Good 2-3 piece desktop speaker brand?

coltonpan
Go to solution Solved by johnt,
20 minutes ago, coltonpan said:

I know headphone go-to brands are usually Sennheiser, Audio-technica, and etc (sorry if i didn't mention your favorite brand).  

Is there a good desktop speaker brand like that? I've been using Bose Companion. However, I've come to realize that Bose are pretty overpriced for the sound quality. I'm not looking for super pro audio brand but something good enough and affordable brand.

Generally Logitech, Klipsch, Bose, and a few other companies dominate this market. Even Corsair is trying to get in a piece of the action. The unfortunate part of this category is that none of these companies make their products. They write specifications, provide packaging boxes, and badges/stickers.

There are a lot of names in the audio industry though that are better. But a "desktop" speaker brand is a little too vague. There's bookshelf speakers like ones produced by Audioengine, JBL (LSR305, Studio 530), KEF, or KRK. Even exotic companies like Wharfedale. All of these companies produce products superior to the brands I listed above.

Lastly, there are brands that are seriously serious about audio gear like Seaton Sound, JTR, and Power Sound Audio. These are movie theater and dance club worthy level of audio products. But that doesn't mean you can't use them for a desktop.

Edit: I forgot to mention... it's more about your own budget than brands.

I know headphone go-to brands are usually Sennheiser, Audio-technica, and etc (sorry if i didn't mention your favorite brand).  

Is there a good desktop speaker brand like that? I've been using Bose Companion. However, I've come to realize that Bose are pretty overpriced for the sound quality. I'm not looking for super pro audio brand but something good enough and affordable brand.

3 minutes ago, coltonpan said:

I personally realy like the Edifier Luna Eclipse. Audio/Hifi Heads say theyre overpriced tho. I dont realy care about that tho at a Price of 180€, since they do sound finde to me and look realy cool.

20 minutes ago, coltonpan said:

Generally Logitech, Klipsch, Bose, and a few other companies dominate this market. Even Corsair is trying to get in a piece of the action. The unfortunate part of this category is that none of these companies make their products. They write specifications, provide packaging boxes, and badges/stickers.

There are a lot of names in the audio industry though that are better. But a "desktop" speaker brand is a little too vague. There's bookshelf speakers like ones produced by Audioengine, JBL (LSR305, Studio 530), KEF, or KRK. Even exotic companies like Wharfedale. All of these companies produce products superior to the brands I listed above.

Lastly, there are brands that are seriously serious about audio gear like Seaton Sound, JTR, and Power Sound Audio. These are movie theater and dance club worthy level of audio products. But that doesn't mean you can't use them for a desktop.

Edit: I forgot to mention... it's more about your own budget than brands.

Edited by JohnT

22 minutes ago, coltonpan said:

There are a lot of good speakers for near field use. As JohnT mentioned, your preference and budget should govern your direction. 

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

I am more into audiophile oriented but less pieces. The "desktop" speaker I meant are usually less than 3 pieces so that they can fit your desk with your monitors, keyboards and other stuff. Thanks for the list you provided! I think I've heard of Audioenginge!

1 minute ago, coltonpan said:

I am more into audiophile oriented but less pieces. The "desktop" speaker I meant are usually less than 3 pieces so that they can fit your desk with your monitors, keyboards and other stuff. Thanks for the list you provided! I think I've heard of Audioenginge!

Would two speakers and an amplifier count as 3 pieces to you? Do you have a ballpark budget?

1 minute ago, Stagea said:

There are a lot of good speakers for near field use. As JohnT mentioned, your preference and budget should govern your direction. 

I don't have a set budget. It depends on how good the products are. I'm generally looking for 2 or 3 pieces speakers that don't take up a huge space. My budge is probably something less than $300? I'm willing to spend a lot if I see the fit.

I never would spend more than $200 on a headset, but once I have tried an Audio-technica, I instantly tossed away my shitty earbuds that came with my phone

My experience has shown more pieces usually sounds better. But I can't argue that fewer pieces are much more convenient... not to mention cheaper.

I don't fully understand what you mean by three pieces though. You mean two speakers and a receiver or two speakers and a subwoofer?

2 minutes ago, Stagea said:

Would two speakers and an amplifier count as 3 pieces to you? Do you have a ballpark budget?

Yeah. that would count as 3 pieces to me xD. ballpark would probably be $500

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

My experience has shown more pieces usually sounds better. But I can't argue that fewer pieces are much more convenient... not to mention cheaper.

I don't fully understand what you mean by three pieces though. You mean two speakers and a receiver or two speakers and a subwoofer?

