New CPU help.

Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,
1 minute ago, Deer God said:

Can you kind of explain what you mean by keeping the same socket. 

And like a basic explanation/walkthrough of resetting my bios & driver update once I put in the new CPU. (or a good youtube video explaining this process)

Different types of CPUs and Mother Boards have different ways they connect, for a board to work with a CPU they need to be the same socket which is more than less the pins and size. 

If you want to keep your board you need an AMD FX series, otherwise you'll need a new board for an i5 or whatever

Some boards have a button, other wise just unplug the pc and pop the little round battery out for a few minutes to reset the bios(this stores basic hardware settings). Then you can log in and use windows update or better yet use a 3rd party tool like driver booster. 

I only skimmed this but it seems pretty good, alcohol works well to remove paste and touch some metal before working to discharge

I have a few questions regarding getting a new CPU. I feel like it's time I need an upgrade and that's where I think one is needed most.

So first question is which CPU would you recommend? My currents CPU is: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-core 3.6 GHz

(other possibly relevant specs: 8GB RAM,GPU=GeForce GTX 760, mobo=Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3)

And second question is installing a new CPU after I purchase it. I know how to physically take out my old one and put in a new CPU, but is it as easy is that? or what else do I have to do?

Keeping the same socket? the fx-8320e or 8350 black 

other than that yeah, just clean up the thermal paste if you plan to use the cooler and probably need to reset your bios, then just do a driver update and system clean as good practice

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Keeping the same socket? the fx-8320e or 8350 black 

other than that yeah, just clean up the thermal paste if you plan to use the cooler and probably need to reset your bios, then just do a driver update and system clean as good practice

And like a basic explanation/walkthrough of resetting my bios & driver update once I put in the new CPU. (or a good youtube video explaining this process)

1 minute ago, Deer God said:

Different types of CPUs and Mother Boards have different ways they connect, for a board to work with a CPU they need to be the same socket which is more than less the pins and size. 

If you want to keep your board you need an AMD FX series, otherwise you'll need a new board for an i5 or whatever

Some boards have a button, other wise just unplug the pc and pop the little round battery out for a few minutes to reset the bios(this stores basic hardware settings). Then you can log in and use windows update or better yet use a 3rd party tool like driver booster. 

I only skimmed this but it seems pretty good, alcohol works well to remove paste and touch some metal before working to discharge

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]