Is it worth it to upgrade to an i5 or i7 from an FX-8350 for gaming?

Hello, right now I have an FX-8350 on my mid-budget build and I'm planning to upgrade for my birthday coming soon to either an i5 or an i7 is the boost for gaming worth it or should I get a new gpu instead I have a r9 280 right now

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mXYY6h

Thank you for your time

My budget is under $500

Just now, GRINDFEST said:

Hello, right now I have an FX-8350 on my mid-budget build and I'm planning to upgrade for my birthday coming soon to either an i5 or an i7 is the boost for gaming worth it or should I get a new gpu instead I have a r9 280 right now

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mXYY6h

Thank you for your time

My budget is under $500

Absolutely. 

I went to a 4690k from an 8320, and yes, it is absolutely worth it. 

i7 4790k and a motherboard will be your best bet, you can reuse RAM and it is cheaper than Skylake. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Just now, itzallama said:

its so worth is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-FX-8350 thats the i5 6600K vs your cpu theyre relatively cheap youd need to source a motherboard with a socket that supports it which isnt too hard

STOP. NO. HOLD THE PHONE. 

CPUBoss is NOT trustworthy for their rating system. it can be used to compare specs only. 

those numbers at the top mean nothing. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

cpu boss is a general spec as far a performance specs go it is relatively reliable and i have had no problems in the past with it an its been on the mark or not far off with my builds an upgrades

On 4/28/2016 at 7:43 PM, Stardar1 said:

STOP. NO. HOLD THE PHONE. 

CPUBoss is NOT trustworthy for their rating system. it can be used to compare specs only. 

those numbers at the top mean nothing. 

CPUBoss does have some useful numbers beyond specs. Not everything on the website is useless. 

Whether an i5/i7 upgrade is worth it depends on how well your current cpu is performing for what you're doing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So is the performance gap between i5 and i7 great enough for gaming to upgrade to an i7 or can I just get an i5 and get some additional stuff with the savings?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

CPUBoss does have some useful numbers beyond specs. Not everything on the website is useless. 

Whether an i5/i7 upgrade is worth it depends on how well your current cpu is performing for what you're doing. 

Benchmarks too, but their rating systems are completely off. 

Solitaire. 

On 4/28/2016 at 7:48 PM, GRINDFEST said:

So is the performance gap between i5 and i7 great enough for gaming to upgrade to an i7 or can I just get an i5 and get some additional stuff with the savings?

It depends on how much you have to spend and what kind of games you're playing. For most people, an i5 is plenty. 

On 4/28/2016 at 7:49 PM, Stardar1 said:

Benchmarks too, but their rating systems are completely off. 

Ditto. I prefer how userbenchmark compares things much more. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Exactly how big is the difference? Is it marginal or noticeable in games like GTA V and such? 

If your just gaming stay with that CPU and go with a better GPU. You will get more fps out of a better GPU than a CPU. I have a i7-4790k and a GTX 970 if I knew what I know now I would have went with a cheap AMD 8350 or a i5 the i7 in game really hasn't give me maybe 5 fps. Save a little more and get a 980ti or wait till the new pascal comes out and the 980ti price will drop and get it then.

1 minute ago, ChiefGunny said:

If your just gaming stay with that CPU and go with a better GPU. You will get more fps out of a better GPU than a CPU. I have a i7-4790k and a GTX 970 if I knew what I know now I would have went with a cheap AMD 8350 or a i5 the i7 in game really hasn't give me maybe 5 fps. Save a little more and get a 980ti or wait till the new pascal comes out and the 980ti price will drop and get it then.

Ah man I think steam will brainwash and compel me with their summer sale :( I can try though I don't get an allowance during summer and I can't get a part-time job, hoping for paid internships

2 minutes ago, GRINDFEST said:

Ah man I think steam will brainwash and compel me with their summer sale :( I can try though I don't get an allowance during summer and I can't get a part-time job, hoping for paid internships

They are plenty of videos on youtube that compare the 8350 to a 4790k fps in games like GTA 5 and almost all Triple a titles.

1 minute ago, ChiefGunny said:

They are plenty of videos on youtube that compare the 8350 to a 4790k fps in games like GTA 5 and almost all Triple a titles.

Ok good to know to be honest I only watch LTT since its popular

8 minutes ago, GRINDFEST said:

Exactly how big is the difference? Is it marginal or noticeable in games like GTA V and such? 

Well I went from a i5 760 to a i7 3770k and the diffrence was that all the graphics settings went from medium to high to very high and i had 60fps.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, GRINDFEST said:

Ok good to know to be honest I only watch LTT since its popular

lol I watch all their vids lol

I have an i5 4670 non K, and r9 390. I max out almost everything. Since i only game i5 is plent of power for me