XFX 390 running too hot...

My 390 seems to be getting way too hot when playing games such as Farcry 4 and Metro Last Light. People are saying their cards are never going above 75C but my XFX card is hitting 91C at stocks voltages playing Farcry 4. Some incite would be appreciated.

Screenshot of MSI Afterburner: http://prntscr.com/b1bdtz

EDIT: I saw the fans were running at low speed so changed that. Still the same.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

seems to me like the gpu fan isnt running (how the temps shoot up so fast)

are the gpu fans running? (look at it see if it moves)

how's the case air flow like?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

seems to me like the gpu fan isnt running (how the temps shoot up so fast)

are the gpu fans running? (look at it see if it moves)

how's the case air flow like?

Just changed the fans after realizing and the temps went down by a whopping 2C... Leveled off at 90C now

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, Subduck said:

Just changed the fans after realizing and the temps went down by a whopping 2C... Leveled off at 90C now

if the fans on the gpu are moving, then try removing your side panel

see how much the temps drop by then? maybe your case doesnt have sufficient air flow?

ermmm...30% fan speed underload? I'm pretty sure they are meant to be revving higher underload no? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

32 minutes ago, Subduck said:

My 390 seems to be getting way too hot when playing games such as Farcry 4 and Metro Last Light. People are saying their cards are never going above 75C but my XFX card is hitting 91C at stocks voltages playing Farcry 4. Some incite would be appreciated.

Screenshot of MSI Afterburner: http://prntscr.com/b1bdtz

EDIT: I saw the fans were running at low speed so changed that. Still the same.

What´d you change it to?

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if the fans on the gpu are moving, then try removing your side panel

see how much the temps drop by then? maybe your case doesnt have sufficient air flow?

11 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

ermmm...30% fan speed underload? I'm pretty sure they are meant to be revving higher underload no? 

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

What´d you change it to?

After removing the side panel and running the 15 min FurMark burn-in test, my temps dropped to 79C. So this is an issue with airflow i presume. my fan setup is 1x EK Vardar fan for intake in the front, 2x corsair AF fans in the top and 1x Default Zalman case fan in the rear.

Just now, Subduck said:

After removing the side panel and running the 15 min FurMark burn-in test, my temps dropped to 79C. So this is an issue with airflow i presume. my fan setup is 1x EK Vardar fan for intake in the front, 2x corsair AF fans in the top and 1x Default Zalman case fan in the rear.

definitely not enough intake to the gpu

add more intake fans or swap the fans around

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

definitely not enough intake to the gpu

add more intake fans or swap the fans around

Would it be worth moving the 2 top fans because they never seem to do much in terms of temperature?

2 minutes ago, Subduck said:

Try switching around the fans. Leave one fan at the top and make it outtake, and move the other one to the front or back. Make the rest intake.

1 minute ago, Subduck said:

Would it be worth moving the 2 top fans because they never seem to do much in terms of temperature?

Leave at least one intake. It can help.

4 minutes ago, Subduck said:

Don't use Furmark, use Heaven or just play a game.

5 minutes ago, Subduck said:

move one corsair AF to the bottom of the case

this case doesnt have good intake spots...

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=748

Leave one as intake as it would help your motherboard VRMs :D (especially that making VRMs toasty 5GHz OC on your 8350) and from what I can see, there's no front fan mounting points...no wonder your poor 390 is choking...maybe add a fan to that bottom 120mm mounting point next to the PSU? That's not directing air into the GPU but at lease it's bringing in fresh air :P (as long as there's a dust filter)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

move one corsair AF to the bottom of the case

this case doesnt have good intake spots...

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=748

That may be an issue due to having an XFX 1050W power supply which sits just over the bottom fan mount.

Just now, Subduck said:

That may be an issue due to having an XFX 1050W power supply which sits just over the bottom fan mount.

change a case with better intake

or game without side panel on `-`

Just now, Moonzy said:

change a case with better intake

or game without side panel on `-`

The case came with a GPU support bracket which i believe has 2 or 3 fan mounts on it. Would it be worth giving that a shot?

The case came with a GPU support bracket which i believe has 2 or 3 fan mounts on it. Would it be worth giving that a shot?

its pointless to recycle hot air to your gpu

your gpu needs cool intake air

but i guess you could always try it before spending money on a new case

On 5/7/2016 at 2:37 PM, Moonzy said:

its pointless to recycle hot air to your gpu

your gpu needs cool intake air

but i guess you could always try it before spending money on a new case

I want to thank you for your help. After moving a few fans around i was able to mount one under the gpu. This made temps drop by 15C! Help was really appreciated!