LCD -3s

DeepFriedJif

Every year I try and save up enough to buy a big ticket iteam to further my set-up. Should these headphones (and the nessessary accesories; soundcard, DAC/UDAC) be my next purchas(s)? Are there other superior headphones? Also considering Sennheiser HD800s and Beyerdynamic T1s.

I would finish my liquid loop but with Haswell-E having octa core possiblities I do not want to start building the loop until I can get the new board and chip.

Build ATM (Please excuse mess, weekend and such):

post-601-0-20119400-1379888453.jpg

Build Specs ATM:

Intel 3930k

ASRock x79 Extreme 11

Nvidia GTX 780

Corsair H100i(4x Noctua NF-F12s)

G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz (16GB)

Silencer Mk II 950w

OCZ Agility 3 (256GB) - Previous drive died :(

WD Green (2TB)

Caselabs Magnum TH 10

Corsair k95

Razer Naga 2014

Sony MDR XB 1000 (Current Headphones)

May I please have an image signature?

Those are some expensive headphones, man. What I suggest is trying them out first with the music you like, different headphones have different sound and you might not like it. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

The general consciousness is that the LCD3 isn't worth the money. It's kind of like the HD 650/600. I've never tried the HD800's personally but the reviews state the same great elevated sennhesier sound. I prefer more "fun" headphones like the DT990's, which is probably why I gravitate towards the LCD2's. HD800's are much more neutral.

The LCD2's are my favorite headphone, they do everything right and nothing wrong.

Also on the note of an amp/DAC, don't be fooled into something stupid. The o2/ODAC is all you'll need for those headphones. Don't let someone try to sell you something that's $2000.

The only thing above the o2/ODAC that I would personally purchase is maybe the Dac1 pre, but at a $1000, it only has marginal increase in sound quality.

Those are some expensive headphones, man. What I suggest is trying them out first with the music you like, different headphones have different sound and you might not like it.

I have read up a great deal on all 3, but unfortunetly I can not take them home and give them a real, proper evaluation, all I have to go off are short demos and reviews.

Sorry for the double post, but yeah great computer looks nice. I would probably ditch the razer, but that's just me.

Also for the love of god do not buy a sound card for any $1000+ headphones.

The general consciousness is that the LCD3 isn't worth the money. It's kind of like the HD 650/600. I've never tried the HD800's personally but the reviews state the same great elevated sennhesier sound. I prefer more "fun" headphones like the DT990's, which is probably why I gravitate towards the LCD2's. HD800's are much more neutral.

The LCD2's are my favorite headphone, they do everything right and nothing wrong.

Also on the note of an amp/DAC, don't be fooled into something stupid. The o2/ODAC is all you'll need for those headphones. Don't let someone try to sell you something that's $2000.

The only thing above the o2/ODAC that I would personally purchase is maybe the Dac1 pre, but at a $1000, it only has marginal increase in sound quality.

I will look around at some local Headphone shops to see if anyone will let me do a side by side of the LCD 2 & 3s, if the diffrence is not there, which at almost a $1000s diffence it would really have to be there, I would buy the 2s instead.

I will look around at some local Headphone shops to see if anyone will let me do a side by side of the LCD 2 & 3s, if the diffrence is not there, which at almost a $1000s diffence it would really have to be there, I would buy the 2s instead.

There will be a difference, and the sound will be slightly better, but it's not worth $1000... you could almost buy both the LCD2' and HD800's for the same price.

I don't know all the restrictions on returns(some companies only allow 1, like schitt audio)

but from what I've read headphone.com has a fantastic 30 day return policy, so if you have it narrowed down,  you could buy 1 or 2 headphones, and just return the one you don't want.

and if you know what you want, they have their B-stock selection, which is where I bought my he-500's

but you can't return headphones from that section.

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-deals.php

I will say the sound difference in the higher end cans is no where near proportional to the price you pay.

I'd probably try a few lower end headphones ($200-400) to narrow down what you want first, instead of just dropping $2k blindly.(deafly?)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

There will be a difference, and the sound will be slightly better, but it's not worth $1000... you could almost buy both the LCD2' and HD800's for the same price.

I'd recommend looking at the HE-500 as well since it's pretty much the same thing for less and it's clamp force never bothered me.  It's just so silly over the $500 mark for most headphones, you start getting silly silver cables, wood accents and crap.  Don't start with me on those storage boxes they come in you have to throw in your closet and never use again.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I'd recommend looking at the HE-500 as well since it's pretty much the same thing for less and it's clamp force never bothered me.  It's just so silly over the $500 mark for most headphones, you start getting silly silver cables, wood accents and crap.  Don't start with me on those storage boxes they come in you have to throw in your closet and never use again.

I do kind of like the presentation box they have...

The storage box is kind of nice for shipping, that's about it. 

I do kind of like the presentation box they have...

The storage box is kind of nice for shipping, that's about it. 

It's made of paper thin wood and cheap Styrofoam.  It's a f*%^ing joke.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Thanks for everyones' input. I would like to add that I am not exactly going into this purchas blind. I am no expert but I do browse headphone forums and sites and read my fair share of reviews. I know that I am seeking cans that are well pass the normal suggested price to proformance curve but as you can tell from my other componants, that is exactly what I have been aiming for in this build/set-up. It has taken my a good while to compile the parts on this list in its' entirety simply because I want the best of enthusast hardware without just going for strait e-pen and bragging rights(Hence no 3970x or Titan). I really am seeking the best of the best, but adivce like MayflowerElectronics has provided, for example to stay away from the 3970x of the headphone world, aka the LCD 3s, and get the LCD 2s is exactly why I posed the question here.