Looking for GPU recommendation

Aether176

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my workspace in a major way and I'm looking for some help with regards to which GPU I should buy.

I recently purchased an LG 34UC88 ultrawide monitor (3440x1440 resolution) and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I also have, from my previous setup, two 24-inch 1080p screens. My plan is to have a triple monitor setup with the ultrawide in the middle and the two others on the sides.

Obviously this adds up to lots of pixels needing to be pushed, but I'm not sure what I need in terms of graphics cards. Right now I have nothing - I'm only using my laptop with Intel HD graphics. But luckily that laptop is the Razer Blade Stealth, so I'm going to be purchasing my first GPU alongside the Razer Core to power this setup.

I'm no gamer - pretty much every game I play is on a Nintendo console instead of on the PC. So this setup is more for productivity. The only thing I might want to do in terms of gaming is emulation. It would be lovely to be able to emulate games, and I'd only want to do that on one screen. I'm not looking to play the latest AAA games in surround, so I'm probably not someone who needs the absolute highest-end GPU. I just don't know where to start.

Should I get NVidia or AMD? I'm thinking AMD since this is a freesync monitor, but again, I'm probablynot likely to use that feature anyway. How high end of a GPU should I get? Should I buy current gen now or wait until the next gen is released?

All help is appreciated!

You'll definitely want to use the Free sync feature because that will make your games smoother than ever before. I'd recommend the r9 380 because it's a quality good price to performance GPU that will max out your interested titles and be awesome for productivity.. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

I would think that the integrated would be fine for this. If not the 380 will do just great (and the core is hell overpriced)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

5 minutes ago, Aether176 said:

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my workspace in a major way and I'm looking for some help with regards to which GPU I should buy.

I recently purchased an LG 34UC88 ultrawide monitor (3440x1440 resolution) and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I also have, from my previous setup, two 24-inch 1080p screens. My plan is to have a triple monitor setup with the ultrawide in the middle and the two others on the sides.

Obviously this adds up to lots of pixels needing to be pushed, but I'm not sure what I need in terms of graphics cards. Right now I have nothing - I'm only using my laptop with Intel HD graphics. But luckily that laptop is the Razer Blade Stealth, so I'm going to be purchasing my first GPU alongside the Razer Core to power this setup.

I'm no gamer - pretty much every game I play is on a Nintendo console instead of on the PC. So this setup is more for productivity. The only thing I might want to do in terms of gaming is emulation. It would be lovely to be able to emulate games (NES all the way up to Wii), and I'd only want to do that on one screen. I'm not looking to play the latest AAA games in surround, so I'm probably not someone who needs the absolute highest-end GPU. I just don't know where to start.

Should I get NVidia or AMD? I'm thinking AMD since this is a freesync monitor, but again, I'm probablynot likely to use that feature anyway. How high end of a GPU should I get? Should I buy current gen now or wait until the next gen is released?

All help is appreciated!

woah, thats a lot of pixels,

notheless you have a 4k monitor (equivalent) and two 1080p monitors.

2 minutes ago, afyeung said:

I'd recommend the r9 380 because it's a quality good price to performance GPU that will max out your interested titles and be awesome for productivity.. 

for 3 monitors, aaaaaaaaayyee, ok. 

I hope he's not playing "max" on that card... 

Just now, josephaltareb said:

I'm no gamer - pretty much every game I play is on a Nintendo console instead of on the PC. So this setup is more for productivity. The only thing I might want to do in terms of gaming is emulation. It would be lovely to be able to emulate games (NES all the way up to Wii), and I'd only want to do that on one screen. I'm not looking to play the latest AAA games in surround, so I'm probably not someone who needs the absolute highest-end GPU. I just don't know where to start.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, josephaltareb said:

He literally said nintendo lol

Just now, thekeemo said:

and???

damn . still. pixels

Just now, afyeung said:

He literally said nintendo lol

i get it, but still. damn.

Just now, josephaltareb said:

and???

damn . still. pixels

He said he is not gaming.. so why were you asking about it.

What budget do you have? Also since it's in the Razer Core, I'd look into something Nvidia since they run a bit cooler and quieter and use a bit less power. Slightly more expensive for the same performance though. (You also get added benefit of technologies like Shadowplay and such). I would recommend a GTX 960 or even 950. Since you mentioned you are just emulating, this should be about enough. OR alternatively, you can try waiting for Polaris GPUs since they are supposedly super super power efficient and performance to watt is amazing...

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

1 minute ago, josephaltareb said:

and???

damn . still. pixels

Even a laptop could drive it with the right ports. It's a bit more than 4K but most cards can output 4K

11 minutes ago, Aether176 said:

Hi all,

All help is appreciated!

R9 390 for best price to performance ratio. Otherwise go with the R9 Fury (non x)

well i dont see much of a reason to get a gpu just for emulation

maybe an r9 380 like everyone suggested

but if you can wait then maybe zen will offer better performance for much lower wattage, which is suitable for the core

but really just buy a displayport or hdmi hub and power it with igpu, because the core + mid-range gpu = price of a flagship card `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately