PC boots into Bios but wont boot into OS

Bacon8tor

Ok so I decided to use my old FX-8350 , Gigabyte UD-3 , Ram, HD 6450  for work . the only thing I needed to find was a power supply. I found a 550 w CoolMax PSU . 

Let me start with saying That I know this CPU is power hungry, and I am horrible when it comes to knowing what voltage goes where and how to tell if its under powered. 

After getting everything hooked up I powered the system on, with no USB bootable , I wanted to see if it would post, and It did I went into the bios. It sees recognized all the memory and Hdd's I had connected. 

Powered it off. 

plugged in Bootable usb. 

powered back on. 

It post, the I see windows Loading files screen.

Once that loads it just stays on a black screen . 

PSU issue? I just dont know if a PSU would allow the system to post and go to bios but not load into OS.???

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

550w is fine for that system, it could be a corrupt install of windows?

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I can try another usb stick, I can try an differnet os. I guess it could be although I jsut used it the other day and worked fine. 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

14 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

I can try another usb stick, I can try an differnet os. I guess it could be although I jsut used it the other day and worked fine. 

Probably should just try to reinstall Windows

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I'll say its bad windows 

I have been noticing sometime when I create the bootable with Rufus I sometimes run into issues so I am making it again with a Different ISO. , using PowerISO, and a different USB . 

19 minutes ago, berderder said:

Probably should just try to reinstall Windows

23 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I'll say its bad windows 

35 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

550w is fine for that system, it could be a corrupt install of windows?

Ok  so boots up , shows windows loading , get the Windows Symbol . then just powers off. (different then what it was doing before) 

Video Below 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

Ok  so boots up , shows windows loading , get the Windows Symbol . then just powers off. (different then what it was doing before) 

Video Below 

Hide contents

It seems like it's a power supply issue if it's turning off. Are you sure your power supply is sufficient for all your components? You need to add all the needs of your components together and see if the power supply supplies enough power

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

1 minute ago, Bacon8tor said:

Video Below 

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry but is that noise from your PC or somewhere outside?

I am not certain, but this is what I was thinking. I do have an Antec 900w PSu that I need to replace with a redundant powersupply. ( built a NAS here and the PSU didnt come in so put that antec in) now I need to replace it with the redudant PSU . I was thinking since I didnt have a big GPU in here that I could squeeze by wth a 500w, its the only thing I cna think of is this PSU is not sufficient. 

1 hour ago, Bacon8tor said:

Ok so I decided to use my old FX-8350 , Gigabyte UD-3 , Ram, HD 6450  for work . the only thing I needed to find was a power supply. I found a 550 w CoolMax PSU . 

Let me start with saying That I know this CPU is power hungry, and I am horrible when it comes to knowing what voltage goes where and how to tell if its under powered. 

After getting everything hooked up I powered the system on, with no USB bootable , I wanted to see if it would post, and It did I went into the bios. It sees recognized all the memory and Hdd's I had connected. 

Powered it off. 

plugged in Bootable usb. 

powered back on. 

It post, the I see windows Loading files screen.

Once that loads it just stays on a black screen . 

PSU issue? I just dont know if a PSU would allow the system to post and go to bios but not load into OS.???

It's something like this:

RAM = 100w

Mobo = 200 w

Power supply needs to supply at least 300w. You understand what I mean?

2 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

I am not certain, but this is what I was thinking. I do have an Antec 900w PSu that I need to replace with a redundant powersupply. ( built a NAS here and the PSU didnt come in so put that antec in) now I need to replace it with the redudant PSU . I was thinking since I didnt have a big GPU in here that I could squeeze by wth a 500w, its the only thing I cna think of is this PSU is not sufficient. 

I think it's insufficient PSU

4 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Sorry but is that noise from your PC or somewhere outside?

haha I have an old dell sc 1425 running Dariks Boot and Nuke like 2 feet away from my camera, and that machine is pretty loud. Plus the psu wasnt the quietest. all in all im chucking this PSU, have to come in early tomorrow shutdown the NAS and replace the PSU so I can use that antec. 

haha I have an old dell sc 1425 running Dariks Boot and Nuke like 2 feet away from my camera, and that machine is pretty loud. Plus the psu wasnt the quietest. all in all im chucking this PSU, have to come in early tomorrow shutdown the NAS and replace the PSU so I can use that antec. 

For me it sounded like a bad psu fan..thats why i asked. What is your ram and how many ram slots has your mobo?

2 minutes ago, berderder said:

It's something like this:

RAM = 100w

Mobo = 200 w

Power supply needs to supply at least 300w. You understand what I mean?

