Return or keep new R9 390 ?

Go to solution Solved by afyeung,

Return it if you paid full retail price which is around $270. 1070 or AMD's equivalent card could potentially have near double the performance for $100 more. 

MSI R9 390 arrived a couple of days ago.

Should I keep it, or return it and buy a second hand GPU (970/980/980ti/390)

Not building my computer before June, so I am in no rush.

What are your thoughts? :) 

Return it if you paid full retail price which is around $270. 1070 or AMD's equivalent card could potentially have near double the performance for $100 more. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

4 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

MSI R9 390 arrived a couple of days ago.

Should I keep it, or return it and buy a second hand GPU (970/980/980ti/390)

Not building my computer before June, so I am in no rush.

What are your thoughts? :) 

Return it and wait until new AMD cards are released and private reviews for the GTX 1070 and the equivalent AMD card are released, then buy the better of the two (AMD or Nvidea) for price to performance. 

Or just pick up a 970 or 980 if you can find a really good deal).

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

3 minutes ago, afyeung said:

I might be a potato in some fields... is AMD releasing a new card as well now?

You have a good point, however I really wouldn't like to spend more than i did..
(R9 390 costs about 390 USD here..)

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Return it and wait until new AMD cards are released and private reviews for the GTX 1070 and the equivalent AMD card are released, then buy the better of the two (AMD or Nvidea) for price to performance. 

Or just pick up a 970 or 980 if you can find a really good deal).

So in any case if I am in my right mind: Return it and do one or another :D 

i´m a nvida fanboy, so i say if you are building in june so wait for 1080/70 for that computer. But if you are an AMD fanboy/girl wait for polaris.

Just now, IslandStone said:

So in any case if I am in my right mind: Return it and do one or another :D 

Yep. Normally I would say you made an excellent GPU choice, but its not exactly a great time to buy a GPU since the new ones are just coming out! o.O

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

1 minute ago, EskilHR said:

i´m a nvida fanboy, so i say if you are building in june so wait for 1080/70 for that computer. But if you are an AMD fanboy/girl wait for polaris.

I am a fan of whatever gives most magic and sparkle for the less $$ :P 

Point gotten however! :) 

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Yep. Normally I would say you made an excellent GPU choice, but its not exactly a great time to buy a GPU since the new ones are just coming out! o.O

True.. I feel dumb having to pay for shipping back :$ At least I didn't finish the bulld yet :D

Just now, IslandStone said:

True.. I feel dumb having to pay for shipping back :$ At least I didn't finish the bulld yet :D

It's all good. To be honest, I didn't even pay attention to the new GPU's coming out until yesterday when I was reading about them.

7 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

I am a fan of whatever gives most magic and sparkle for the less $$ :P 

Point gotten however! :) 

You should wait until Linus posts a video about the two GPUs. This is that forum you know. :P

4 minutes ago, EskilHR said:

You should wait until Linus posts a video about the two GPUs. This is that forum you know. :P

So very true. He basically "learned" me everything about a PC that i took for granted, and so much more.

Also this forum is so popular and good, one will get a respond in like 30 seconds :o:D 

7 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

It's all good. To be honest, I didn't even pay attention to the new GPU's coming out until yesterday when I was reading about them.

Haha, I just came from the Linustechtips video of the launch.. and looked over at my new GPU #facepalm of may 2016. :D 

5 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

So very true. He basically "learned" me everything about a PC that i took for granted, and so much more.

Also this forum is so popular and good, one will get a respond in like 30 seconds :o:D 

I also learned EVERYTHING from Linus! and this forum is very popular indeed.