Need help with stock intel cooler

Ferrariguy121

I had a system builder build my system for me and they put old thermal paste on. So i tried to change the thermal paste so i did. I then removed my stock cooler and changed my thermal paste. I think i did it wrong first time putting on thermal paste. When i booted my pc and my 4770k hit about 50C idle in the bios so i took the cooler off and reapplied the thermal paste. then i was not able to reinstall the stock cooler the pins refuse to go in ps i did rotate the twist thing to the arrows pointing away from the cooler just ask if i should post a photo of the pins any help will be appreciated. Stefan

step:

1) remove the cooler

2) clean the old paste on the cpu and cooler with tissue

3) polish the cpu and cooler with coffee filter/lint free cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol (90% or above preferred)

4) apply a line/dot of thermal paste on the cpu, look up the internet to see exactly how much

5) rotate the arms on the stock cooler anti-clockwise to free the lock and pull them up, then rotate it clockwise to lock it back in

6) place the cooler onto the cpu, making sure nothing is caught in between, except the thermal paste (the cable especially)

7) support the back of the motherboard, and push the pin down firmly until you hear a click, do this for all corners, and do the opposite corners first, dont do it in a clockwise or anti-clockwise manner as this might spread the thermal paste unevenly underneath

edit: for step 5, as long as there isnt a thing poking out in between the locks at the bottom, its unlocked

picture of the feet without the pin in between:

Spoiler

Untitled.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I don't have isopropyl alcohol or coffie filters what should i use? 

The legs unlock when turned counterclockwise and lock in the other direction.

Make sure the tabs are all the way through and expand when installed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.