USB 3.1 demo shows new spec well on its way towards 1.2GB/sec goal

xXxYOLOxSWAGxXx_420BlazeIt

At CES this January, Jeff Ravencraft, the president and chief operating officer of the USB Implementers Forum USB-IF), told The Reg that the unfortunately named "SuperSpeed" USB 3.0 would double its throughput from 5Gb/sec to 10Gb/sec in its 3.1 incarnation. We recently sat down with him again and saw it in action.

The demo was conducted using a Fresco Logic–developed, FPGA-based, USB 3.1 prototype controller board connected not to a storage device, but to DDR memory. Why not an SSD? "Because there are no solid-state drives that are at that level yet," Ravencraft explained.

With this setup running the ATTO Disk Benchmark, USB 3.1 transmitted large packets at up to 900MB/sec – and this using a spec that was just released in July.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/21/usb_3_point_one_demo_shows_impressive_performance/

why not call it usb 4.0?

Maybe it's just another speed bump and it isn't that significant. 2x compared to previous 2.0 to 3.0 improvement that was over 10x speed improvement.

why not call it usb 4.0?

because the jump beetwen 2.0 and 3.0 added 5 pins to the connector, which is not the case this time. at least i think.

because the jump beetwen 2.0 and 3.0 added 5 pins to the connector, which is not the case this time. at least i think.

Maybe it's just another speed bump and it isn't that significant. 2x compared to previous 2.0 to 3.0 improvement that was over 10x speed improvement.

Okay so it seems to be a combination of both points, i see now, thanks for your clarification.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------