Need help with case fan layout (Again, :( )

Afrasiyab
Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
4 minutes ago, Afrasiyab said:

@done12many2 So, I will get the filters.
Which fans should I make intake and which one as exhausts?

I'd keep the rear as exhaust since your CPU cooler naturally flows in the direction.  You can either convert both top fans to intake or keep one as exhaust and the other as intake.  I'd personally make both and intake and filter them.  With both of them as intakes, you could look into turning your side fan into an exhaust if you find that you don't have enough exhaust.  

So I just got the NZXT Lexa S black. My fan layout is as seen in the image:
(please ignore my drawing it was made using MS Paint lol)

I didn't buy the reference 290X, instead, I bought an MSI R9 390X 8GB. Now, what I'm confused about, is that the GPU expells air from the top and I have a 120MM Instake (on side panel) which blows air directly onto the GPU. Is it bad that GPU exhaust air from top and at the same time the fan blows air onto the top of the GPU?

If my current config is bad, please tell something that is ideal for my case. For good airflow and minimal dust buildup.

Help will be appreciated, thanks! xD

570ec443716cd_PClayout.PNG.684c51b58a12752f3553006c52161223.PNG

8 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

You will have negative airflow with this setup, I would put the top fans on the front if it is filtered

Only the front intake is filtered. Rest are not.
Also, do note that the side panel intake is not filtered either, which creates a lot of dust buildup on the GPU. So what say? What should I do ?
I can't mount any more fans on the case. Every mount is utilized.

You'll want to shift one or two fans to intake in order to increase case pressure to the positive.  If you ensure that all of the intakes are filtered, you have a lot less dust to mess with compared to your current setup.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

You'll want to shift one or two fans to intake in order to increase case pressure to the positive.  If you ensure that all of the intakes are filtered, you have a lot less dust to mess with compared to your current setup.

@done12many2 What should I do to make them filtered? The case only came with filter for the front fan. Rest are not filtered.

Just now, Afrasiyab said:

@done12many2 What should I do to make them filtered? The case only came with filter for the front fan. Rest are not filtered.

After looking up your case online I realize that you won't be able to move one or two of the top fans to the front of the case, but you can flip them over to reverse flow and then order an exterior magnet filter to put on the top of the case.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

After looking up your case online I realize that you won't be able to move one or two of the top fans to the front of the case, but you can flip them over to reverse flow and then order an exterior magnet filter to put on the top of the case.

Just now, done12many2 said:

I post this link to filters simply as an example.  Pick what works best for you, but definitely convert your fan configuration in order to go from negative to positive pressure.  You'll thank yourself in a few months.  :D

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=magnet+filter

I don't understand the terms negative/positive pressure properly.
Can you just tell me which fans I should switch to intake and which to exhausts?

4 minutes ago, Afrasiyab said:

I'd keep the rear as exhaust since your CPU cooler naturally flows in the direction.  You can either convert both top fans to intake or keep one as exhaust and the other as intake.  I'd personally make both and intake and filter them.  With both of them as intakes, you could look into turning your side fan into an exhaust if you find that you don't have enough exhaust.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Okay, thanks a lot man. :)

11 minutes ago, Afrasiyab said:

I don't understand the terms negative/positive pressure properly.

So with negative pressure, your case essentially acts like a low powered vacuum due to the higher volume of exhaust fans.  What ends up happening is that dust gets sucked into the case through all points of least resistance like unsealed gaps.  A negative pressure flow will result in a dusty setup within months.  A positive pressure system pushes air out of the same points of least resistance so dust build up is reduced.  The key thing with a positive setup is to ensure that ALL intake fans are filtered otherwise you are defeating the purpose.

Great looking setup.  Good luck!