Windows Audio over 2 monitors

CGurrell

Hey Guys,

I know the title is vague but to be honest, I'm having trouble summarising this. So here goes...

Basically, I have 2 monitors for my computer. I don't have them in surround, and both monitors support Audio over HDMI/DisplayPort (Yes, DisplayPort carries audio. It took me ages to realise this). What I want, is for one monitor to have the audio of whatever it is displaying coming out of one set of speakers, and the other monitor have the audio of what it's displaying out of another set of speakers. I also want to be able to split audio sources manually between a set of speakers and my headphones. I don't mind having to manually select audio sources or each set of speakers.

I can't figure out how to do this in windows and I'm not even sure if it's possible. I'm guessing there may be some software I need, or maybe an additional Sound Card (I have my mobos onboard sound and 2 GPUs, so either 1 or 2 sound cards depending on how many I can utilise).

If anyone can shed light on this, please do!

Chris

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

4 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

To my knowledge you can'take do that. Also, IMO I would recommend a decent pair of cans for your computer. Monitor speakers are garbage, and are sooo... distorted. Don'the buy a "gaming" pair of head phones, I've made that mistake before. 

Should have specified, I have speakers plugged into both monitors that take the audio feed sent via HDMI/DP. They're both decent enough. I have a headset I got a few years back which doesn't sound great but it's wireless and gets the job done (Turtle Beach XP500). 

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

7 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Monitor speakers are garbage, and are sooo... distorted.

Never say this again.

Good monitor speakers are most certainly not garbage, and will not be distorted.

Monitor speakers you've used may have been garbage, but I can assure you, a statement like "monitor speakers are garbage" is 100% not true.

I prefer using my monitors to my headphones, because my monitors sound better than my headphones ever will.

I'd like to know what experience you've had with monitor speakers to make a statement like this.

This would require automation/scripting at a low hardware access level. Windows doesn't offer automatic audio source switching based on events (focused windows changed the monitor it's being displayed on) and it's impossible to natively check for these types of events. You could try mapping the applications to the different sound outputs, but I'm afraid not much else.

5 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Also monitor speakers are honestly just a gimmick, I'll take my HIFIMan HE560's over any speaker, especially monitor speakers.  

Over all speaker? Are you REALLY sure about that?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Ok let me give you links to monitors that I own and have tested the speaks just to see what they are like. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294&cm_re=ASUS_PB278Q-_-24-236-294-_-Product - ASUS PB278Q

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117 - ASUS VH238H

Also monitor speakers are honestly just a gimmick, I'll take my HIFIMan HE560's over any speaker, especially monitor speakers.  

Oh. You're talking about speakers integrated into your monitor...

Not monitor speakers.

In that case, yes, I 100% agree speakers integrated into your monitor are garbage.

I thought you were talking about monitor speakers like these.

I do however disagree that you'd prefer your HE560's to any speaker.

On 04/05/2016 at 7:28 AM, CGurrell said:

Hey Guys,

Chris

I'm not sure I understood 100% what it is you're trying to do.

But as long as EACH sound device is registered as unique to Windows,

here goes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/software/comments/3f3em6/is_there_a_alternative_to_chevolume/cyptuz2

ADD:

Basically what happens with this app is that you choose where you want to play each and every audio source. When you start the up all audio will be on "Default Audio Device" then you just transfer each one of them to where you want to play them.

THIS IS NOT MINE. AND I AM NOT AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH THE DEV.

I just use it for when I play music on my TS Lobby.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |