Headphone and Sound Card/or DAC Recommendations?

I have become increasingly more criticizing of my audio quality ever since watching my first video of LinusTechTips. I would love to be able to hear my music in a new way, but I'm lost as how to get started. I bought a Sennheiser Momentum, but returned them for a Sennheiser IE 80 because I just couldn't notice enough of a difference in my audio quality for the price of the Momentums. I love how my IE 80s can handle my audio clearer at higher levels, but I haven't noticed much of a difference beyond that. The one headset that I noticed considerable difference in audio quality was my Sennheiser PXC 450 noise-cancelling headphones. Those were the first Sennheiser headphones I had ever bought and they were absolutely fantastic. I heard the different layers of songs and be left in complete awe when I wouldn't recognize a song because of how detailed and wonderful it sounded. Unfortunately, I noticed that I was sensitive to noise-cancelling technology. So much so that I eventually had to return the headphones because of how much pain they caused me. 

I'm wanting that feeling again. I want to be able to hear the different layers of audio in a song, but I'm lost as where to start. I'm looking at a pair of Sennheiser HD 700 headphones and a sound card or a DAC, but I don't know which is better. Should I get a DAC or a sound card? I'm mostly only going to be using a DAC or a sound card for music purposes. As for the headphone, is it good for what I'm wanting or is there something better that you could recommend?

• Sound Signature: Balanced, but I still want to be able to pick out the differences
  • Mobility: No preference
  • Budget: Preferably less than $500, but will go up to $700 for the headphones. The sound card or DAC, less than $400

This is all incredibly subjective/personal/emotion-based and nigh-on impossible to give a recommendation for. 

So let's make it a bit easier. What sort of headphone are you looking for? 

* sound signature (neutral, bass-heavy, treble-heavy)

* mobile/foldable or only used in-home

* ease of drive (usually on phones or mobile players you'd prefer something easy to drive (high sensitivity)).

* Budget.

you can add points.

• Sound Signature: Balanced, but I still want to be able to pick out the differences
  • Mobility: No preference
  • Budget: Preferably less than $500, but will go up to $700 for the headphones. The sound card or DAC, less than $400

IMO, start small.  The first step to becoming an audio enthusiast is knowing exactly what you want, and dropping $500 on your first pair of headphones is not the way to go.  Worrying about source, amplification, etc, those can come later, as well as the pain of your wallet getting thinner :)

I suggest starting with the Sennheiser HD558, AKG K612, or the Audio-Technica AD700x.  Also peruse the cheaper options in the Audio Gear Recommendations Thread stickied at the top, that's it's intended use after all.

If you're going to drop more money, I suggest you keep your budget at 300-400, that can easily get you something like an HD600, AD1000x, DT880, Fidelio X2, or an HE400S.  It's all about finding out what you like, which is why it's good to start smaller.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

8 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

IMO, start small.  The first step to becoming an audio enthusiast is knowing exactly what you want, and dropping $500 on your first pair of headphones is not the way to go.  Worrying about source, amplification, etc, those can come later.

I suggest starting with the Sennheiser HD558, AKG K612, or the Audio-Technica AD700x.  Also peruse the cheaper options in the Audio Gear Recommendations Thread stickied at the top, that's it's intended use after all.

If you're going to drop more money, I suggest you keep your budget at 300-400, that can easily get you something like an HD600, AD1000x, DT880, Fidelio X2, or an HE400S.  It's all about finding out what you like, which is why it's good to start smaller.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Too many people jump into the deep end, without learning how to tread water first.

It's all a learning experience, and it's best done through your own ears instead of the experience of others.:)

25 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Well you can add the B&W P7 to that list aswell then. ;)

47 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

IMO, start small.  The first step to becoming an audio enthusiast is knowing exactly what you want, and dropping $500 on your first pair of headphones is not the way to go.  Worrying about source, amplification, etc, those can come later, as well as the pain of your wallet getting thinner :)

Alright, thanks :) After reading some reviews on the sound signatures, I think I'll give the HD600s a try. Should I get a DAC to go with them?

21 minutes ago, Kenneth0077 said:

Alright, thanks :) After reading some reviews on the sound signatures, I think I'll give the HD600s a try. Should I get a DAC to go with them?

Try them out first. No point in spending money that could potentially be unnecessary. :)