Is the 4k worth it over bigger sensor?

Hi I am a photographer and videographer and I was wondering whether getting a Panasonic g7 is worth the 4k over something like a canon 760D with its bigger sensor? Bare in mind prices of lenses as I don't have that much money. I also want to focus on video over photos!

4k might be worth it if you wanna downscale the final video or photo as most people wont watch a video or see a picture in 4k xD.

But yea my suggestion is the 4k camera is worth it as well its 4k! xD

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

It's a matter of personal preference.

Also, when it comes to a comparison of 1080p and 4K, the general rule of thumb is that 4K requires approximately four times more resources to work with.

• uses up memory cards four times faster
  • requires four times more storage space
  • editing and rendering times can be four times longer
  • requires more computer processing power
  • mistakes are more noticeable
  • it's less forgiving

So unless you have the capacity to work with 4K footage, avoid it or prepare to invest in all that extra necessary accessories, software, hardware and support that goes beyond a camera and lens.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Now as for the comparison of different sensor sizes, figure out what you need and what you want to do.  There are tons of articles on the web (including some brief stuff I mention in my guides, see my signature) that explains what the trade off and gains are regarding your choice of a sensor size.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Do you have the resources to produce 4k content? I don't know about the camera side of things, but when it comes to storage, processing, editing, and rendering, 4k is a hog.

40 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Do you have the resources to produce 4k content? I don't know about the camera side of things, but when it comes to storage, processing, editing, and rendering, 4k is a hog.

If you work with proxies it is not a big deal.

1 minute ago, .spider. said:

If you work with proxies it is not a big deal.

I understand. That's how I used to edit 1080p video on my 2009 MacBook pro- using 360p/480p proxies or 'offline editing'. However, that only makes editing easier. Rendering will still take an insanely long time, and he'll still need lots of space to store the raw 4k footage and rendered 4k videos, as well as enough CPU horsepower to process it- and create lower-resolution proxies. 

Alternatively, he could transcode his footage to the format the GoPro uses, much like Linus did in his 4k Ultrabook editing video. However, the transcoding itself takes some time, and Linus had to transcode the footage on another computer- which had an overclocked 5960x and a GTX Titan X; it doesn't get much higher-end than that.

The render times in 4k is insanly slow. So yea, if you don't have a good enough pc to edit on I wouldn't go 4k. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"