage device one by one? Also I need to reinstall windows how should I do that? Lastly, could it be how I put in the parts? Finally, I've used the ssd model twice I returned the first one cause I deleted the proportions xD. So I don't think it could be the sata

Don't you mean partitions?

4 minutes ago, EJOE said:

The SATA power and data cables are keyed so you can't put them in incorrectly, they are all in an L shape. If you can't see it then grab a flash light and make sure they line up before connecting.

If you're dead set on reinstalling Windows then you'll need your Boot DVD that came with your copy of it. You can use a USB if you have the ISO file as well. Just plug either in and set it to boot from the respective device in the BIOS and go through the reinstall prompts.

Honestly if it is malware then Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner will take care of it so you don't lose any data.

5 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

The SATA power and data cables are keyed so you can't put them in incorrectly, they are all in an L shape. If you can't see it then grab a flash light and make sure they line up before connecting.

If you're dead set on reinstalling Windows then you'll need your Boot DVD that came with your copy of it. You can use a USB if you have the ISO file as well. Just plug either in and set it to boot from the respective device in the BIOS and go through the reinstall prompts.

Honestly if it is malware then Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner will take care of it so you don't lose any data.

Alright I'll try it out but how is this happening on both drives?