Yea gotcha. but where do you figure how much your RAM needs? How much your MObo uses?how much the Hdd needs? how much more does it pull with a GPU powering off the PCI slot? the CPU is easy. Just not sure how you calculate all of this. 

With this CPU I have always had a PSU that had ample "wiggle" room, and when I bought it I had a r9 380 in there so thatsa why I had the 900w Antec, which Im sure is more than enough as I was able to OC the GPU and CPU a tad(once to 5.3Ghz ) then stopped cause Temps were a bit high(high for a 8350 is like borderline overheating in a car, ok exaggerating a bit) 

4 minutes ago, berderder said:

I think it's insufficient PSU

Agreed. we shall see tomorrow If I can get that antec out, I hate having to work when it wont affect business hours,Hardware maintenance is a pain in my ass!!!!

4 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

Yea gotcha. but where do you figure how much your RAM needs? How much your MObo uses?how much the Hdd needs? how much more does it pull with a GPU powering off the PCI slot? the CPU is easy. Just not sure how you calculate all of this. 

With this CPU I have always had a PSU that had ample "wiggle" room, and when I bought it I had a r9 380 in there so thatsa why I had the 900w Antec, which Im sure is more than enough as I was able to OC the GPU and CPU a tad(once to 5.3Ghz ) then stopped cause Temps were a bit high(high for a 8350 is like borderline overheating in a car, ok exaggerating a bit) 

The box that the parts came in would be the first step. Otherwise you might just have to do some Google searching. I think there's some utilities like BelArc Advisor that could scan your system and possibly tell you your power needs. I am not completely sure though if BelArc Advisor does that specific thing. It would however tell you exactly what parts you have, and then you could do your research from there

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

For me it sounded like a bad psu fan..thats why i asked. What is your ram and how many ram slots has your mobo?

F*** that PSU. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g6PPyc   <- these are all the parts , minus the antec PSU that is the PSU I need to free up , and the GPU is a hd 6450 2GB fanless model 

Well Its been an interesting day. I had to Mod this old Dell Tower Server case, it had a removable motherboard tray that I had to cut a rectangle out for the AMD backplate. once I get that PSU in there Ill update whether the issue was resolved, I guessing it will boot fine when it has sufficient power. 

11 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

Agreed. we shall see tomorrow If I can get that antec out, I hate having to work when it wont affect business hours,Hardware maintenance is a pain in my ass!!!!

We'll see where it goes from there. Let us know. Another person in the thread mentioned RAM so there's always something else that could be looked at most likely, but I think what you'll do will fix it. 

1 minute ago, berderder said:

We'll see where it goes from there. Let us know. Another person in the thread mentioned RAM so there's always something else that could be looked at most likely, but I think what you'll do will fix it. 

I highly doubt its the ram. This equipment was my daily machine about 2 months ago. then when I got the i5-660k everything came out and into the static bags and boxes it came in. naything is possible but the BIos was reecognizing all 16 gb 

I highly doubt its the ram. This equipment was my daily machine about 2 months ago. then when I got the i5-660k everything came out and into the static bags and boxes it came in. naything is possible but the BIos was reecognizing all 16 gb 

Yeah, I highly doubt it's the RAM too especially if it's at 16GB. If you had 4 cards at 4GB each, like 3 of the cards would have to be failing for some sort of issue like this. But the entire system turning off? I really don't think that's a RAM issue

18 hours ago, berderder said:

Yeah, I highly doubt it's the RAM too especially if it's at 16GB. If you had 4 cards at 4GB each, like 3 of the cards would have to be failing for some sort of issue like this. But the entire system turning off? I really don't think that's a RAM issue

OK so got the PSU out of the NAS it was like a nascar pitstop lol. 

Now it is booting windows, but it did the same thing the first time i powered it on with the new PSU. 

Then I began to look at the mobo to see if I can see any problems. . .  and not sure if this was causing a thermal shutdown but the water pump was only plugged in 3 out of the 4 pins :/ YIKES plugged it in correctly and all was well thank god I didnt fry this chip. 

Thought is share this . picture of my work desk now 

20160503_105849.jpg

5 hours ago, Bacon8tor said:

OK so got the PSU out of the NAS it was like a nascar pitstop lol. 

Now it is booting windows, but it did the same thing the first time i powered it on with the new PSU. 

Then I began to look at the mobo to see if I can see any problems. . .  and not sure if this was causing a thermal shutdown but the water pump was only plugged in 3 out of the 4 pins :/ YIKES plugged it in correctly and all was well thank god I didnt fry this chip. 

If the CPU overheats the system will shut down to protect itself. I doubt it would do that straight away on boot though. It'd probably have to be on for a few more minutes than that, maybe like a half hour. Your work computer is liquid cooled? That's interesting. Anyway, now that the cooling system is better in place let us know what happens