Sorry about the pieces thingy confusion lol. Anything that takes place counts as a "piece". I was emphasizing on the space that it takes. (the remote control receiver or power/volume control thingy doesn't count though)

JohnT has answered my question though! I'm just looking for good brands that produces real good sounding speakers. I will do all the shopping myself! Thanks guys

2 minutes ago, coltonpan said:

Sorry about the pieces thingy confusion lol. Anything that takes place counts as a "piece". I was emphasizing on the space that it takes. (the remote control receiver or power/volume control thingy doesn't count though)

I'll let @Stagea recommend some products. My input would be to look on Craigslist or eBay for used receivers if you decide on passive speakers. New receivers carry far too many features and usually a higher price tag because of it. Test before you buy and rock on :)

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I'll let @Stagea recommend some products. My input would be to look on Craigslist or eBay for used receivers if you decide on passive speakers. New receivers carry far too many features and usually a higher price tag because of it. Test before you buy and rock on :)

I probably need to do more homework on this xD. There are a few terms I'm not so familiar with. Passive speakers, receivers... 

I probably need to do more homework on this xD. There are a few terms I'm not so familiar with. Passive speakers, receivers... 

In lame-man's terms...

Passive speakers: They require a power source to "drive" them (or make them produce sound... or "amplify" the sound). Example: Klipsch speakers

Active speakers: They have an amplifier built in. All of your cables plug directly into the speaker, and they even contain a volume knob usually. Example: JBL LSR305

Amplifier: A device that provides power, usually to passive speakers. Example: Emotiva monsters

Receiver: This is a very common device because it's most convenient. It includes built in amplifier to drive speakers. All of your cables usually plug directly into a device like this. Example: Entry level Yamaha

Processor: You can even get a "processor" or a "pre-amp," which lets you switch between inputs and processes the sound, but it does not amplify the sound to drive speakers. Example: Yamaha preamp

41 minutes ago, coltonpan said:

Yeah. that would count as 3 pieces to me xD. ballpark would probably be $500

Something like this can work:

PSB Imagine XB

You can choose a good budget amp to drive them. If you don't plan on expanding your system, a 2 channel one can work.

Here's a traditional one:

Yamaha R-S201

These are examples of direct digital amps going down in price:

Direct Digital Amp

Direct Digital Amp 2

As previously mentioned, used amps and speakers can be a treat if you look well enough.

@coltonpan what major city in California do you live nearby?

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

In lame-man's terms...

Passive speakers: They require a power source to "drive" them (or make them produce sound... or "amplify" the sound). Example: Klipsch speakers

Active speakers: They have an amplifier built in. All of your cables plug directly into the speaker, and they even contain a volume knob usually. Example: JBL LSR305

Amplifier: A device that provides power, usually to passive speakers. Example: Emotiva monsters

Receiver: This is a very common device because it's most convenient. It includes built in amplifier to drive speakers. All of your cables usually plug directly into a device like this. Example: Entry level Yamaha

Processor: You can even get a "processor" or a "pre-amp," which lets you switch between inputs and processes the sound, but it does not amplify the sound to drive speakers. Example: Yamaha preamp

Thanks man :D I don't even need to do my homework now. I think I'll go with active speakers so I don't have to buy an amp or receiver lol

Edit: I did my homework anyway xD. what I meant was to get a powered speakers. not exactly "active" speaker. I wanted them compact and still give good sound! 

2 hours ago, Stagea said:

Something like this can work:

PSB Imagine XB

You can choose a good budget amp to drive them. If you don't plan on expanding your system, a 2 channel one can work.

Here's a traditional one:

Yamaha R-S201

These are examples of direct digital amps going down in price:

Direct Digital Amp

Direct Digital Amp 2

As previously mentioned, used amps and speakers can be a treat if you look well enough.

Thanks! I will look into them.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

@coltonpan what major city in California do you live nearby?

I live near Los Angeles. about 45 minutes away.

9 hours ago, coltonpan said:

Thanks man :D I don't even need to do my homework now. I think I'll go with active speakers so I don't have to buy an amp or receiver lol

Edit: I did my homework anyway xD. what I meant was to get a powered speakers. not exactly "active" speaker. I wanted them compact and still give good sound! 

Thanks! I will look into them.

Are you looking for studio monitors or consumer equipment? 

For compact consumer desktop speakers, here are some options:

Vanatoo

PSB

Focal

Boston Acoustics

Klipsch

Orb

12 hours ago, coltonpan said:

Bummer. I have some Klipsch bookshelf speakers up for sale on Craigslist. They are worlds better than the Companion.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Bummer. I have some Klipsch bookshelf speakers up for sale on Craigslist. They are worlds better than the Companion.

Aww, i would want thoes, but New York and California are kinda far away...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Aww, i would want thoes, but New York and California are kinda far away...

Like $40 for FedEx ground... not horrible. Meet you half way xD