GPU acceleration is coming to Java

TALHA

So said IBM’s Chief Technology Officer of Java, John Duimovich, in a keynote address at the JavaOne conference today.

Duimovich noted that GPU accelerators pack incredible compute power, and leveraging their 10x speedups for Java workloads can accelerate complex computations that process lots of data.

Java and GPUs open up a world of new opportunities for GPU accelerators and Java programmers alike.

Millions of developers rely on the Java programming language for web 2.0, big data analytics and scientific computing. It’s widely used in large-scale distributed frameworks, like Apache Hadoop, due to its ease of programmability, modularity and multiplatform support. 

READ MORE: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/09/22/gpu-coming-to-java/#

So said IBM’s Chief Technology Officer of Java, John Duimovich, in a keynote address at the JavaOne conference today.

Duimovich noted that GPU accelerators pack incredible compute power, and leveraging their 10x speedups for Java workloads can accelerate complex computations that process lots of data.

Java and GPUs open up a world of new opportunities for GPU accelerators and Java programmers alike.

Millions of developers rely on the Java programming language for web 2.0, big data analytics and scientific computing. It’s widely used in large-scale distributed frameworks, like Apache Hadoop, due to its ease of programmability, modularity and multiplatform support. 

READ MORE: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/09/22/gpu-coming-to-java/#

One would think this kind of news would come from AMD representative of APU, HSA and hUMA marketing... mwhahahah :D

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Sweet! This might make Java an even better language now if we are able to have GPU acceleration.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

i kept hearing of java  gpu acceleration a while ago from many Universities etc

but nothing happens

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Man i just hope these trickle down to us consumers/prosumers..

why don't they spend money making java not a bloated piece of crap instead of throwing more horsepower at it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Don't really like java because there seems to be so many exploits in it. But having GPU acceleration is not bad imo as it can help java games run better.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm amazed that no one mentioned the FPS you could achieve in Minecraft with this.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

Under the entry of "Spaghetti Coded" in programming textbooks, the foremost example should be Java, followed by Windows 3.11

Hopefully Java will be extinct by the time this becomes more than an ambition. At least my country is planning to remove Java from all high-security functions soon, including all banks etc.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

yay! Faster minecraft rendering!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|