Painting keycaps

VoyexTech

I recently bought some keycaps from WASD Keyboards and they come with a uv coating on them. The problem is that they don't have a spacebar that will fit my Logitech G610 so I want to paint my keycap matte black and then add a uv finish to complete it. Does anyone know of a way I could do this? And would this result in a sticky/tacky spacebar? If you have any ideas PLEASE tell me. Thank you!

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

I recently bought some keycaps from WASD Keyboards and they come with a uv coating on them. The problem is that they don't have a spacebar that will fit my Logitech G610 so I want to paint my keycap matte black and then add a uv finish to complete it. Does anyone know of a way I could do this? And would this result in a sticky/tacky spacebar? If you have any ideas PLEASE tell me. Thank you!

Ideally it's best to not paint keycaps as they can wear down but it's still doable, I would recommend to clear coat them with a matte or stain finish to ensure the paint doesn't easily dis-color by picking up dirty of wear off as easily.

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ideally it's best to not paint keycaps as they can wear down but it's still doable, I would recommend to clear coat them with a matte or stain finish to ensure the paint doesn't easily dis-color by picking up dirty of wear off as easily.

OK is it possible to add a uv coating to keycaps? What should I use? 

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

My PC:

Spoiler

OK is it possible to add a uv coating to keycaps? What should I use? 

UV coatings are mainly for the lettering giving it a very slight raised portion or gloss to them, for painting the clear coat will basically protect it from easily wearing through but since it's the spacebar it will not have any lettering. 

Ok what is the best shiny finish that you would recommend I use for the keycaps?

My PC:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

Ok what is the best shiny finish that you would recommend I use for the keycaps?

If you want spray paint wise going for a high gloss clear coat may be the best to give it that shiny finish just note it might have some minor orange peel texture as spray paint always tends to have. 

Just one thing to note is are you going for a stealth or blank keycap type look cause they do have those available as replacement keycap sets.

2 hours ago, W-L said:

If you want spray paint wise going for a high gloss clear coat may be the best to give it that shiny finish just note it might have some minor orange peel texture as spray paint always tends to have. 

Just one thing to note is are you going for a stealth or blank keycap type look cause they do have those available as replacement keycap sets.

I am going for a stealth look but my problem is that the spacebar same is smaller than average so I can't use replacement keycaps.

Here is a picture of the look I am trying to replicate:

14617241468831553489579.jpg

Spacebar is still oem that is why I want to change it

My PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

-SNIP-

Ah I see some kind of non standard size, just a thought have you consider vinyl wrapping the space bar since it's just a single keycap it shouldn't be too hard. It also won't have the potential of wearing out easily like paint. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ah I see some kind of non standard size, just a thought have you consider vinyl wrapping the space bar since it's just a single keycap it shouldn't be too hard. It also won't have the potential of wearing out easily like paint. 

Yes but I don't want to do that for a few reasons. I know I have already asked this but WASD Keyboards (who I got the keycaps from) puts a uv layer on their keycaps fo make them last longer is there any way I could add my own uv coating to these keycaps kind of like what WASD did?

My PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

Yes but I don't want to do that for a few reasons. I know I have already asked this but WASD Keyboards (who I got the keycaps from) puts a uv layer on their keycaps fo make them last longer is there any way I could add my own uv coating to these keycaps kind of like what WASD did?

The coating they put is just a type of paint that mainly gives it that texture nothing too much more unless there is text where it can protect the lettering. There aren't UV coatings readily available out there and personally I don't see much gain from coating that single key cap as it will be blank. 

Just now, W-L said:

The coating they put is just a type of paint that give it that texture really nothing too much more unless there is text where it can protect the lettering. There aren't UV coatings readily available out there and personally I don't see much gain from coating that single key cap as it will be blank. 

OK thank you! Do you know of any high gloss clear coats that I should buy in particular? Or should I just get any one?

My PC:

Spoiler

OK thank you! Do you know of any high gloss clear coats that I should buy in particular? Or should I just get any one?

For gloss the automotive stuff will be your best bet in terms of durability and quality as it has all the proper stuff to prevent yellowing, Duplicolor is a good automotive paint brand. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

For gloss the automotive stuff will be your best bet in terms of durability and quality as it has all the proper stuff to prevent yellowing, Duplicolor is a good automotive paint brand. 

OK Thank you! for all the help over the last few hours

My PC:

Spoiler