Installing an ssd

lior1111

I know the linus video on the subject, just hear me out please, i have an hdd plugged in to the mobo right now. I just got an ssd and plugged it. Im gonna put the windows in a flash drive,  install it. Can i somehow through the windows installation, format the hdd? Or even let the files stay? Doesnt really matter cause i backed the important stuff  up. 

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

I know the linus video on the subject, just hear me out please, i have an hdd plugged in to the mobo right now. I just got an ssd and plugged it. Im gonna put the windows in a flash drive,  install it. Can i somehow through the windows installation, format the hdd? Or even let the files stay? Doesnt really matter cause i backed the important stuff  up. 

Thanks. 

What windows are you installing?

you can choose custom during the installation and do it from there AFAIK

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I believe you have the option to format drives when you're selecting the drive to install Windows on. If you're installing Windows on the SSD, then just install it, boot up, then format the HDD through Windows running off the SSD. 

If you just install Windows on the SSD, the HDD won't be affected. 

EDIT: You'll want to have the SSD as the first boot drive in the BIOS if you do leave the HDD with Windows on, or the system will boot from the HDD. 

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I believe you have the option to format drives when you're selecting the drive to install Windows on. If you're installing Windows on the SSD, then just install it, boot up, then format the HDD through Windows running off the SSD. 

If you just install Windows on the SSD, the HDD won't be affected. 

EDIT: You'll want to have the SSD as the first boot drive in the BIOS if you do leave the HDD with Windows on, or the system will boot from the HDD. 

Thanks m8, you might be able to help me with this one last thing? 

I cant figure out where to connect this : (picture added to the comment) 

It seems like its a usb 3.0 connector but i cannot plug it in the usb plug,  its completely blocked by the gpu, should i give up on it or connect it to one of those? (another picture added) 

Cant connect it to the usb 3.0 plug as you can see in the manual with the third picture added,  so can i plug it to any of the bottom plugs? 

1461621796172730263782.jpg

1461621818792-1435878173.jpg

1461621885514557077487.jpg

2 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

It seems like its a usb 3.0 connector but i cannot plug it in the usb plug,  its completely blocked by the gpu, should i give up on it or connect it to one of those? (another picture added) 

Cant connect it to the usb 3.0 plug as you can see in the manual with the third picture added,  so can i plug it to any of the bottom plugs? 

1461621796172730263782.jpg

1461621818792-1435878173.jpg

1461621885514557077487.jpg

Looks like your motherboard doesn't support usb 3. Just have to leave the wire at the back somewhere

3 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

Can you plug it in to JUSB3? If not, you probably don't have a USB 3.0 port on that MOBO

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Can you plug it in to JUSB3? If not, you probably don't have a USB 3.0 port on that MOBO

I cant, gpu is blocking it,  i guess ill pass on the usb 3,  i have too many of those aleardy,  just sucks though