So was Gabe Newell right in my post I made?

threadysparrow

Get rid of all the fanboys and get some high power devs in there, maybe they can make Linux somewhat usable. Windows is still windows, Linux won't be overtaking it for awhile.

I'm interested in dual booting SteamOS though, it seems like it could be a nicely set up distro.

I think the reason they decided to go with Linux over Windows is because Linux is much more open then Windows. Microsoft is extremely  lazy and greedy, and does no more work than required to maintain a stranglehold on the market. By market, I mean the ENTIRE market. Not gaming. To them, Gaming is just a means to keep people locked down on their platform. They do not care about what benefits video game developer's audience. They keep updates locked down to herd Windows users to the next operating system. It's horrible sickening. If you want to see the real cancer killing gaming. That's it right there. Not consoles. -Windows- is Killing PC gaming. Windows is the reason why developers are still releasing direct x9 games. Not consoles. This narrative is extremely hard to swallow for an audience that spends it's time making disparaging remarks against every platform but their own -- Mac users, console users, casual users, whatever. And the irony is that smartphones are at the forefront of OpenGL's resurgence.

I mean you can try out right now. Load up Fraps and try capturing video while playing a game. Chances are that unless you have some really high end under utilized hardware like a quad core CPU you're going to notice a really big hit. Sometimes reducing your frame rate down to 25% of what it normally is. And even if you have really high end hardware. It still hits you pretty bad. On Linux, This isn't really nearly as bad. Even right now, Let alone when they roll out extremely optimized solutions. Stea games on Linux will be able to screencapture with something around 10% hit. Without using an external capture card.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

..... never actually saw how Linux looks ;D

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

My problem is that I wouldnt consider Steam OS open, not in the least.

Elaborate. I'm curious.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Valve has the cojones to actually get the wheel-a-turnin' with Linux, while many developers/publishers were reluctant to code for it since it's such a small market, and hardware manufacturers are usually slow at releasing new drivers. Their standpoint to both of them was basically: "If you build it, they will come." Valve has been working hard on their end to get their side up and running to make this happen, and they've been working with developers and manufacturers to make sure they're good on their end.

It may seem that we're going at a slow pace now, but this wheel is going to pick up speed, and fast.

I have to think that the driver problems with normal linux will not be a problem for steamos as the main companies will get behind it because of steam. I think this has a potential to be really good only because steam is behind it as if uplay of origin were trying this i do not think that many people would get behind it. I don't think this will take over for windows in the eyes of the gamers as it is because it seems more like a console replacement with limited uses at this point based on their description. What i get out of it is that it maybe an ok htpc that can play games but as of right now i don't think they are trying to make it into anything that can actually compete with windows.

Remember when I posted the speech by Gabe Newell and in that speech he said that Linux is the future of gaming because of its open platform?

So many people had an issue with that. Read my other post about Gabe Newell saying that Linux is the future of gaming. People were saying that this can't be because driver support sucks, Gabe Newell didn't know what he was talking about, Linux doesn't stand a chance ect. ect.

Think about this: If Steam is the most popular digital distribution service for games, and if Steam makes an OS based on Linux, then what does that mean for Linux?

Valve just announced a Linux based SteamOS. I knew that this was coming because Newell threw so much support at Linux that it had to mean something in the future was going to happen. He would not have done his research and went to LinuxCon for just concept idea talk. He went there with a purpose.

Windows has the biggest share of the market right now. And people think that is a good reason why they will stay on top. Hmm... I wonder if there ever existed companies that had the largest share of their market that eventually went out of business...

You all guys are missing the point.

As long as games don't support OpenGL and other Linux-compatible standards, you aren't going anywhere with your gaming linux platform since DirectX requirement will kill your gaming system if you don't have Windows installed. this is the only reason why we haven't got Linux gaming mainstream yet: it will never be as long as Windows is main platform for developers and it will be with coming Xbox One being Windows based etc.

You can't do anything about it unless game developers make some OpenGL games.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

As long as games don't support OpenGL and other Linux-compatible standards, you aren't going anywhere with your gaming linux platform since DirectX requirement will kill your gaming system if you don't have Windows installed. this is the only reason why we haven't got Linux gaming mainstream yet: it will never be as long as Windows is main platform for developers and it will be with coming Xbox One being Windows based etc.

OpenGL games exist.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

OpenGL games exist.

Of course, but it's a fraction of a fraction of the market. 

We need a huge boom, revolution in order to make linux gaming platform. a game ported to Linux every now and then (and basically no blockbuster titles) won't help.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Ever since Steam has been pushing Linux gaming, a load of games are now OpenGL ready. Likewise, compare how many Steam games you can play on Linux now compared to when valve took Steam on Linux off of Beta.

The push has started, the will and desire are there. It is coming.

Ever since Steam has been pushing Linux gaming, a load of games are now OpenGL ready. likewise, compare how many Steam games you can play on Linux now compared to when valve took Steam on Linux off of Beta.

The push has started, the will and desire are there. It is coming.

Make a driver that converts DirectX to OpenGL on-the-fly and then, Linux will replace Windows completely.

That is probably next-to impossible. So yeah. But it would be great.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If Steam wants games to move away from DirectX, they will move away from DirectX.

Steam is calling the shots here. Any game company that doesn't follow the Steam way must have a damn good reason and a pretty large influence (Blizzard and EA maybe) not to follow.

something being a fraction of a fraction of the market means nothing. Steam will move the market.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Make a driver that converts DirectX to OpenGL on-the-fly and then, Linux will replace Windows completely.

Ha. haha.hahahaha

easier said then done.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

When I go to college in two years I'm building my own pc. With the laptop I'm running right now I think more than likely will be converted to run on Linux. Gabe is right on how big Linux might get right now (first time in my life I'm right on something). Linux now might be a good system to learn to use.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I think the reason they decided to go with Linux over Windows is because Linux is much more open then Windows. Microsoft is extremely  lazy and greedy, and does no more work than required to maintain a stranglehold on the market. By market, I mean the ENTIRE market. Not gaming. To them, Gaming is just a means to keep people locked down on their platform. They do not care about what benefits video game developer's audience. They keep updates locked down to herd Windows users to the next operating system. It's horrible sickening. If you want to see the real cancer killing gaming. That's it right there. Not consoles. -Windows- is Killing PC gaming. Windows is the reason why developers are still releasing direct x9 games. Not consoles. This narrative is extremely hard to swallow for an audience that spends it's time making disparaging remarks against every platform but their own -- Mac users, console users, casual users, whatever. And the irony is that smartphones are at the forefront of OpenGL's resurgence.

I mean you can try out right now. Load up Fraps and try capturing video while playing a game. Chances are that unless you have some really high end under utilized hardware like a quad core CPU you're going to notice a really big hit. Sometimes reducing your frame rate down to 25% of what it normally is. And even if you have really high end hardware. It still hits you pretty bad. On Linux, This isn't really nearly as bad. Even right now, Let alone when they roll out extremely optimized solutions. Stea games on Linux will be able to screencapture with something around 10% hit. Without using an external capture card.

They couldn't have really chosen windows for what they want to do, so I dont know why you even brought that up. Also you bring up FRAPS if yo understand how it works youll understand why you get less FPS in your game when using it. Also if the program used in linux functions in the same fashion youll see about the same hit. Linux isnt some miracle medicine for a PC in any way shape or form. Also the 10% hit you speak of seems awfully close to what nvidia quoted for shadow play so my guess the technology you speak of is close to that in the way that its using a hardware h.264 encoder.

Elaborate. I'm curious.

Your locked down to the Steam OS which means games are through steam only and the services they choose to offer through it, may they me theirs or someone that they have partnered with.

The very second the I can be sure all my games will work on a linux based machine is the second I uninstall windows and make the switch.

I love messing around with Linux, and the direction Microsoft is going with windows 8 and 8.1 is pretty terrible at best :)

Games would have to be redone in opencl for this to happen most likely which most likely wont happen unless the game has a huge following.

Valve has the cojones to actually get the wheel-a-turnin' with Linux, while many developers/publishers were reluctant to code for it since it's such a small market, and hardware manufacturers are usually slow at releasing new drivers. Their standpoint to both of them was basically: "If you build it, they will come." Valve has been working hard on their end to get their side up and running to make this happen, and they've been working with developers and manufacturers to make sure they're good on their end.

It may seem that we're going at a slow pace now, but this wheel is going to pick up speed, and fast.

What if this didnt help linux very much at all? Like say all drivers for steam OS were handled through steam OS. Meaning they would be available for other linux distro's or would only be optimized for Steam OS. Its my guess that at least steam OS will automatically handel all the drivers who knows what the companies that make those divers will decide to do with them. I see this as Valve trying to get console games over to their PC platform. The only way to do this is essentially make this a console in many respects.

Correct! and hopefully X1 will make more developers start to use newer revisions of directx

OpenGL games exist.

True but how many are their and how many of those are done by a bigish name studio other then valve?

That is probably next-to impossible. So yeah. But it would be great.

So your saying emulate a whole API? I imagine it could be done but how bad would the performance be?

If Steam wants games to move away from DirectX, they will move away from DirectX.

Steam is calling the shots here. Any game company that doesn't follow the Steam way must have a damn good reason and a pretty large influence (Blizzard and EA maybe) not to follow.

something being a fraction of a fraction of the market means nothing. Steam will move the market.

I would call BS on this because it the consumers who dictate for the most part what platform the developers will develop for as Majority rules. Without Steam we could still easily have PC gaming, maybe it wouldnt be as big as it is today but it would defiantly still be here,

When I go to college in two years I'm building my own pc. With the laptop I'm running right now I think more than likely will be converted to run on Linux. Gabe is right on how big Linux might get right now (first time in my life I'm right on something). Linux now might be a good system to learn to use.

Well im going to say this right now and probably get some flak for it Steam OS will be about as much like Linux as Android is, or at least thats my feeling. Its by no means going to be anything like running straight up Linux and there is a reason that Linux hasnt caught on in the main stream and its not just due to programs. Its only now really getting to the point where your standard user might be able to use it.

Your locked down to the Steam OS which means games are through steam only and the services they choose to offer through it, may they me theirs or someone that they have partnered with.

You do realize the existence of SteamOS doesn't force you to use it right? Steam will still remain on Windows, OS X and other flavours of Linux. Steam Machines don't even need to run SteamOS, it's replaceable with anything you want it to be. 

And obviously it'll only be Steam, until such a time as EA decides Origin should be on Linux too. In which case, the logical choice for EA would be to put their games on Steam, especially if they wait too long and SteamOS gains the traction it needs to become permanent. 

SteamOS isn't just Steam - it's a Linux base heavily integrated with Steam, but still having the features of a fully fledged Linux operating system. Which means that any developer can still develop for it - without having to put their game on Steam. The tools Valve provides doesn't necessarily have to be locked down to SteamOS - in fact, the logical option to maintain the openness they want is to allow developers to use their tools to create games, not games for their platform. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You do realize the existence of SteamOS doesn't force you to use it right? Steam will still remain on Windows, OS X and other flavours of Linux. Steam Machines don't even need to run SteamOS, it's replaceable with anything you want it to be. 

And obviously it'll only be Steam, until such a time as EA decides Origin should be on Linux too. In which case, the logical choice for EA would be to put their games on Steam, especially if they wait too long and SteamOS gains the traction it needs to become permanent. 

SteamOS isn't just Steam - it's a Linux base heavily integrated with Steam, but still having the features of a fully fledged Linux operating system. Which means that any developer can still develop for it - without having to put their game on Steam. The tools Valve provides doesn't necessarily have to be locked down to SteamOS - in fact, the logical option to maintain the openness they want is to allow developers to use their tools to create games, not games for their platform. 

Im not saying steam wont be on windows anymore or anything like that. But since its is available on the other platforms which you are probably already using and can probably do more things why would you switch to Steam OS? I personally would almost see it as a downgrade in a way.

Steam Machines will most likely be locked to at linux like the chromebooks (ie Pixel). Though if you buying a steam machine I dont know why you would want to run something else on it. If your going to do that just build your own PC from scratch and anyone who couldnt build their own PC probably would want or know how to put something else on it.

I envision Steam being the OS thus Steam OS not a OS optimized for steam but is steam. The best example I can think of is with a HTPC how you can have it just boot and open your software straight away so you dont see windows or the desktop. I actually think you could do this with Steams Big Picture Mode right now. The thing is that you probably cant go to the desktop or there wont be one at all. Im imagining integration like you see on android devices like the Kindle and the nook. I guess the Shield to some extent once you get into the Nvidia bit of it but not being able to use something else.

