Small (and cheap) mATX case with ATX PSU support

Noyu
Go to solution Solved by Noyu,

Versa H15 wins. Confirmed from one dude that the 212X is still compatible with 1mm clearance. ahahaha

The PS09 is simply too small, some of my Scythe GT's will be useless.

SOLVED!

I'm bored with my current case (Phenom M) so I'm planning to resell it and buy a smaller (and hopefully cheaper) case

I'm still stuck with mATX since I don't have funds to buy an mITX board.

My current choice would be the:

TT Versa H15 - is not that much smaller in terms of volume, but is slimmer and better with airflow in general. CON: may have to change CPU cooler

Silverstone PS08 - is ugly but is very small compared to the Phenom M CON: will have to change CPU cooler 100% sure

Silverstone PS09 - is ugly but is very small compared to the Phenom M CON: will have to change CPU cooler 100% sure unavailable

FYI, in case you need to know, later on I plan to upgrade the CPU into a i7-4790, but I don't how that will affect the choices since it's non-OC.

Also, one idea would be to transfer to an mITX case, but currently I have no means since mITX LGA1150 boards are basically poof now (here in the PH)

Maybe the transfer to mITX will come at a later date (when I'm overseas or something).

Any other ideas?

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Fractal Design Node 304

Fractal Design Core 500 (best one imho)

Define Nano S

Phanteks Evolv ITX

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

Fractal Design Node 304

Fractal Design Core 500 (best one imho)

Define Nano S

Phanteks Evolv ITX

Shoot I wrote ITX in the title, I meant mATX. my b

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

^those are the best ITX cases. If you want MATX, get a Corsair Air 540. But before you consider ITX, actually question yourself, do I need a small form factor? People are like WOW, mITX is so awesome and innovative! And then they buy it and it ends up just sitting on/under their desk anyway, never moved, never shown off except from photos on the Internet, etc,

Do you really need SFF? If not, just stay MATX or even an ATX case lol. 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Just now, Trav_X said:

^those are the best ITX cases. If you want MATX, get a Corsair Air 540. But before you consider ITX, actually question yourself, do I need a small form factor? People are like WOW, mITX is so awesome and innovative! And then they buy it and it ends up just sitting on/under their desk anyway, never moved, never shown off except from photos on the Internet, etc,

I mean Air 240, sorry

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#xcx=0&t=5,7,6,8&p=0&f=7&m=52,8,149,337,169,50,11,225,18,58,62,27,94,229,51,63,46,56

Check out this list. I filtered to MATX case and MATX board form factor, and the companies I would deem acceptable and quality buys.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

What do you mean by cheap? I just downsized from an ATX Full Tower to a mATX tower and I love my Phanteks Evolv mATX. Honestly, the best case I've ever built in. Super high quality and great features. Just depends on your budget though.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

19 minutes ago, tk421 said:

What do you mean by cheap? I just downsized from an ATX Full Tower to a mATX tower and I love my Phanteks Evolv mATX. Honestly, the best case I've ever built in. Super high quality and great features. Just depends on your budget though.

I'm considering that case myself, but I'm worried about that side window. It's kinda small. Do you think that that case would be something I'd be able to drill some holes in and put an acrylic clear side panel on? Just so I can view my beautiful creation?

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Just now, Trav_X said:

I'm considering that case myself, but I'm worried about that side window. It's kinda small. Do you think that that case would be something I'd be able to drill some holes in and put an acrylic clear side panel on? Just so I can view my beautiful creation?

Maybe. Phanteks just announced their Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Edition so maybe they'll do that for their mATX line? Who knows. I actually like the fact that It didn't show everything. I came from a Corsair 750D with a massive side window that honestly showed too much. It made everything seem so small with the empty space near the front of the PC. With the Evolv mATX, I just see my heatsink and GPUs. (It's also a smoked window I think, or maybe I just didn't pay much attention.)

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

12 minutes ago, tk421 said:

Maybe. Phanteks just announced their Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Edition so maybe they'll do that for their mATX line? Who knows. I actually like the fact that It didn't show everything. I came from a Corsair 750D with a massive side window that honestly showed too much. It made everything seem so small with the empty space near the front of the PC. With the Evolv mATX, I just see my heatsink and GPUs. (It's also a smoked window I think, or maybe I just didn't pay much attention.)

Yeah I saw the Tempered Glass version but don't need/want to pay almost $200 bucks for one of those xD I'd rather splurge even more and get something like a Lian Li PC-08. I'd buy a tempered glass Evolv ITX or MATX, and I'll probably wait for leaks or rumors about it in the coming weeks :) thanks for your opinion though

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

1 hour ago, Trav_X said:

^those are the best ITX cases. If you want MATX, get a Corsair Air 540 240. But before you consider ITX, actually question yourself, do I need a small form factor? People are like WOW, mITX is so awesome and innovative! And then they buy it and it ends up just sitting on/under their desk anyway, never moved, never shown off except from photos on the Internet, etc,

Yes I do actually. Since my room is very small and the only space for my stuff is one computer table. I'm even limited to a 22" monitor because of the space. HOWEVER, I am not looking into mITX right now since I have nowhere to buy a board for it. And also, if I'm ever gonna transfer to mITX, I'll be doing it on Skylake, so it will be a completely new build.

MOVING ON:  The Air 240 is bigger than the Phenom M, sooo no thanks.

1 hour ago, tk421 said:

By cheap, I meant cheaper than a Phenom M (since the goal is to transfer my rig without additional costs).

The EVOLV mATX is 70% more expensive than the Phenom M (at least here in my country). Also it is bigger than the Phenom M

Karamo

Spoiler

Versa H15 wins. Confirmed from one dude that the 212X is still compatible with 1mm clearance. ahahaha

The PS09 is simply too small, some of my Scythe GT's will be useless.

SOLVED!

Karamo

Spoiler