Cpu troubleshooting

So my new pc build is stuck in a bootloop and I've ruled out that the psu and ram are not faulty. The problem is in the motherboard or cpu. If the cpu was dead, would any fans spin up? I still get beep codes and the fans spin for 5 seconds before cutting out and restarting. If the cpu was dead would I get any sign of life? Many thanks for any replies :)

A few random Trouble shooting points i need to cover

Is the CPU power plugged in?

have you tried clearing CMOS/Bios settings?

have you tried with one stick of ram

have you tried with barebones hardware? (with just CPU and 1 stick of RAM)

and in general if the CPU was dead, then you would likely not get anything other than the post code (or beeps) stating there is no CPU connected

also in general, Motherboards do have much higher Dead on Arrival rates than CPU's

10 minutes ago, ozz.yyy said:

So my new pc build is stuck in a bootloop and I've ruled out that the psu and ram are not faulty. The problem is in the motherboard or cpu. If the cpu was dead, would any fans spin up? I still get beep codes and the fans spin for 5 seconds before cutting out and restarting. If the cpu was dead would I get any sign of life? Many thanks for any replies :)

dont think so. certainly no beep or any sign of life except for power top fans amd stuff. 

on bootloop normally the mobo is the problem. if your lucky it just needs a new bios update but it could be more serous though. either way if you dont have a different cpu send it back. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

53 minutes ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

A few random Trouble shooting points i need to cover

Is the CPU power plugged in?

have you tried clearing CMOS/Bios settings?

have you tried with one stick of ram

have you tried with barebones hardware? (with just CPU and 1 stick of RAM)

and in general if the CPU was dead, then you would likely not get anything other than the post code (or beeps) stating there is no CPU connected

also in general, Motherboards do have much higher Dead on Arrival rates than CPU's

I've tried all of those options :(

54 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

dont think so. certainly no beep or any sign of life except for power top fans amd stuff. 

on bootloop normally the mobo is the problem. if your lucky it just needs a new bios update but it could be more serous though. either way if you dont have a different cpu send it back. 

Ok, thank you :) I think I will go to the local electronics store and see if the have a test bench I can try it on 

58 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

How can I update the bios? It won't post so I have no internet connection 

34 minutes ago, ozz.yyy said:

How can I update the bios? It won't post so I have no internet connection 

with a different cpu. sometimes older bios versions dont support newer cpu's. but if you dont have one send the mobo back. they will put a new one on it if there are no mechanical problems. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.