Another great example just look at a PS3 or X360 itll be like that but Steamified. Youll be able to turn any PC into a console (essentially) that all it does is steam and what you can get/do over steam and what ever else they decide to add later after they make more partnerships. Also even better is that companies will sell computers with this on it and most of the people that buy those wont uninstall the OS and install a different one. This will be just like android phones, tablets, and other devices on the market currently. Their attempting to make PC gaming more accessible and get those people who didnt play their games on PC in the past now play the on a "PC" monetizing it as best as they can in the process (I think thats the right term). I mean they call it the Steam Universe how does that not sound like Apple's Ecosystem or how consoles handle things? Here is just one reason I see this being a possibility:

"Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input."
direct from the Steam Machines page.

To me that definitely point to them optimizing it for  controller possibly even their controller. This isnt to say that you couldnt use others but what percentage of the people who buy consoles buy aftermarket controllers? And what if say the companies that make these Steam Boxes have to include one when they sell it?

About your last paragraph I see nothing about what you said in what they have said so far just that there is openness which could mean that or anything can be offered on this platform through them on SteamOS. I could see valve doing what your saying i anyone would but I see them going more toward what im thinking since that is what nearly all companies are currently trying to do. With the expanding popularity of PC gaming this would be a great way to open up a new market for them with out any real need for development of hardware just like what Google did with android.

You give EA too much credit.

As long as they can still squeeze every dime out of the console market they could care less about Linux OS'.

The current situation of linux is not optimzed to be a "real" big gaming platform 

maybe valve can change that with steam os

Im not saying steam wont be on windows anymore or anything like that. But since its is available on the other platforms which you are probably already using and can probably do more things why would you switch to Steam OS? I personally would almost see it as a downgrade in a way.

That's where you're mistaken, and since the rest of the post is based on the misconception, I'll address this.

SteamOS isn't Steam. Steam itself isn't SteamOS. SteamOS is Linux (everything it provides, security, stability, productivity tools) with Steam (modified for new features). Linux is more than capable of doing everything Windows does, while still being lighter on the resources. Valve started with Ubuntu when they ported the Steam client to Linux. SteamOS is a result of that initial step. Willing to bet anything SteamOS boots into Big Picture by default (Arch Linux has been modded to do that too), which'll make it easy to close out of Big Picture to access everything else. 

Read the FAQs on the Steam Machines page - everything about the Steam Machine can be changed, including the OS. The features that they mentioned as part of SteamOS will in reality be for Steam on all platforms (the only exception is in-house streaming, since Steam on Windows doesn't need it). 

Valve isn't all companies. The mere fact that they're pushing Linux (SteamOS being 100% free ... ) is enough to show that they're not in it for the money. 

It's the same old story peoples, market share. For all of the things people have complained about Linux for in this thread those things are solved with market share. Right now it looks like this:

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Linux has about 2% of website traffic, OSX has 7%, Windows has 70% and the rest is mobile/other. So if you wonder why Windows has better drivers, more games on Steam and so on then that's why. That's the only reason why. If Valve can turn this SteamBox into a console that tears people away from the XBOne and PS4 and gains market share all of that stuff will come. It'll come to both Steam on Linux and Steam on Windows. It'll come in the say way that GTA5 came to the 360/PS3 and not PC first. Developers don't care about keeping platforms alive, they care about making a profit.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Adding to this thread again, it's funny seeing the hardcore Linux and windows fans argue about SteamOS. One side is angry because it isn't main streamline Linux and the other is angry because it isn't windows.

For general users I still think that consoles with prevail... that's aren't running Linux... I wish they were going to be. But I'm  errr aargg I dunno. Just yeah. I want to try this new Linux/steam OS but I'm don't think it will catch on very much

PROVE ME WRONG VALVE :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

TBH I think there's a good chance that this will happen. DirectX sucks hard compared to OpenGL, [for developers aswell if I got that right].

And all the important stuff already runs Linux. I wouldn't have a problem switching to Linux the very second I can run all my games and a few programs I need. I'd trash windows instantly.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

TBH I think there's a good chance that this will happen. DirectX sucks hard compared to OpenGL, [for developers aswell if I got that right].

And all the important stuff already runs Linux. I wouldn't have a problem switching to Linux the very second I can run all my games and a few programs I need. I'd trash windows instantly.

I tried to switch to Ubuntu for a while... I could never get Wine to help me install JAVA for Minecraft xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?