SSD for Linux

rk2319

Is there any particular reason that you need a lot of performance for Linux?  Linux tends to be fairly easy on its storage compared to the Windows OS's.

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Is there any particular reason that you need a lot of performance for Linux?  Linux tends to be fairly easy on its storage compared to the Windows OS's.

No reason I just like knowing that I am using quality parts

5 minutes ago, rk2319 said:

No reason I just like knowing that I am using quality parts

I know ADATA has a lot of OEM wins these days, but I suspect there's a lot more Samsung drives out there. 

The kernel developers have had occasion to blacklist certain functionality on certain SSDs.  For example, this is an interesting snippet of code in the Linux kernel:

/* devices that don't properly handle queued TRIM commands */
	        { "Micron_M500*",               NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	                                                ATA_HORKAGE_ZERO_AFTER_TRIM, },
	        { "Crucial_CT*M500*",           NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Micron_M5[15]0*",            "MU01", ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Crucial_CT*M550*",           "MU01", ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Crucial_CT*MX100*",          "MU01", ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Samsung SSD 8*",             NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |

The ADATA driver might not have the problem, or it just may not have been tested.  I can't say for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

I know ADATA has a lot of OEM wins these days, but I suspect there's a lot more Samsung drives out there. 

The kernel developers have had occasion to blacklist certain functionality on certain SSDs.  For example, this is an interesting snippet of code in the Linux kernel:

/* devices that don't properly handle queued TRIM commands */
	        { "Micron_M500*",               NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Crucial_CT*M500*",           NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Micron_M5[15]0*",            "MU01", ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Crucial_CT*M550*",           "MU01", ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Crucial_CT*MX100*",          "MU01", ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	        { "Samsung SSD 8*",             NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |

It is saying that the Samsung, crucial, and Micron drives do not fully support TRIM, correct?

1 minute ago, rk2319 said:

It is saying that the Samsung, crucial, and Micron drives do not fully support TRIM, correct?

Those particular models are known to be defective with something called "queued TRIM".  TRIM commands can still be sent to those "blacklisted" drives though.  Users won't notice anything.  But I thought it was an interesting triviality of the Linux kernel code.  I'm sure you can Google the reasons why those models were blacklisted.

In all honesty, ADATA or Samsung will probably work out just fine.  Or Intel which seems to be the gold standard of firmware quality. 

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Those particular models are known to be defective with something called "queued TRIM".  TRIM commands can still be sent to those "blacklisted" drives though.  Users won't notice anything.  But I thought it was an interesting triviality of the Linux kernel code.  I'm sure you can Google the reasons why those models were blacklisted.

In all honesty, ADATA or Samsung will probably work out just fine.  Or Intel which seems to be the gold standard of firmware quality. 

Ok thank you very much for your help!