How good is dbrand really?

ChickenCake248

Hello, I recently purchased a new phone and, as always, I don't enjoy risking getting it scratched or broken. Are dbrand skins more than just thin stickers that make your phone look really cool? Will the skins give any protection other than scratch protection? If I drop my phone, will the skin do anything to protect it?

It does about as much as you can expect a thin membrane to do. They're not magic, so they're not going to offer much in the way of impact protection. A full case is what you'd want for that sort of protection. 

For me, the deal breaker was when I wanted to subsequently remove the skin. I am not sure if the blame can be wholly attributed to their skin, but it did mar the back of my phone quite badly. This was the full body skin which I never did manage to apply perfectly, so I guess my personal threshold is those back-only skins. 

I guess heat heat (from the hairdryer) just doesn't play well with anodized metal. 

image.jpeg

meh. Everyone and their mom recommends them. My problem is that they make the device feel cheap. I use an iPhone and have a leather case for it. With the dbrands skin you touch textured plastic. The leather case gives a nice luxurious grippy feel to it that changes color and develops a patina over time. Or I can take the case off and use the phone bare metal. Both feel more premium than the cheap feel dbrands gives. 

That and it took a month and a half to get my skin shipped to me in Connecticut. For reference, if I order something from Amazon with their regular economy whatever the cheapest is, it only takes a week. 

On 30/04/2016 at 2:51 AM, abazigal said:

-snip-

What as always kept me aprehensive from getting a dbrand skin for whatever high end phone i may have, is that im afraid to use the hair dryer, for a unintended period of time or heat level that while for me may sound adequate, but may damage the adhesive inside the phone, making it much less impactful resistant. Seriously, they should develop and allow you to order a corrected temperature spreader, to prevent internal damage...

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

What as always kept me aprehensive from getting a dbrand skin for whatever high end phone i may have, is that im afraid to use the hair dryer, for a unintended period of time or heat level that while for me may sound adequate, but may damage the adhesive inside the phone, making it much less impactful resistant. Seriously, they should develop and allow you to order a corrected temperature spreader, to prevent internal damage...

Now you make me feel worried about the internals of my iPhone. Crossing my fingers that I didn't accidentally fry any of the innards or something...

9 hours ago, abazigal said:

-snip-

Oh well, sorry about that :p. But yeah, while Dbrand may look and feel great and offer great costumer service and product quality, unless you a have a decently prepared hair dryer, not like the ones you purchase on a chinese eletronics store that simply works at max heat output and doesnt offer manual modes or eletrical power usage, and may cause eletrical shortage on the house after 10 minutes of use :O, you could probably soften the glue and stickers around the frame and connecting the display layers and on extreme cases, the plastic inside of the phone or the friggin battery, which is simply why i see Dbrand as a risk to apply (not because of them tough) and therefore to mitigate damage, made to your phone, they offer cool pricing and tutorials. It always surprises me how in theyr phone tutorials, they never show a recommended brand of dryers or heat gunning applied methods, to sticking the vinyl skin on your phone. In my opinion, i wouldnt start using Dbrand things, on a 600€+ phone xp, therefore, i cant do it. Would start with a mid tier phone, and if it was still good to go, then id apply it on an expensive phone ehe.

Groomlake Authority