Work plans

Burz

Hello.

I have been planning, for a while now, to start a very vague business plan, almost a hobby at the start, but it might become serious work if I succeed.

The plan is to build PC's sort of the way that Free Geek does it, but on a one-person scale. I have a few friends who have outdated/broken set ups and are willing to give/sell them to me for cheap, plus my mother is a teacher and the school she works at just happened to receive a load of computer parts from a company that closed down.

I plan to start small, selling the computers for as low as I can, and getting small profit each time to make my budget slowly grow. If that worked, at some point I would be getting more money than I spend on hardware/OS and use that extra money for myself.

1. Budget & Location

For now, I have no real budget. I do plan to get as much stuff for free as I can. I might have to spend 100 dollars or so on my first computer (I am guessing) because of the OS or some other stuff, but I am hoping to keep it as low as possible.

I live in Uruguay, and usually imported products are expensive (Say, the headset I have, I bought it in a trip to the US for 40 dollars on bestbuy. Here, it costs 100.) But I have been helping this PC repair/selling store and the owner is willing to help me out by getting me contacts with the importing companies and stuff.

2. Aim

I plan to make my first PC focus on web browsing, which is what average people do mostly nowadays. That means (From my limited knowledge for lack of experience) that I will need some RAM power, and connection speed capabilities, but I am willing to listen to anyone who knows better than me.

3. Monitors/4. Peripherals

I haven't yet decided if I want to sell a full package or just a tower, so I will leave that up to whatever ends up happening lol.

One thing to take into account is that, since it's a business, people might want warranty on the products, and that I cannot give. But I might be able to make good deals if they are willing to give it up lol.

"Anything that could one day be is as real as what I'm saying
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way"

-John Frusciante

2 minutes ago, Burz said:

Hello.

I have been planning, for a while now, to start a very vague business plan, almost a hobby at the start, but it might become serious work if I succeed.

The plan is to build PC's sort of the way that Free Geek does it, but on a one-person scale. I have a few friends who have outdated/broken set ups and are willing to give/sell them to me for cheap, plus my mother is a teacher and the school she works at just happened to receive a load of computer parts from a company that closed down.

I plan to start small, selling the computers for as low as I can, and getting small profit each time to make my budget slowly grow. If that worked, at some point I would be getting more money than I spend on hardware/OS and use that extra money for myself.

1. Budget & Location

For now, I have no real budget. I do plan to get as much stuff for free as I can. I might have to spend 100 dollars or so on my first computer (I am guessing) because of the OS or some other stuff, but I am hoping to keep it as low as possible.

I live in Uruguay, and usually imported products are expensive (Say, the headset I have, I bought it in a trip to the US for 40 dollars on bestbuy. Here, it costs 100.) But I have been helping this PC repair/selling store and the owner is willing to help me out by getting me contacts with the importing companies and stuff.

2. Aim

I plan to make my first PC focus on web browsing, which is what average people do mostly nowadays. That means (From my limited knowledge for lack of experience) that I will need some RAM power, and connection speed capabilities, but I am willing to listen to anyone who knows better than me.

3. Monitors/4. Peripherals

I haven't yet decided if I want to sell a full package or just a tower, so I will leave that up to whatever ends up happening lol.

One thing to take into account is that, since it's a business, people might want warranty on the products, and that I cannot give. But I might be able to make good deals if they are willing to give it up lol.

TO be honest just sell the tower, so many people don't understand enough stuff about monitors that it's just going to be too much trouble. Since your ion Uruguay you won't have that much competition, should give you room to grow, which is good.

3 minutes ago, Flowey said:

TO be honest just sell the tower, so many people don't understand enough stuff about monitors that it's just going to be too much trouble. Since your ion Uruguay you won't have that much competition, should give you room to grow, which is good.

Yep that's my main advantage, the lack of competition.

-John Frusciante

as said linus (or maybe jayz2cents, or both), if you don't know what to do for your business and how to do it, you're not ready. As a hobby though, you can do it, but don't expect a lot (any?) money out of it.

3 minutes ago, DarkRuskov said:

as said linus (or maybe jayz2cents, or both), if you don't know what to do for your business and how to do it, you're not ready. As a hobby though, you can do it, but don't expect a lot (any?) money out of it.

I am not expecting any money out of it :) Profit? Yes, but as capital, not money. Just sort of, say, sell it for 10 bucks more than I spent. And with those 10 bucks go for something slightly better, and maybe sell it for 15 extra, and so on. It would not make much difference at the start, and I am sure as hell doing this as a hobby, but it does show some promise for the future if  I can pull it off at least once.

-John Frusciante