EMI with asus xonar stx

leo

Hello so recently I started using my new pair of headphone ( V-moda m100 ) 

with my asus xonar stx , I noticed a almost constant buzzing noise will in-game , I do no hear the buzzing noise will using my receiver and speaker. 

Im thinking it might be EMI but not sure.

Anyone have an idea how to fix the buzzing noise ?

I spent 200$ on a sound card not to buy another one :/

Isnt there a way to reduce noise without buying a whole new setup ?

I spent 200$ on a sound card not to buy another one :/

Isnt there a way to reduce noise without buying a whole new setup ?

Welcome to the world of sound cards.

I would return it or RMA the card, there's something wrong with it.

OK thanks I will try to do that 

If you can return it, buy something worth the money like an O2 + ODAC. Linus should be doing a review on some soonish.

I highly doubt I can return it since I have it for soon 1 years

I just remember that the buzzing noise is more intense on graphic intensive game , could it be link to my gpu ( gtx 670 ) , 

my sound card sit right on top of it.

I just remember that the buzzing noise is more intense on graphic intensive game , could it be link to my gpu ( gtx 670 ) , 

Probably, but it's not because the gpu is a problem. The sound card shouldn't be making any audible noise to you.

the sound card itself doesnt make any noise, its the headphone plugged 

the sound card itself doesnt make any noise, its the headphone plugged 

:rolleyes: That's what he means. A soundcard this expensive should be shielded from such interference. If you can move the soundcard to a different slot, it might make a difference.

There might be a way to get rid of the EMIs, you can try and isolate the metal bracket with some tape (the one electricians use), just make sure you use enough of the stuff to prevent the bracket from touching your pc enclosure.

Welcome to the world of sound cards.

I would return it or RMA the card, there's something wrong with it.

Actually, mine produces a buzzing noise (the noise floor is audible) with my IEMs, so maybe it's just a feature.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Actually, mine produces a buzzing noise (the noise floor is audible) with my IEMs, so maybe it's just a feature.

What a great feature to have :rollseyes:

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading that GPU suck so much power, it messes with the voltages of the other devices present in the computer. These changes in voltages supposedly pass trough your headphones as well causing them to hiss and make other random noises. That is why most sound cards do nothing more but have a circuit in them that deliver stable power to a DAC/Amp that is very much like the one on your motherboard. So the only difference in sound comes from clean power. To prevent this, you'd most likely have to get an external solution powered of the wall.

I hope someone a little more knowledgeable can confirm this, but until then [CITATION NEEDED]

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading that GPU suck so much power, it messes with the voltages of the other devices present in the computer. These changes in voltages supposedly pass trough your headphones as well causing them to hiss and make other random noises. That is why most sound cards do nothing more but have a circuit in them that deliver stable power to a DAC/Amp that is very much like the one on your motherboard. So the only difference in sound comes from clean power. To prevent this, you'd most likely have to get an external solution powered of the wall.

I hope someone a little more knowledgeable can confirm this, but until then [CITATION NEEDED]

Depends a lot on the design of various components. A constant hiss is usually due to impedance missmatch or too much gain, and EMI is much more annoying.

Not enough power or voltage to your components would usually just cause a blue screen....

Depends a lot on the design of various components. A constant hiss is usually due to impedance missmatch or too much gain, and EMI is much more annoying.

Not enough power or voltage to your components would usually just cause a blue screen....

I didn't mean not enough voltage. I mean the changes in voltage. Much like very high end audio gear has 2 grounds to avoid interference, the audio device would share a ground with the graphics card.

When searching the issue i had a few years ago again i found lines like:

"Your videocard seems to break into your audio circuitry"

"That's likely your mainboard/processor or graphics card switching clock speeds to keep wasted cycles and heat development to a minimum. It does that a few hundred time per second, so it sounds like some kind of insect chirping."

"Changing the clock speeds induces tiny electromagnetic waves which travel through all the wires"

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

I didn't mean not enough voltage. I mean the changes in voltage. Much like very high end audio gear has 2 grounds to avoid interference, the audio device would share a ground with the graphics card.

When searching the issue i had a few years ago again i found lines like:

"Your videocard seems to break into your audio circuitry"

"That's likely your mainboard/processor or graphics card switching clock speeds to keep wasted cycles and heat development to a minimum. It does that a few hundred time per second, so it sounds like some kind of insect chirping."

"Changing the clock speeds induces tiny electromagnetic waves which travel through all the wires"

I still think what those guys are describing is EMI which doesn't travel through any medium. Ground loops wont happen inside a component with a single ground (a computer, for example); they happen between devices using separate grounds.

Ground-Loop-01.jpg

I still think what those guys are describing is EMI which doesn't travel through any medium. Ground loops wont happen inside a component with a single ground (a computer, for example); they happen between devices using separate grounds.

Thanks for making me a little smarter today :D