Help Choosing Case

PCTechNoob

So after a lot of research I have come here to ask about choosing a case for my new PC build.

Is it better to go with a cheap case such as the BitFenix Nova and add a couple of fans or is it better to spend more on a case?

I don't think very expencive cases are worth it as the case does not affect the performance of the PC itself. But how much do you recommend I spend on the case?

I am not building a super budget build, the parts inside I hope to be actually mid to high end, I just want to save money where I can.

Also, which cases would you recommend. I like plane cases similar to the NZXT S340, but I cannot stand glossy black and so it needs to be matte black or some other sort of material.

Thanks to anyone who helps me with this.

I would recommend the Define R5/Define S or a Corsair 450D; having used them all, they're nice to build in and don't have that ugly "gamer" aesthetic. 

Just my personal preferences. :P

"If in doubt, flat out."

when you pay more you get some features that help building and better looks, that's about it.

Define S is imho the best practical midtower on the market, and even if you disagree with the overall statement, it's quality and value cannot be denied.

Also I do quite like the 400C although both the 400C and 600C are a bit louder than I'd like (being 100% absent of sound dampening material.)

Top tier cases south of 120 dollars (above that huge diminishing returns on investment)):

With 5.25 Drive:

Define R5

Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Mastercase Pro 5

Without 5.25 Drive:

H440

Define S (The cheapest on this list while still being arguably the easiest to build a clean system in.)

400C

600C

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

what format/size of case?

I like the thermaltake core v21 for mATX and core x9 for full/e-atx.

I buy a case to hopefully make use ofthe features it has, and to maybe re-use the case in future builds.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini