Help!? Ultra Cheap PC build

So I'm building a entirely new gaming PC but...

This will be a second hand build because I want to be overclocking, tinkering and generally mucking about with everything I can without it being a massive disaster when I mess up.

BUT I don't know whether or not I should try to find a PC pre-built by someone else or if I should find all the individual parts myself. Here are the pros and cons of pre-built vs custom:

Custom

Pros

• I can source the exact parts I want for my build.
  • I can ensure there is a better upgrade path.

Cons

• If a part is not working I won't know until I've built the whole PC and then it will be harder to get a refund.
  • I will probably have to pay for a operating system because who sells a HDD with windows?

Pre-built

Pros

• If it does not work I will know instantly and can send it back and get a refund quite easily
  • I can mix and match some parts from say a slow PC but has an i7 with parts from one that has a good power supply and ram.

Cons

• Inspecting the images of a whole build in preference to individual parts over a website like ebay can be difficult.

I would like to spend as little as possible although I am happy to spend quite a lot if there is a GTX 970 and an i7 in the build.

What I need help with is 

Additionally I am waiting for zen, polaris and pascal hit the market so that I might catch some great deals off of people clearing way for there shiny new builds and so that older GPUs and CPUs value will have gone down.

So if anybody knows how or where to find great value pc parts or has seen any good listings please inform me.

Anyway Here Is what I am actually looking for:

• A setup that means I can overclock my CPU, RAM and GPU.
  • Something Expandable to at least 16 GB of RAM.
  • A CPU with 4 or more cores from intel but I would really like to have an i7.
  • Low overall power consumption so an R7 370 in preference to an R9 270 for example.
  • The RAM clocked as highly as possible with heat spreaders.
  • My preference leans slightly towards cooling over having less noise.
  • For newer slow paced games I am fine with medium-high settings @30fps but for FPS games I'm not happy with <60fps at settings that are a detriment to playability.
  • Windows 10.

Ok so you might have noticed I'm concentrating on having my CPU being well fed. This is because a) I play very CPU intensive games as it happens b) gaming is not the soul purpose of the machine and c) the GPU is easier and cheaper to upgrade than the motherboard, CPU and potentially RAM if my CPU is bottlenecking my PCs performance.

Anyway I realise this is a lot but if anyone could help me in any way at all I would be thrilled. :D Thanks a million!

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

Hello there, and welcome to the forums!

So for your case, I can recommend a part list that you can use as a reference to buy used.

Overclocking is a no go, since you are looking for cheap builds.

16GB is unnecessary for gaming, but I'm not sure what exactly are your use cases, so I'll give you 16GB as wanted.

Why do you want low power consumption? What matters more, FPS or power consumption?

With all that being said, here's the part list you should go hunting on Craigslist or other second hand market:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card  ($211.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $735.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 00:42 EDT-0400

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

I only said expandable to 16 GB because it will be needed in future and overclocking and tinkering as I said is kind of one of 'the points' of building a PC like this. And honestly I don't want to pay a regular fee for the extra fps due to large power consumption.

15 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Why is overclocking "the point' of a PC? Don't you get that you will get much better value and flexibility when making a custom build? No pre-built manufacturers will make a used rig with your exact part choices at half the market price, no matter how much you ask them.

Who said you need 16GB in the future? When you need 16GB in the future, buy 16GB then. There is a good chance when you need 16GB of RAM, this build in its entirety will need an upgrade. Yes, I am speculating, and so are you about your 16GB requirement. So just buy what you need.

The regular fee we talk about is some extra few cents in your monthly power bill. Really, you're worrying about that?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 hour ago, TechMasterMind said:

What budget/country and what are you going to be using it for?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

What budget/country and what are you going to be using it for?

I said I'm happy to spend good money for a great build but only a small amount for a mediocre one. And this will be mainly as I said a gaming PC. Thank you.

1 minute ago, TechMasterMind said:

I said I'm happy to spend good money for a great build but only a small amount for a mediocre one. And this will be mainly as I said a gaming PC. Thank you.

Still need like a number, and country

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Still need like a number, and country

Uk and say £350 because im looking for a used pc.

9 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Uk and say £350 because im looking for a used pc.

Well you don't really need to go used unless you want to I guess, you can get an 845 with a 380 almost

could maybe get an 860K it's a bit more but you can OC it naturally, though this board is alright, it might be a bit low end for overclocking, hence why the CPU I threw in only has a 65W TDP

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/QjYT4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/QjYT4D/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£51.00 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  (£36.59 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£23.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.95 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£169.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case  (£21.48 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£29.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £372.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 18:27 BST+0100

Spoiler