Laptop wifi/Ethernet no longer works

scruffy0402

I was using my laptop and decided to try using an Ethernet cord for the first time. After 20 minutes the Ethernet stopped working so I tried using wifi and now neither work. When I try to connect to any network it says cannot connect, even when there is no password etc. Windows just says nothing when I try to repair it. I tired reinstalling the drivers but it still doesn't work. =( 

it may be you will have to completely reinstall windows.

Or to do some test, you could install a version Linux on a flash drive and run off that and do some test to see if it works then. If it does then it is the windows/drivers. If it still does not work it is hardware related.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

2 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Or to do some test, you could install a version Linux on a flash drive and run off that and do some test to see if it works then. If it does then it is the windows/drivers. If it still does not work it is hardware related.

I have a lot of important files on here and it would take a while to backup, can't i just buy a USB network card? 

1 minute ago, scruffy0402 said:

I have a lot of important files on here and it would take a while to backup, can't i just buy a USB network card? 

worth a try but it might not solve it. But it would prove if it was hardware or software, same as running a linux os of a flash drive (would not do anything with the windows).

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

worth a try but it might not solve it. But it would prove if it was hardware or software, same as running a linux os of a flash drive (would not do anything with the windows).

Going to try it on Ubuntu, and if that doesn't work I will try a USB network card. Hopefully I don't have to reinstall windows

Just now, TechFnatic said:

This may be a problem caused by a recent windows update

It was working fine until i plugged in the Ethernet, do you have a link to the update that could have caused the problem? I haven't installed any updates recently :/

1 hour ago, mcraftax said:

It shows up on Ubuntu but it doesn't actually work. I think the drivers might not be working properly =(

11 hours ago, scruffy0402 said:

It shows up on Ubuntu but it doesn't actually work. I think the drivers might not be working properly =(

see if that works but if it does not it might be best to try a usb card/stick

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

My old asus laptop had an similar issue.

Not sure how I got the wifi working, I think I just kept installing older drivers.

In order for the ethernet to work I had to delete it from device manager while the cable was plugged in and let windows reinstall the drivers in order to get it to connect.

On 24/04/2016 at 7:12 AM, niccaa23 said:

My old asus laptop had an similar issue.

Not sure how I got the wifi working, I think I just kept installing older drivers.

In order for the ethernet to work I had to delete it from device manager while the cable was plugged in and let windows reinstall the drivers in order to get it to connect.

It somehow fixed itself after around the 10th restart after nothing worked in Ubuntu. I have no idea how it happened, but at least it's fixed :)